Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 All Ye All Ye All Come Free!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic All Ye All Ye All Come Free!!! Next Topic
Page: of 3

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  12:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh! I always thought it was "Allie, Allie outs in free" meaning that anyone still "out" could come home free! I always had to call people in 'cause I could never find them, but I was pretty good at getting home free - I think I was pretty sneaky! And, tetherball! That was a blast! I don't why I was so good at that, cause I was a tiny little thing - but I guess I could jump pretty good. And, all those other games! I really feel sorry for kids these days. They never get to play outside with a bunch of other kids and just run all over like we did. Even when my kids were little, during the 80's and 90's, I felt it was too dangerous for them to be outside unsupervised. I think it's even worse now. Do you ladies think that society will ever get back to being innocent, again?
Marlene
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  2:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Kick the Can was a biggie in my neighborhood in Chicago 'burbs. Freeze Tag (like tag, but when you got caught, you had to freeze like a statue). Something called "Spud," kind of like tag where the person who was it would throw a rubber ball in the air, everyone would run, then the ball was the tagging mechanism. Red Rover was lots of fun...'til it got banned from the school playground when someone 'came over' and broke another kid's arm. We played Ditch and Flashlight Tag, too, but I had forgotten all about it.
Plus one neighbor with kids had a wonderful blacktop driveway, and we would spend hours with chalk drawing cities, villages and farms for the matchbox cars to drive down. The dad would get home from work, and we'd make him park on the street, then pray for no rain.
We'd pretend our bikes were horses... and a nearby duckpond with a bridge to an island was the source of lots of 'pretend' castaway games.
And when new houses were being built, we used to love to climb around in the framing (lucky none of us were hurt!). Years later it was a great sales tactic for us kids selling cookies and candy for various activities.
Re-staging our favorite movies was also a favorite, ya know, singing into hairbrushes. It was the 70s, so "Grease" was the word.

I almost feel bad that my 3-yr-old son will miss out on this kind of neighborhood fun in the country...but I also know things aren't the same in suburbia, and I'd be unlikely to let him run wild until after dark.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  4:14:54 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm not sure that the Susie Steamboat one is appropriate to share here... (it's rather naughty!)

SeeSee my playmate,
Come out and play with me,
And share your dollies three,
Climb up my apple tree,
Slide down my rainbow (rainbarrel)
In through the cellar door,
And we'll be jolly friends,
Forever more!

Miss Sue,
Miss Sue,
Miss Sue from Alabama,
sitting in her rocker,
eating Betty Crocker,
Watching the clock go
tick, tock, tick-tock, shawallawalla
tick, tock, tick-tock, shawallawalla
A B C D E F G
wash those spots right off of me!
Moonshine, moonshine, double freeze! (then the first person to blink loses)
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  5:48:07 PM  Show Profile
Hop Scotch anybody? Or how about stomping your foot in the middle of a pop can and walking around clomping clomping clomping. Kind of like tap shoes only sillier!

Walk with a wiggle
walk with a jiggle
walk with a little dog
that bends in the middle!

pease porriage hot
pease porriage cold
pease porriage in the pot
nine days old
some like it hot
some like it cold
some like it in the pot
nine days old.

Oh for the hot summer fun days of childhood.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Morning_Dew
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
cottageville sc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  7:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Morning_Dew a Yahoo! Message
wow the mwmories... we played blind mans bluffwere one person puts on a blind fold and tries to find the others by the sound of thier voice.and double dutch with the jump ropes i loved that. thnanks for the smile from all the memories i hadn't thought of in yrs.

every gardener should make time for the humming BIRDS and honey BEES, stop and smell the flowers.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  7:18:54 PM  Show Profile
How about Red light, Green light? I remember all these and the first time I was taken snipe hunting. Last Sunday at our church picnic we had 20+ people,kids and adults playing Red Rover. It was great fun!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  7:20:29 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in the 50's also. The "big" difference is: I grew up in Germany. Reading through these posts, I am in tears. Why? Because I realized that the world of children is ONE World! We played exactly the same games that you all describe. Of cause, our words were German, but they also served the same purpose within the game and we all had our own, "local" versions created from misunderstanding and from trying to make some sense of it. The hide and seek, skipping rope, Red Rover...all of them.
One of my favorite ones was were one child (usually a girl, cause rarely did we have boys and girls games) sat in the grass, the others would form a circle around her and then sing something like: parsley and ...(? serveral herbs) are growing in my garden, ...(name of the center girl) is the bride, can't wait much longer...( continues..)
During my training to become a nurse midwife I discovered that the herbs mentioned in that rhyme were in the olden times used to make uterine infusion to cause abortions! Can you imagine? Of cause, as kids of maybe 5 or 6 years, we had no idea.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Kids games and songs aren't all that different in Japan too. I was born in Canada, but I did go to Japanese school, and we learned games and songs. Everyone knows Rock, Paper, Scissors, right? In Japanese, instead of "One, two, three" for some reason it's "Jan, ken, pon!" They are nonsense words. And some kids songs I thought were purely Japanese tunes, my co-worker knew it! With English words, but it was the same song. I was stunned. Not that I can remember the song or anything.... For hide and seek, the person doesn't count, but instead calls out, "Can I come find you now?" and if you're not ready you respond "No, not yet!" and when you no longer get a response, you can start searching. There are also games similar to Red Light, Green Light and Red Rover.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Did anyone ever play Statue? One person would swing each person, let go and they would stay still as they landed. After each person was swung, the "Swinger" would walk around seeing if anyone moved. You would try to move without the "SWinger" seeing you. If you were caught you became the "Swinger".

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  1:25:31 PM  Show Profile
What a fun walk down memory lane this was!!! Eileen, i loved those coke can tap shoes...how 'bout playing cards clothespinned to the spokes of your bike...was that a wonderful sound or what???... besides being seriously cool!! when we played Hide & Seek we said "ollie, ollie, and what sounded like "in the front seat"...had no idea what it meant. My daughter and i were sitting in the living room the other night and heard the music of an ice cream truck and almost knocked each other over trying to get out the door...we missed him!obviously, he didn't know you have to drive realll slow. I'm afraid to know what a push-up costs these days.
How blessed we all are!!!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  3:45:46 PM  Show Profile
SeeSee my playmate,
Come out and play with me,
And share your dollies three,
Climb up my apple tree,
Slide down my rainbow (rainbarrel)
In through the cellar door,
And we'll be jolly friends,
Forever more!

Then...
So sorry playmate,
I can not play with you
My dollies have the flu
Boo-hoo, boo-hoo, boo-hoo
Can't slide the rainbow,
Down to your cellar door
But we'll still be jolly friends
Forever More 1-2-3-4 :)
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  2:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone, remember this one?

Circle, circle
dot, dot!
Now I have my cootie shot!

(this was back when boys were icky)

Cat
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  7:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Good one, Cat! and how 'bout the one where you'd punch the person you were with and yelled "PUNCH BUGGY" when you saw a volkswagon bug. another favorite - in high school, when you saw a car with only one headlight you said,"Bdida" and your date was suppose to kiss you. i have NO idea where this came from. I'm thinkin' some guys musta made it up. and don't forget yellin' "SHOTGUN" to ride up front on the passenger side.

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  4:09:20 PM  Show Profile
We did the one headlight game only we called out "padiddle". Where do we get such names?

Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Slug Bug instead of Punch Puggy, padiddle instead of bdida. LOL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic All Ye All Ye All Come Free!!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page