Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 All Ye All Ye All Come Free!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic All Ye All Ye All Come Free!!! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  2:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Kick the can, red light green light, and ditch!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  2:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Ditch???

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  6:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, what is ditch?

We had two ice cream guys. One came by in the mornings on a bicycle with a bell and a freezer on the back. He had fudgecicles. Mr. Softee came by in the evening with a lighted musical truck, and a walk up window. His ice cream was "fake" according to my mom. She was right, but it still tasted good after playing hide and seek. The cones cost a nickel. I was lucky because my parents would fork over the nickel any night I wanted, Some of the kids on the block only got one a week. I always felt bad about that, but lucky at the same time. Mom and Dad never balked at anything I wanted to eat, because I never had an appetite, and they wanted me to eat!

jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  7:52:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpbluesky

Hopscotch and Hula Hoops? And the most fun outdoor game for me - the race to the ice cream truck.

too funny, that was mine as well!

Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 25 2005 :  6:27:59 PM  Show Profile
Ditch was like a big hide and seek game in the neighborhood at night. Teams, you hide in the neighbors bushes etc. It was fun.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  09:00:24 AM  Show Profile
Ollie Ollie Oxen Free was something that was yelled out before throwing a ball over the roof of the Grange Hall to the opposing "team". I STILL don't understand that one.
Others that I remember:
Kick the Can
Mother May I
Red Light, Green Light
Simon Says
I hadn't heard of Kick Ball until recently and that was when my son and his wife said they had just joined a Kick Ball team. They love it.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  09:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh I remember doing that to. I can't remember the rules though or the point of the game except to see if you could get the ball over the roof and if the opposing team could get it back. How many tries did you get? HMMM.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  10:00:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh! My! What timing! I was just trying to remember the rules to some of the games that I played in East Texas in the 50's. Does anyone else remember "Button,button, whose got the button?" We played everyone of the other games mentioned as wellas " Strut Miss Susie" . These were games that my grandmother taught me in the country. In houston, we played vacant lot baseball - boys against the girls and we girls always won! (Or at least that's the way I remember it. ) On our block we also had sit-up contests. Crazy, huh? But, then I wonder how many of us had flat tummies as adults?
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  10:50:12 AM  Show Profile
The way I remember Button Button was:
Everyone sat or stood in a circle except one person who was in the middle and they needed to guess where the button was. The kids in the circle would, all at the same time, pretend to pass a button around the circle. If the middle "guesser" chose the wrong person they had to keep guessing where the button was; if they chose the one with the button, then the one getting "caught" with the button became IT and had to then guess where the button was.
I remember playing it in kindergarten when we had to stay inside at recess because of really bad weather.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  1:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! I had totally forgotten that my sister and I used to play "Mother May I" and "Red Light, Green Light" when we were children. Our brothers never wanted to play. Boys!! I had forgotten ALLL about those! Ahhhh....that was great. Then we'd get done playing and go listen to the New Kids on the Block (I was a child in the 80s!)
Go to Top of Page

KJAMES
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

KAREN
SC
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  1:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Hey Michele, can't believe you mentioned lightning bugs. I was looking out the front door last night and saw some lightning bugs. I got so excited I made my husband get up and look at them. Haven't seen any in a long time, or maybe just been to busy to look.
Reading about all the games we used to play made me smile. I am always telling people that are a lot younger than me how kids didn't have to have all these organized sports to keep them busy. All we needed was a bunch of kids that wanted to have some fun.
I can remember my Dad standing on the back porch calling me to come in it was getting dark. No really it was already dark, time to take a bath and go to bed. Remember how good you used to sleep when you were a kid, asleep almost as soon as your head hit the pillow. Oh to have that kind of sleep again.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  1:15:34 PM  Show Profile
We played "Duck, Duck Goose" and "Red Light Green Light" as kids in my front yard, all the neighborhood kids would gather on my lawn and we would play until we were forced to come inside for dinner...hehe. Those were the days! What memories reading all these brings back.

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  3:20:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farm Girls Wow do all of these posts take me right back to my childhood! Love it.

Nana Naomi Since you are in Tyler, Tx, you should join the Howdy Ya'll Farm Girl chapter.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  10:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget Simon Says!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  12:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Howdy!
How do I get in touch with that chapter?
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  8:24:01 PM  Show Profile
KJAMES, your phrase "time to take a bath and go to bed" was exactly what my mom said every night! It was always after dark when I came in, very dirty and sweaty, with new mosquito bites. It felt so good to get into the warm water and then get PJ's on. Then it was oreos and milk and off to bed. The house and the bed felt so secure and comfy. Oh, to be a little girl again for just one night.

jpbluesky

The sun is but a morning star.

Last sentence from "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  7:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Cinderella, dressed in yella
Went downtown to meet her fella.....

I don't think we have mentioned jumping rope have we? Remember double dutch? We spent a lot of time jumping rope on our street and I loved running in with another girl and the two of us jumping at once.

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  9:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
My kids are playing lots of flashlight tag since we moved. And they're outside roaming in the little neighborhood until 10 p.m. some nights! It's great they can do that here, although I still keep a close eye on them.

They still play many of the games mentioned here. And both *love* jacks!

Paula J.

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  11:08:20 PM  Show Profile
We played American skipping for hours. It was with elastic, two friends had the elastic around their ankles or legs, depending how many levels you were up too, and you had to do different moves and jumps in the middle of the elastic. You could also use 2 chairs, if no friends around.
Have never found out why it was called American skipping, but that was what we played in New Zealand. Also hopscotch and bullrush. That is where 1 person stands in the middle of the field and you have to get past them to other side. Everyone runs at once.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  11:19:53 PM  Show Profile
We called that same thing chinese jumprope...isn't that funny? We played hopscotch alot too. Bullrush sounds alot like what we called Red Rover.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  4:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh, gosh! I forgot about that game!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  7:10:12 PM  Show Profile
What about hand clapping games? SeeSee my playmate, (clap, clap) come out and play with me... Miss Susie had a steamboat, the steamboat had a bell... Miss Sue, Miss Sue, Miss Sue from Alabama, Sittin' in a rocker, Eatin' Betty Crocker, watching the clock go tick, tock, tick-tock shawallawalla...

I'm sure there are others, but those are the only ones I remember.

What about foot hockey? Played a lot of that when I was little.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  07:53:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh. I totally forgat about these!!!! What great memories!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:05:30 AM  Show Profile
And then there is "Pease Porriage hot , pease porriage cold, pease porriage in the pot nine days old...."
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, I remember that one, but the ones mentioned previously are new to me. I think I'd like to learn them!! Care to share the whole verses?

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic All Ye All Ye All Come Free!!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page