JRZFarmgrl
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Denise
Elkhorn Nebraska
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  2:43:38 PM  Show Profile
How much do you spend per month on groceries- per member of the household?

What helps you save the most amount of money?

I am looking to shop more effectively and reduce the cost of our monthly grocery shopping. I would love to hear some suggestions.

I make most of our food from scratch--although I do buy boxed cereal. I never buy frozen prepared meals. I am a veg, however my family eats meat

Thanks
Denise

So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  3:26:59 PM  Show Profile
i dont spend more than $100 weekly and most of the time not even that much. I buy twice yearly bulk organic items from Annie's, Natures Path and Earth's Best and those are our staples for rice and noodles and such and then we also stock the freezer twice yearly. I just noted the other day that I haven't much left in the freezer, because it's the end of the year.

Just yesterday I did the shopping and I spent only $52 for two weeks. I plan my menu and rotate meals and make sure that when I make something that there WILL BE leftovers...

At maximum I spend $400 at minimum I spend maybe $150. More often than not it's somewhere in between and I save the rest of the money for other consumables like TP, foil, extra last minute needs like baking powder and such (also bought in bulk at the co-op) and my Seventh Gen. cleaners and other odds and ends...

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  3:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Santa is bringing me a food saver so I will be buying only in bulk from now on. I have 6 in the family and 3 are growing boys. we do pasta quite often and I try and plan my meals to blend into the others so on taco night I make extra beef and save it for sloppy joes later that week. roast chickens yeild enough for chicken salad or soup . Plus I love leftovers and bring that for lunch at work instead of buying premade crap. I save a lot of money doing it like that. Did you know that extra pancakes freeze well and can be used later on right out of a toaster?

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  3:48:08 PM  Show Profile
I've come to a place in my life where I can go to the store and throw whatever I want in the cart. But many of the old habits linger. I'm a nut for quality, so I prefer to grow a lot of things myself, always organically. I also read labels, and stay away from things that aren't nourishing and just waste money, like soda, cookies, and chips.

In my younger days, when I had to be a lot more careful, I belonged to natural foods co-ops. They really helped a ton to contain the high cost of quality food.

I also cooked from scratch then, and continue to do so now. I bake virtually all our baked goods, and did then, too. You can also swap with others for eggs and such. We had our own flock then, as well as a dairy cow. When she would freshen, we'd feed pigs with the excess milk, and butcher at about 200-225 pounds. That put meat in the freezer. I made our butter and ice cream, and lots of cheese.

I know you have to have special housing for livestock, so perhaps you can barter for fresh goods in your area. Do you have a talent you can trade?

As for what I spend now, I don't much know. I go when I'm low or out of things or when I want something. I still keep a freezer and buy meat bundles, but I shop at a butchershop that specializes in prime beef, so it's not a monetary savings. But that freezer came from those days years ago when I'd buy cheese in bulk from the co-op and freeze it, as well as freeze (and can) extra garden produce. I was so careful in those days, and thanks to my animals and garden, I'd end up spending about $15 a week for the stuff I couldn't make, like olive oil and toilet paper.

The good news is things won't always be so tight.
Go to Top of Page

JRZFarmgrl
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Denise
Elkhorn Nebraska
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  4:12:50 PM  Show Profile
My problem is I go to the store and throw whatever I want in the cart, have no menu planned and I go to the nearest grocery store (Publix-which can be rather pricey). We were analyzing our budget and noticed that I spend an awful lot at Publix. I love all the tips so far. (Beth, I freeze the waffels I make and put them in the toaster in the morning).

So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  5:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi there! Here are my tips for cutting back on grocery expenses (I feed my family of three eaters and one baby for around $300/mo. which includes sundries)

1. Plan Menus. Be sure that items made for one menu are reusable other nights or in lunches. For instance, make a turkey (cheapest form of animal protein, especially at this time of year) instead of a chicken for those meat-eaters, and use leftovers for soup and sandwiches.

2. Make Everything. Bread, pizza, yogurt, baby foods, and breakfast cereal are all huge money-eaters. I know it's hard to switch your kids to a home-made cereal when they are used to commercial, but maybe you can do it gradually? Homemade granola is super-healthy and cheap, and you get to control the sugar. This also includes "making" yeast from the air (via bread starters) and "making" canned tomatoes from tomato plants.

3. Take it free whenever you can get it. Relatives will often buy a huge amount of something on sale and then have nothing to do with it. Or maybe they have a plum tree they don't want to pick. Go do the work and be sure to plan your free items into your weekly menus.

