Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Daughters, Sewing Machines, and Other Musings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Daughters, Sewing Machines, and Other Musings Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  07:34:24 AM  Show Profile
On my recent visit to my daughter's family, she and I took some time to go alone to Goodwill and Value Village among some other errands. We had some nice talks on the drive and it's so good to reconnect this way. On our stop at Value Village (my first visit ever there - reminiscent of Goodwill), I spied a late 1940's-1950's White sewing machine. It reminded me very much of my mother's Kenmore model. Since my daughter has been having all sorts of sewing machine woes with her $99 Brother models, I decided for $14.99 that I would get her this heavy-duty model. It was returnable if it did not work. (Got it home and SIL reattached the motor and belt, printed out a manuel for it from the web, and good to go!)....

But that made me think!!! Just recently I purchased a treadle sewing machine that is one year older than my own mother. With the purchase of this White, she now has a sewing machine that is probably older than I am. And, when I pass down my own 1971 sewing machine to my grandaughter, she will have one that is older than her own mother! We've got a cycle going here!!!

In addition to that, on the drive home Christy said to me, "Mom, do you ever think you were born way too late? Wouldn't you have liked to live in a simplier time? I sure do." Well, y'all know what my answer to that was!!!! She really misses being able to go to our farm and spend time in the country - it imprinted on her forever, and wishes to return to that quieter life, along with the associated hardships. I think I may have my daughter join in with the Farmgirl Chapter idea!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jul 04 2005 07:39:14 AM

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  07:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clare! I have an old Singer that belonged to my grandmother, she used it for a sewing business she had in the 50's. It's the kind that when not in use, it folds underneath the cabinet and the top can be used for a table. I have it in my kitchen, next to my stove, to hold all my cookbooks :)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  09:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Howdy!
You made me realize that I have an old Viking that I got in around 1973! ( I'm an old first time mom.) It's 20 (!!!!) years older than my daughter! I need to have it serviced and teach her to sew this summer. She's really tall for an 11 year old and T-shirts are a snap to sew. With current styles being what they are, none of them are long enough for her. This way she can choose her own fabric and then we can learn differnet ways to decorate them!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  3:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Hello Clare, my sister just GAVE me an old treadle sewing machine she had in her basement. She said she had no use for it and thought it would fit with me and my "weird old ways". I love it, Im still trying to clean it up a bit, it's a singer, I think, writing is still blurred, they had all kinds of things spilled on it. Was in the basement for YEARS. Your conversation with your daughter hits home. It is sweet she has those memories, they will never leave her. I try everyday to do what we talked about a few months ago, bring the farm to our home, and I do in every way possible and in every way that I know how. But, there is an ache so deep inside me, I cant explain it to anyone. Why or how I long for this so badly, I dont really know. My granparents had a farm when I was very young, I dont even remember it. I want it so bad but I also NEED it just as bad. I will do all I can to achieve this. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  10:54:28 PM  Show Profile
I have aquired lots of really neat old stuff from family members who think I am a little weird..BUT..one of my favorite great Uncles (he died about 3 years ago) who was my beloved grandma's brother..they were the oldest two of 12 children..made sure that out of all the zillions of aunts, cousins and all that I was the one who got my great grandma's things he had...2 kerosene lamps that she took with their family to CAlif during the depression, her big washboard, some doilies and small stuff and a few little things that belonged to my great grandpa too. I feel really honored to get to have these things. He knew I would treasure them. If that means I am weird...so be it!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  05:32:09 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I feel the same way. my sisters tease me so much but I dont care either. When they dont know what to do w/ something OR how to do something, who do you think they turn to?? ME!! "old things" have history, they have at least one story to tell. The've been touched by others before us. I collect old books, I've got one book, an old english hymnal dated 1704. The story that book could tell! One of my favorites is "Little Women" it's dated 18-something, cant remember BUT what I love is the inscription inside; It's from a mother to her daughter on Christmas. Everytime I look through this book I can imagine this child who's name was Katherine, being so exceited to receive it. Her mothers loving words to her with the date and xmas day written in it. You can feel it somehow. It still lives. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Sheryl
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Sheryl
TX
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  2:05:47 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad to be a part of a group of women who value those who came before us.

Sheryl
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:54:10 PM  Show Profile
I have an old machine too, I have had pressure to get rid of it, but I like it.
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  07:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh, what a sweet thread! I too have an affinity for antiques, especially linens (like aprons & hankies) and books. I don't have any quite as old as Michele's, unfortunately, but I do have a good deal from the turn of the century. I also have my grandmother's sewing machine, a big Husqvarna in a large sewing desk with four drawers, and like Molly's, it folds into the desk so that the top is flat when not in use. I sure wish I knew how to use the darn thing.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  3:33:41 PM  Show Profile
I have a few old sewing machines. One I bought at a yard sale for $35.00 and it is beautiful. It is oak has carving on the drawers. But the leather cable is missing...so I need to contact the guy MJ mentions in her book in Washington to get it replaced. I am just dieing to use the machine. I have another one that was my gradnmothers. It is in a case because it was an old portable. The case is wood and in pretty good condition. Another one is just the wood cabinet. I got it for $5.00 at a yard sale. My hubby refinished it and it is a beautiful place to hold my sewing machine. The treadle is still in tact, even though I do not use that part of this machine. I have another old machine that just sits around and looks good. It has no cabinet.
I have seen other ones around, but it seems I have no room for them.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice scream!"
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  8:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
I was just at the local thrift shop, and found an old treddle machien. I was so excited! I had to show my girls who are just getting as excited as I about sewing how it worked, my oldest was so excited because it looked just like the one in Laura Ingalls Wilders book. It was not quite that old but it was fun to share with the girls. The store is gearing up for the big sale in september and are holding this item for the big auction. I want to go just to see how much it goes for. I love old things and when my grandmother gave me all her vintage sewing stufffrom her sewing buisness, I knew I had to have a display someday. Her thimbles almost talk to me. Our home is much too small right now, but I told my dh that we needed a bigger house just so I can collect old sewing stuff. He said I collect enough as it is! 5 50 gallon drums of fur cant be too much ....is it???

