Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 It just isn't Christmas without....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic It just isn't Christmas without.... Next Topic
Page: of 2

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  06:47:10 AM  Show Profile
What?

I was thinking about this yesterday when my daughter called asking questions about her gingerbread cookie recipe. She's making a batch for her boys, and for her it just isn't Christmas without them.

Do you still bake Christmas cookies? To eat or give away, or both? Do you have traditional recipes you love to continue to make, year after year? How about pies, or Christmas dinner?

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  07:05:04 AM  Show Profile
Every year I bake dozens of cookies and then fill up baskets and give them away. Each year it is to someone different. Sugar cookies are always in there, as well as Snickerdoodles and Chocolate Sparkles. (My kids' favorite! I have to make extras.) I love the look of surprise on people's faces when we deliver the baskets. It makes all those floury hours worth every minute.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  07:07:56 AM  Show Profile
It just isn't Yuletide without Russian Tea Cakes, decorated sugar cookies and Gingerbread People (yes, people....we make them Wimmin and Men LOL)

Karin, we do the same thing but just for the neighbors (well....the people who live nearest to our home) and the post lady...Throw in a card and a few candy canes and it's a pretty little present!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  07:21:07 AM  Show Profile
The nephews' favorites are double stuff oreos, dipped in chocolate or white chocolate and rolled in crushed candy canes.

They also do a variety of other dipped cookies and snacks, like pretzel logs or mini pretzels, peanut butter cookies dipped in chocolate and rolled in crushed peanuts, etc... Super easy to make and very quick. No baking needed!

My grandmother did the whole cookies from scratch deal and usually sent us a box of cookies with homemade fudge and peanut brittle, and then a selection of citrus from her many citrus trees. It was the most anticipated box EVERY YEAR!

For me, it's not Christmas without some grapefruits, oranges and tangerines in the stocking.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  08:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Rumballs! and my moms christmas punch!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  08:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Did someone say COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a must to have sugar cookies at my house and then the whole family decorates them together. Making them is as much fun as eating them. My MIL makes some cookies that are like a toffee bar cookie - super yummy!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  08:55:34 AM  Show Profile
Love this thread; thanks for starting it! I always make Cowboy Cookies from a recipe my mom used every year. Usually make truffles, too, and cheesecake. It isn't Christmas dinner without my mom's awesome stuffing, and my grown sons would call me a grinch if I didn't make broccoli casserole. We always take the leftover turkey and make a batch of soup to share, too. And I give my mailman some of the cookies I make on Christmas Eve, and usually a Starbuck's frappucino to sip along the way. When my boys were young and jumping around the living room on Christmas Eve like live wires, begging for just one present to open, I started the tradition of "Christmas Eve underwear". I host a Christmas Eve dinner every year, and a few presents are always being handed out after the dessert. My boys are 25 and 27 now, and every year they still get their package to open.....a snazzy pair of drawers... Nance
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  08:58:15 AM  Show Profile
P-nut butter kiss cookies. I baked two batches the other night for the church Christmas tea, and there were some left over. I can feel those extra pounds coming already! We are going to bake more - decorated iced ones of trees and stars and angels.....and bourbon balls with powdered sugar......and chocolate halfway bars......mmmmm

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile
Let's see, I always search out those colorful hard candies with the fillings in them this time of year. And the kids and I bake sugar cookies to frost and decorate. My grandmother makes her stuffing into patties and bakes it on a cookie sheet, so that is definately something I have had every Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner.

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  10:54:55 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, you make me think of ribbon candy, too! My mom always got some of that for us, in addition to the filled candies you describe. They're so good! She also made the bourbon balls that JPBlueSky talks about. I loved them!

Nancy, we used to make truffles, too! And the Christmas Eve underwear is hysterical!

Beth, we used to make sugar cookies to decorate too! The kids would make such a mess, but the cookies that rose out of the mess were wonderful.

I'm with you, Tasha; I love the Russian Teacakes! And they hold well in a nice tin, and are always ready to serve.

Erin, hearing about your grandmother's box makes me smile. My mom used to send boxes and boxes of different things at Christmas, and it was more fun to open than anything else combined. Now I get to do that for my grandkids, and I know the joy your grandmother used to feel when she'd pack these things up with love and tie them with heartstrings.

Karen, you have me wondering. What are Chocolate Sparkles?

You ladies are bringing back some wonderful memories; thanks!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  1:46:17 PM  Show Profile
This is going to sound so silly, but Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls on Christmas morning....it was something my mom (who wasn't a cook) did every Christmas morning for us. I would wake up to that yummy smell and know it was time to see what Santa brought!

Since I married, we spend Christmas morning with my in-laws eating strata and turkey bacon--which is good, but not the same as those gooey sticky rolls. :)

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  2:51:44 PM  Show Profile
Nance - Can we get the recipe for Cowboy Cookies???? I want to try some of those this year!!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  3:19:32 PM  Show Profile
My mom's Bourbon Balls!!! I made them for the first time last year with my cousin/best friend Diane and we had a BLAST!!! We also made Candy Cane Peppermint Cookies and my Grandma Paul's Sugar Cookies. This year Diane called me and talked while she made her own cookies. I'll be calling her when I make mine!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  3:24:54 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes I feel left out when someone responds to everyone but me on their posts!