4. Don't eat meat. Or at least cut back on the amount of meat you serve. Vegetarian cookbooks like Laurel's Kitchen have tons of great ideas for filling meals made out of a variety of staple (read: cheap) grains. Develop a repetoire of flavorful sauces to add interest to these meals. Curries and tomato sauces are especially popular.

5. As a adjunct to (2), buy everything as minimally processed as possible. Dried beans, not canned. Flour, sugar, soda, and salt not mixes. Bulk, not boxes (especially oatmeal and rice -- you'll be astonished at the price differences).

6. Keep a list of your most purchased items along with the lowest price you've found them at. Then take this list shopping with you, and compare. Don't stock up on any item unless it's as low or lower than your lowest price.

7. Buy in bulk when prices are good (really good) and freeze. I believe you can offset the cost of running a stand-alone freezer with your grocery savings, but others may find differently.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  7:06:02 PM  Show Profile
One tip that I would add to the other really great ideas is when you are in the grocery store, stick to the outside aisles. Those contain the freshest, most "bang for your buck" items. Produce, diary, meat, bread, etc. With the exception sometimes of the flour/sugar aisle depending on where your grocery store locates those types of things. We also buy in bulk and then I seperate those things into individual baggies for the boys lunches. So that we stay away from those lunchable type things. It is a little more work, but much more rewarding and cheaper. Good luck!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  9:45:27 PM  Show Profile
I spend about $100 every two weeks at the grocery store..this includes dog and cat food and paper stuff. BUT...I do alot of canning from the garden during the summer and fall months..we grow alot of what we eat when we can, and we have a cow for our dairy products. I buy a 1/2 beed and a whole pig for the freezer (from our local butcher..his OWN animals and I know how they are raised!!) I check adds and do buy some things in bulk and have quite alot stocked up for if we need it. I rotate it all so nothing goes bad. I don't buy prepared things and we don't drink soda pop or things like that (well, husband does at work..thats a sore point so I won't think about it!) I pack my kid's lunches for school and cook from scratch. We rarely eat out.
I guess I get a kick out of saving what I can on the grocery bill ( I do use coupons too) and making a menu for the week (on Sunday nights before I go to bed) it really helps.
good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JRZFarmgrl
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Denise
Elkhorn Nebraska
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  2:06:07 PM  Show Profile
Well, I've started my journey to reducing the cost of groceries. I have 3 pots of different soups simmering on the stove- using up leftovers I froze from Thanksgiving (turkey, butternut squash and ham----turkey matzo ball soup, butternut squash soup and split pea). That ought to keep my husband in lunches for a while. (I freeze portions for him to grab on his way to work).

Thanks for all the wonderful tips/reminders. Sometimes convenience is just too darn expensive, getting back to the basics is nice.
Denise

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  3:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Here are some of my tips:

Shop the sales and freeze extra portions, resist going to the store when you're hungry and try to limit impulse buying.

Stay away from convenience foods and small portions, but most importantly READ LABELS and calculate cost per servings or cost per ounce to see if the big bags of stuff are really a good deal. Sometimes they aren't.

For certain items, shop the dollar stores - items like rice, dry beans, canned veggies, boxed crackers, canned soups and condiments are much cheaper at the dollar store. And they are usually the SAME items as at the grocery store.

Same for some hygiene items, esp. shampoos, and also for household cleaners. Household cleaners are VERY EXPENSIVE, so buy them at discount stores.

NOTE: when shopping at these stores, keep an eye on the expiration dates, if any, on the packages. Don't buy pancake mix or biscuit mix at the dollar store if the expiration dates are past... There are some bacteria/mold issues there.

Keep track of which store has the best value for the money on dairy products and meats...Those will always be your HIGH ticket items. Buy your seafood and meats in smaller quantities and use them for soups or flavoring in a dish rather than making them the focus of the meal. For example, if I wanted to serve one pound of shrimp as a main course, we'd never have it, but if I split it into half or quarter pound packages, I can stretch it for two to four meals by using it in dishes like fried rice, paella or gumbo. That makes that $7.99 or $8.99 a pound price bearable.

Keep a baggie in the freezer for storing soup odds n ends - this allows me to save those bits and pieces of fresh produce for using later on in soups. Comes in handy when my fresh veggies are low. I also bag single servings of meats (when there is an odd serving in the package) for use in soups.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  9:36:21 PM  Show Profile
YUM! Turkey matzo ball soup is one of my FAVORITES.

