MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - May 31 2024 :  12:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Denise. The wood box the plant is in started scratching the end table so I knew I needed one.

Thank you Jill. I do too. That is what drew me in so much.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6579 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6579 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2024 :  3:35:18 PM  Show Profile
I want to borrow The Book of Awesome to start my gratitude badge. I sent an email to the farm, is there somewhere else I am suppose to go.
Thank you.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  2:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, have you figured it out?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6579 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6579 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  2:44:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I did thank you Krista. The book is on the way.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2024 :  6:46:34 PM  Show Profile
I am glad Debbie!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2024 :  2:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Surprisingly I don't have any random buttons. Any time I have needed a button I have just purchased what I needed. I recently purchased a large bag of buttons and this week I plan to work on my buttoned up badge. I am also going to involve my kids and have them work on their young cultivator button badges. Now that Everleigh has turned 6, we can all work on them together. The button badge seems like an easy place to get started!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1538 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1538 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2024 :  7:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Krista, that will be so fun to earn badges with Everleigh!!
:)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

719 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
719 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2024 :  10:50:59 AM  Show Profile
That's an interesting badge, Krista. I had never looked at it before. I have quite a large button collection from my mother and aunt. I did sort them into colours at one point. It would be interesting to look at them again from a collector's point of view. Maybe over the summer. Thanks for your sharing. I'll have to look into button crafts. I had intended to make Christmas ornaments one year. I haven't looked at the young cultivator's badges, are there some suitable for 7 year old boys?

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2024 :  12:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I think so too!

Jill, I am actually planning to work on the young cultivator badges with my daughter who is now 6 and with my 2 sons who are 7 and 8. I think it just depends on the badge they pick and their skill level. Some require writing in a journal. My boys would be ready for that especially my 8 year old, but Everleigh would struggle a little. That's why I plan to start with the hands on badges for them.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

719 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
719 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2024 :  5:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information, Krista. I had been thinking to have the boys work on things to put in the local fair this summer when they are visiting. But I will take a look at the badges and see if we couldn't do things that would work for both.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2024 :  1:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Jill, that is so exciting. I would love to hear if you end up finding any that work for both. Keep us posted on if they end up doing any!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2024 :  1:43:09 PM  Show Profile
My button collection is officially started! There are so many neat buttons. All different sizes and shapes and pretty colors. My favorite button is a wavy button.

Now I can apply for my beginner buttoned up!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1538 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1538 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2024 :  7:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Love your collection, Krista! :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2024 :  2:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2024 :  03:42:03 AM  Show Profile
Awesome Krista! I’ve been lucky and have been finding buttons at garage sales and thrift stores and am rebuilding my collection.

I’ve been working on a few badges. In particular the puttin up and canning badges. For the puttin up badge I started last fall with trying to freeze some of the excess green beans I had. I did research and tried both blanching and not blanching before placing in vacuum seal bags. I also tried three different ways of freezing organic bananas I got on clearance at the store. I tried just placing them in a freezer safe container, in a vacuum seal bag, and slicing them and placing them on parchment layers in a container. Last I shredded some excess carrots I had at the end of winter and put them in 2 cup and 3 cup freezer safe containers.

The carrots worked great. I use the 2 cups for soups (let them get to room temp then sauté) and steam the 3 cup for carrot cake. Both turned out delicious! Infroze the bananas for banana bread. The method that worked the best were the vacuum bags. The container let way too much air in and slicing was messy and after awhile it was hard to get them off the paper again. My green beans, however, were terrible. Both versions just tasted awful. I’m not sure what I did wrong. But I got a pressure canner and think that will be my method for green bean preservation instead of freezing.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2024 :  7:54:28 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah, that is awesome. You have been super busy. I am going to work on this badge this year. I have been doing it in the past for my bell peppers and zucchini. But I am hoping to do lots more this year. I have also been wanting a vacuum sealer. I will have to get one soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2024 :  5:15:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Krista! The vacuum sealer is very handy though I’m trying to cut down on single use plastic. But for certain foods it’s the only thing that renders them freezer safe.
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1538 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1538 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2024 :  7:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah, I feel so much better hearing your green bean issues. That’s exactly what happened to my green beans we grew from last year. We will definitely pressure canning them from now on. Glad to hear that you have had success with bananas! I’ll have to try that if given the opportunity. :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2024 :  2:36:03 PM  Show Profile
I agree Shennandoah. I froze some sugar snap peas a couple years ago and they were awful. Maybe they would benefit from the vacuum sealer.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  06:10:17 AM  Show Profile
Glad I'm not the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  12:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Shennandoah! My Mother-in-law always pressure canned her green beans! They were amazing! It was the only way that my Father-in-law would eat green beans!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  1:05:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3072 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3072 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2024 :  1:50:41 PM  Show Profile
Another option for freezing that I've had success with is mylar bags. They're used for long term food storage but I use them in the freezer for my dried herbs, fresh and dried fruit, and some veggies (like green peppers and onions). I put some fresh blueberries in a bag last August and forgot about them. I just found them and they're perfect - no frost, no off flavor, nothing! I didn't even seal them up with heat - I just used the zipper part (like a regular baggie) since I get in them regularly rather than long term storage.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2024 :  1:38:22 PM  Show Profile
I may need to try that, Heather. I can freeze red, orange, and yellow peppers just fine, but green ones always have a nasty taste. Maybe if I try the mylar bags then they won't taste bad.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2024 :  7:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Finally finished my project for my expert level furniture makeover badge. Picked up this buffet on Facebook for $100. The company that made it is out of business. Other original buffets like this one from this company run for $1500-$3000 on eBay. This one had been painted with a heavy duty enamel and had lots of dings and gouges, so had to fill in what I could. Painted to match our existing furniture and filled the drawers with my vintage linens and holiday entertaining items. Love having more space for these plus a great surface for holiday displays!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 51 Merit Badge Chit Chat:  Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page