Oh well.....I love cinnamon rolls from Pillsbury too,Jonni. My daddy worked for Pillsbury Mills for over 35 years (and it fed our family and kept us safe and sound) so that brand was bread and butter for us. And we loved all of it. Especially the cinnamon rolls. I made them for my girl, too.

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  4:27:40 PM  Show Profile
I always make little snowball cookies. I think they are the same as russian teacakes. I never get around to making them any other time of year. I always make little jelly thumbprint cookies too.
Hey Jeannie..what are chocolate halfway bars..that sounds wonderful!
I do cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning too..we usually have a crowd over for that. I SHOULD make the pillsbury type but never do. I get up early to make the "real thing" but my husband loves the pillsbury orange rolls and brings them home for weekend breakfasts all the time...yum!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  6:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Tangerines, not Christmas w/out them.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  6:17:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Sometimes I feel left out when someone responds to everyone but me on their posts!

I'm sorry, girlfriend! I didn't mean to do that. Sometimes I feel pretty invisible on this board too; I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

(((((HUGS)))))
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  7:03:12 PM  Show Profile
MaryAnn and Jeannie- I always notice your posts! Someone usually beats me to answering though! My son is the Pillsbury lover and now he is making them with orange juice and pecans (as if he invented this recipe!) but we just let him carry on!
For us we have always made gingerbread houses(look for another post regarding kid friendly versions), almond shortbread, chocolate chips, springerle, linzer tarts and sugar cookies. The rest sort of varies by what new recipe sounds good! Mincemeat is a must for the hubby though cookies, tarts and pies! Last year I made mincemeat ice cream and it was surprisingly spicy and good!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  06:01:24 AM  Show Profile
Mornin' JPBluesky! I'm glad to hear that your a PB fan, too. What a great childhood memory for you as well. I think (aside from them being so good) I just love that my mom made the effort--she certainly knew her limitations when it came to cooking, and, well, it was the 70's when box mix everything was out, and this was something memorable for her. This also sounds silly, but it was really hard for me to tell her that we wouldn't be coming over for Christmas day breakfast anymore, so no more cinnamon rolls. She still bought them the first year (sob):)....

Thanks for sharing your Pillsbury memories with me.

I forgot to mention clementines. I'm on my second crate already. Last year my fingers turned orange from eating them all by myself!!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  8:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Amen to Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls...and the little Poppin' Fresh guy! I got up extra early one Christmas morning to make the "real" thing, and the response was, well, lukewarm. They were good, to be sure, but tradition counts for more than taste, and tradition commands Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls!

I followed an old saying I read once when filling the stockings..."Something to eat, something to read, something to play with and something you need." When the kids were little, it was easy - a comic book, a little puzzle, hand lotion, etc. Now that the kids are 34 - 22 years old (and still expecting their stocking gifts) it is a little more difficult to fill the requirements! Creative thinking to the rescue!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  02:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh I thought of another one last night...those melty mints...they are the shape of a Hershey's Kiss, pastel colors with the little white sprinkles on the bottom...I LOVE those at Christmas time!

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  04:54:02 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, are they the little round ones about the size of a quarter, and the sprinkles are those little white balls? I'm having trouble picturing them.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  05:00:43 AM  Show Profile
They are shaped like a Hershey's kiss, I think they are called melty mints...I am going to have to find them when I go get groceries this weekend. I haven't bought any yet this year. You really must like mint flavor to enjoy them!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  06:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Ah! Thanks, Sandy--the stocking "mantra" was what I've been trying to think of for so long....I did that for my husband when we were first dating. It's a victorian tradition, and I thought it was really neat. Lord only knows what I put in there, though....

I'll have to get myself together and do that again this year--I could spend a gazillion dollars on stocking stuff alone!

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  5:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I liked the little stocking ditty too! Makes sense.

My mom used to always make sugar cookies & we would decorate them. The difference in her cookies was the frosting... she added anise flavoring to it. YUM! I haven't made them in a long time. Maybe it's time to dig out that recipe again.

My tradition is to make pumpkin roll. My daughters dont mind helping make this. (it takes 5 min. just to beat the eggs) so I don't mind the help & my DH & DS don't mind eating it. We also got a cookie press & will make those every year now too. My DH's mom used to make those when they were young. Those are fun to make. Everyone wants to use the press at the same time.

I love this time of year. Baking & making the house smell great.
Thanks for sharing.

Kelly

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  5:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Nobody makes shortbread cookies?? You gotta have shortbread!! And mincemeat...even though I don't care for the taste of it much, the smell of it in the house so reminds me of my Gramma's at Christmas time. So I usually make a half dozen tarts or so as my Mom likes them. And buttertarts are a must. I also make thumbprints. Oh, and homemade cabbage rolls and perogies are a Christmas Eve tradition.
Bramble...I would love your recipe for linzer tarts.
Di
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic It just isn't Christmas without.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page