I know, I said don't eat meat, but we do have it for our Friday night meal, it's a religious obligation ;)

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  11:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
Adding to everybody else's great advice...

I cook a few times a month when sales hit. I freeze all of the meals I cook. This saves me time and money. It takes planning though.

Here's a tip I learned and love-when you do anything with veggies, put the "trash" in a freezer baggie. I use a huge freezer bag and everything goes in it. Ends from green onions, garlic peel, onion ends, carrot peels, celery ends, water used to boil veggies, everything. Then when it's full I pull it out, add it to water, cook, strain, discard solids, and voila! Veggie stock. I have never failed to make a delicious stock out of this.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  06:48:39 AM  Show Profile
You guys have shared wonderful ideas! I'm not a good manager when it comes to grocery shopping. But now that we're back on a very tight budget I need to be. Love the idea for vegetable stock. I'm making menus today.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  07:46:54 AM  Show Profile
Great idea about the veggie stock!!!

Our biggest expense is dog/cat food. We have 4 dogs and 3 cats, one of whom is allergic to the world, and eats specialty food. I easily spend $60-80 every two weeks on them alone, but it's by choice. Apparently Petsmart feels sorry for me--because I use my "Petperks" card-about every month I get a $5.00 off coupon, so that little bit helps

As far as groceries for my husband and I, I still shop like I did when I lived in England, which usually means daily--old habits die hard. I still save $$$$ though because I shop at a small mom & pop grocery here in Covington which I walk to on my lunch hour. The market is geared towards a lower income urban clientelle, who are often elderly, or monthly check holders, but this market is great--I'm really envious that they have this in their neighborhood. I've noted on more than one occasion that the meats and dairy products are far better than what I can get at Kroger or Biggs in our area--bacon wrapped filet mignon for $2.99 a piece? (they're fab!!!) They are their own butcher, so it cuts out the middle man and meat and poultry is about half of what you'd pay in big box stores--amish chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) are always $1.99 per lb. Also, the owners have a large farm and much of the vegetables are homegrown, and therefore cheaper. I really don't pay much attention to store flyers because we eat so little of what's on special that it doesn't save me any money to cater to store specials if we don't use it. This summer was the first time I bought meat in bulk, for the freezer. It was the smartest thing I've ever done, I think.

I do clip coupons--almost always for cleaning products, tp etc...Those I get at Target.

The way I've learned to save a little aside from the above, is
1. keep my spice cabinet full (hello ethnic markets--a large bag of curry for 75 cents!!!!)
2. I dry my herbs and hot peppers from the summer because I always cook with them, and they're so expensive in stores. You can make any meal more exciting that way. I even freeze fresh herbs that freeze well.

3. Have any ethinic markets near you? Both Indian and Latin American markets have incredible deals on grains, spices and weird produce. Giant bags of rice are CHEAP, and stored well, will last.

I make chili's in bulk for freezing, bean soups, curry's, gumbo's etc.. We love one dish meals in our house, so I usually have a freezer full, and I can take it out and put them in the pot for a quick dinner. Since it's just the two of us, I make meatloaf's and stews, enough for 6, so we can have leftovers, but they usually don't make it into the freezer--my husband likes stew for breakfast! [xx

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  11:50:43 AM  Show Profile
My issue is I really want to cut out both sugar and grains. But what's cheap?! Pasta, beans, &grains! AAAGH! Especially here in S. CA and where we live it's very hard to get local or buy in bulk. (remember we live 35 miles n. of Barstow in the middle of the Mojave desert). I really prefer organic but it's so much more expensive in the short run.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  07:15:35 AM  Show Profile
I became disabled after working for over 30 years and when my income went to less than 50% of what it was, I had to make drastic cuts.

One thing I found was angel food ministries http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu.asp It is not only for "poor" folks. Alot of people in my town take advantage of the low price. You pay $25.00 a month and really get alot of food. And it isn't seconds or anything like that.

Otherwise, I shop at Aldis or Savalot.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  10:54:09 AM  Show Profile
It looks like the closest one to us is in Vegas which is three hours away. It lists CA as a state but when you click on it nothing comes up.