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  9:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Something will happen one day and you will get a place for your display. I finally have somewhere to display my cream cans, by accident.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  05:11:47 AM  Show Profile
Ah, my favorite subject. I have driven both of my sisters to jealousy because I have our great-grandmother's Singer featherweight machine.
It's the best machine that I've ever used. Beats out the "new" Singer my huband bought me! But, I don't tell him that. There is a connectedness with "Gram" when I sit down to sew. I can picture her making clothes for my grandfather and quilts to keep them warm. As a single mother in the early 1900's, she was an amazing example of thrift and content. When I hear about what all of my grandmothers were like from my parents, I see the things in me that came from them. What a gift that is. And to be able to use the items they did is a gift that I can pass on to my daughter.
Go to Top of Page

Morning_Dew
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
cottageville sc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  05:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Morning_Dew a Yahoo! Message
when my hubby and i moved to SC my mother in law gave me her old singer, no clue when it was made. but it will sew just about anything.and i found the table to house a sewing machine but no machine in it. got it for a song. i used that old singer and taught myself to sew. i made a quilt for my hubby that folds to a pillow, and one for my mother in law also. i gave her the site so she can come check everything out. hope you all love her as much as i do.

every gardener should make time for the humming BIRDS and honey BEES, stop and smell the flowers.
Go to Top of Page

teresa
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

teresa
marysville wa
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  07:14:24 AM  Show Profile
I also love antique sewing machines and started to collect them when I realized they do require space! I've stopped at 3 but would love to have more. I have a 1901 'Red Eye', a 1926 Singer in it's cabinet and a 1934 Singer also with cabinet. I keep my 1901 on top of a beautiful old White treadle cabinet that I intend to restore and put to use! If you go to the Singer site on the Web (or whatever brand your old machine is) and look for the serial number you can determine the year of your machine and where it was made!

The best is yet to come!
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  09:27:25 AM  Show Profile
I have a 1870-ish Willcox & Gibbs treadle in a parlor cabinet. It is a chain-stitch machine and doesn't use a bobbin. It makes the most beautiful stitch! I found it at an estate sale a few years ago. It came with the instruction manual and there are no pictures or diagrams, just words, though there is a drawing on the cover that is of a Civil War era costumed lady sitting at the sewing machine. I have wondered many times about the history of that machine. Who owned it and where did it come from?
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  1:50:34 PM  Show Profile
I think I've missed out on something all these years... My Mom had this abnoxious, tempermental Singer sewing machine that would work for her and no one else. In Home Ec class, I brought a sewing project home and totally wrecked it on my Mom's machine. I don't think I got a good mark, and that ended any sort of relationship with machine sewing. My Mom had no trouble with that sewing machine making tea towels from old rice sacks and making us school bags. It was my Mom's youngest sister who excelled at sewing, and until I was in university, I thought for every special occasion, you had to go to Fabricland, flip through endless catalogues to find a dress/skirt/shirt pattern you liked, find the fabric, get enough of it cut, and all delivered to my Aunt weeks before the event for her to make. When my Granma died last year, my Mom got her old sewing machine. I think I might just be brave enough to borrow it for a while and take another crack at machine sewing....

Cat
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  7:13:37 PM  Show Profile
What a shame about your school sewing. I am not sure that I tried using Mum's machine for my school sewing. The girls have been machine sewing lately on other people's machines.

How wonderful about the rice sacks. That is something I didn't know. What is the material like?
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  7:18:34 PM  Show Profile
http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/periodicals/bittersweet/su77f.htm

Under the number [34] is a picture of the rice sack tea towels, thanks for sharing Citycat. The things were beautiful weren't they?
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  9:51:48 PM  Show Profile
My Mom never did anything as elaborate as embroider her rice sack tea towels! Most of the stamped on logos are long gone now, washed off from repeated washings. Uh, I'm not familiar with cloth types. To the touch it was fairly rough at first, but with more washing became smoother to the touch. I guess they're made of cotton. Back in the day, we got our rice in cloth bags. I don't remember when it stopped. Early-mid 80's? Now the rice comes in re-enforced paper bags. My Mom stores rice in a large rectangular metal container. When she found out I just had rice in a bag, she also got me a large rectangular metal container. But I digress...
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  10:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Digress away. We have had ugly polythene type bags for our rice for as long as I can remember, and I'm in my early 40s!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  9:05:06 PM  Show Profile
I learned to sew on my grandma's Singer Featherweight machine. Before she passed away she gave it to me. My youngest, who will be starting 9th grade next month, has asked me to teach her how to sew (we homeschool). TOday I bought a sewing table at the local thrift store for $5 and set up grandma's machine on it. And so it goes on!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Daughters, Sewing Machines, and Other Musings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page