The nearest Save A Lot is 35 miles so it isn't always worth it unless I'm headed to town.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  4:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Here, here, Beth! I too requested a vacuum sealer and dehydrator

I buy TP and paper towells in bulk same for baking essentials

one food store takes .10 off you bill for every bag you bring yourself

I also cook from scratch frozen pizzas are the only processed food we buy we are too far out for any kind of pizza delivery

and of course I clip coupons like a mad man....but only for the stuff we use regularly

I also stock up on good meat buys and freeze portions we have a huge chest freezer

we eat out of our garden year round

thanks to hubby's daily PB&J I have been making our own jellies/jams for 7 years now the blackberries grow in fields all around us
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  4:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, forgot to add we go in 4 ways w/ neighbors to split a cow for the year and our chickens bless us w/ eggs haven't bought eggs in nearly 2 years we do sell eggs too

grocery bill for a month runs roughly 300.00 for two and slightly lower in the summer when summer crops are in
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  2:25:30 PM  Show Profile
I am thinking of splitting a cow with a couple of neighbors here (father-in-law has cattle ranch) to save some money on meat -- how do you age your beef?

If you split 4 ways, how much will each family get?

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  8:15:25 PM  Show Profile
I found a local farmer that sells grass-fed organic beef - you sign up for a quarter of a steer then when four families have signed up they go ahead and butcher at a local processor. The cost per pound was equivalent to the cheapest cuts at the grocery, and I have steaks for the price of hamburger! The grass-fed beef is a little leaner than the cuts I usually get at the grocery, so it calls for some different cooking techniques, but I think it is healthier.

The biggest savings that I experience is not on the price of the beef itself, though, it is staying out of the grocery store. I buy rice, flour, and sugar in large quantities and get most of my produce from the garden or the farmer's market in season, and from the canned goods in my pantry in the winter. I bake most of my bread, so when I go to the grocery I am usually just buying eggs, milk nad cheese.

I find that if I go through every aisle in the grocery store I will do a lot of impulse buying, and that is what costs me a lot of money.

I used to use cents-off coupons a lot (the stores double them) but have decided in the last several years that I just don't really need all those processed foods that they are selling anyway.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  9:49:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals. I've learned a lot from your responses. Wanted to share some of my tricks too. I'm buying for just two - my daughter and I.

The only paper goods I buy is TP. It's just as easy to throw a cloth napkin, dish towel or cleaning rag in the wash. As they get too beat up they go into a box for barn, car and garage use. Their next stop is the trash.

I buy laundry detergent, dish soap, bath soap etc at Costco. With the way their packaging has increased I only buy laundry detergent 3 to 4 times a year, bath soap and feminine hygeine once a year and I'm still working on the gallon of hand soap I brought when we moved in - 4 years ago. I also just finished a box of 360 dryer sheets we brought 4 years ago - cut them into thirds. They still provide reduce the static and the clothes don'y smell like dryer sheets. But, now that the box is gone I won't replace them.

We raise a lamb for the freezer each year and that is our only red meat except for a standing rib roast (if I can get it on sale) for Christmas Eve. Our chickens produce enough eggs for us with some left over to sell. In the spring my daughter's 4-H poultry project will do an Egg-to-Table project so we will have homegrown chickens.

I buy pork at the store on the "Reduced for Quick Sale" section. I've purchased pork chops and tenderloin for as little as .75 and usually no more than $3.00 per pkg, family pack size. When pork shoulder is on sale I will buy the biggest I can afford that week so I can make homemade breakfast and sweet Italian sausage. I'd like to split a hog with someone, but the people raising them get them sooo big (over 300 lbs) that even half is too much for us. As I continue building out my small place I'd like to raise my own.

We don't buy a lot of processed foods, sodas and the like, which really runs up the grocery bill.

My neighbors have fruit trees so we trade or most of the time they just want to get rid of the fruit so they give it away. When my fruit trees start producing I can recipracate.

I try to use everything I cook. Leftovers make good lunches and boiling down a chicken carcass or just the pieces makes enough soup for two. If it's too hot for soup I freeze it for winter. Old bread is made into either bread crumbs, croutons or used for a Tuscan Bean and Bread soup.

I'd like to have a juicer so we can make our own fruit juice, but they are awfully expensive, so I do buy juice, mostly cranberry which I dilute a bit so it's not so tart.

Hope these help.

Jenn
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  11:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Thank you girls for all your great tips. I should shop like that, I stock up sometimes but not buy in bulk, I will from now on.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

JRZFarmgrl
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Denise
Elkhorn Nebraska
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  02:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Wow- what an amazing array of tips. I have a local flea market that sells produce much cheaper than the grocery store. I went their last week and was excited to walk away with some great bargains.
Denise

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Saving money on groceries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page