Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Ideas for books for an 8 year old Girl?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Ideas for books for an 8 year old Girl? Next Topic
Page: of 2

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  11:47:45 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for books for my granddaughter? She loves horses but she has read every horse book I know of unless there is one we don't know about.
She raises chickens, rides horses, talks ALOT, is homeschooled, ummmmm, spends alot of time in a log cabin on Schroon Lake in the Adirondacks in the summer.
She loves hiking, skiing, finding frogs and newts and that sort of stuff.
But I am finding it hard to find wholesome books for her. I have exausted the classic stories.
I am getting each one of my grandchildren a book I know they will like. The boys are easy but I am finding it difficult to find books for her.
Any suggestions?
Thank you so much for any help.
Faith

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  05:38:41 AM  Show Profile
There are a series of books called the Mandy books. I've seen them in Christian book stores before. I read them as a kid and still enjoy them now. They have great adventure type stories with morals. Very good reads. Don't know who the author is though.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  06:06:15 AM  Show Profile
I was also a bit "horse crazy" as a kid, I loved a series called The Saddle Club, by Bonnie Bryant. It was very good and age appropriate for an elementary age girl. There are a lot of books in the series, I would love to start collecting these again for my girls, they are only 2 & 4, maybe I'll start slowly getting them off eBay for them for when they are old enough to read chapter books........anyway I would check this series out.
~Liz
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  06:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Just a long shot, but has she read Misty of Chincoteague? We used to live close to there and it is such a wonderful story.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  06:31:04 AM  Show Profile
I ran through books like crazy as a kid, and some of my favorites were obscure non-classics from the 60s. You may find horse stories through used book services that are not normally on the bookstore shelves today. One that I remember off the top of my head is "Hold the Rein Free" by Judy Van der Veer. My copy is a hardcover with illustrations, along the lines of the Marguerite Henry books. It's a very outdoorsy book, with lots of nature descriptions and an exciting plot. I'll check my bookshelves at home for more suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  07:18:01 AM  Show Profile
The American girl series of books are wonderful, My 10 year old daughter has been reading a series called "Fairy Realm", Because of Winn Dixie, Island of the Blue Dolphin, All the Little House on the Prairie series, gosh I could go on forever..I have girls who are 10 and 12 so we just went through that age. The books mentioned above were favorites too. If she is an advanced reader be sure to have her read Anne of Green Gables! Oh...Secret Garden too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  07:55:00 AM  Show Profile
ditto on the AMERICAN GIRLS books!!!! the family might want to get together and get "Felicity" and her horse for your little granddaughter this christmas! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  08:34:25 AM  Show Profile
How about any of Marguerite Henry books or the Heartland Series by Lauren Brooke? The Brooke books are Scholastic Inc. books. Has she read any books by Jody Bergsma? The list goes on. I had four girls and they read everything they could get their hands on.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  08:48:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh Thank you all!
Hey Julie, Is the author Julie Andrews, Barbra Booth or Joyce Lankester Brisley? I found those authors all with Mandy books. I looked on cbd.com and I found two of the authors.
Hey Liz I will look into the Saddle Club books.I am interrested in attitude and morals.
Hey Eren, Yes she loved that book, she read that a couple of years ago.
Hey Amie, I just bought a used copy of Hold the Rein Free. I will give that to her before Christmas. he he
Hey Jenny, Island of the blue dophin was one of my favorite books along with Old Yeller when I was little.Yes I was a strange kid. he he She has read the Anne of Green.. Elsie Dinsmore...
What is, because of winn dixie, about is, it good? Tell me about Fairy Realm. I guess I can look into Little House on the Prairie.
Hey Frannie, Guess what... My mom is getting her that for christmas. The Greatgrandma. He He
Thank you all sooooo much. I am excited now and want to get her more books. She has been reading since she was 5. So I am still interested in any books you suggest. I dont think you can ever have enough books well good books. And you can buy them used very reasonable. There are alot of garbage books out there. I am very greatful for you all.

Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  08:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mary Beth. I am going to look up the heartland series and Jody Bergsma right now!!! Thank you
I'll be back! Keep them coming! he he

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  08:55:40 AM  Show Profile
Because of Winn Dixie is a sweet story about a girl and a dog and a bunch of characters and the girl sort of coming to terms with her life...which is not ordinary for sure. The movie was so crummy compared to the book. Even my youngest daughter was so dissapointed with the movie.
I am so glad she has read Anne of Green Gables..that is one of the best of the best. I will keep trying to think of more..all my kids are big readers.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  09:04:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Faith- How about the Borrower's series by Mary Norton? I read those when I was a kid and loved them! (So much better than that awful movie) Also, the "shoe" books by Noel Streatfeild- (as mentioned in 'You've Got Mail') Ballet Shoes, Theatre Shoes, etc. You can find vintage copies on ebay. They are wonderful books. Yay for you for giving books!! Happy searching!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  09:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Hey Karin, I'm a going hunting!!! Thank you!!!!

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  09:12:47 AM  Show Profile
This is what *I* would do: I would put together a little basket of different horse books like "Black Beauty", "My Friend Flicka", "The Black Stallion", etc. and through in a few horsey-type things like a Wooden horse figurine or a felted horse or something along those lines...maybe some kind of mini tack items, etc. There is also a cartoon series out right now called "Horseland" that Gracie adores and watches on the one day a week she gets to watch tv. Maybe they have books out for that show as well.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  10:08:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey, I almost forgot...The Children of Green Knowe (yes, I plug that book on every children's book-related thread). It's a great English book that is not so well known in the US. It would make a good gift for a horse-loving girl too. It is set around the Christmas holiday and there is a horse that plays an important role. There are fantasy/magical elements but they are very gentle. It is more about family, history, and the excitement of exploring traditions in a beautiful place.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  10:23:30 AM  Show Profile
How about Morgan books by Steven Cosgrove? Bergsma and Cosgrove are sorta fantasy books but always with a moral at the end. Morgan is a Unicorn. There's Morgan and Me it's about living in the land of later and lessons learned. Morgan and Yew is about friendship. They are nice easy read books probably too easy for your granddaughter but fun to read. He even wrote Little Mouse on the Prairie. Teehee

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

koolaidqueen
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Julie
Sherwood Michigan
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  11:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Faith There are some wonderful suggestions here...I am offering some other ideas!! Some of my favorite recommendations (I'm a librarian!!) are Heidi by Spyri, anything by Pam Munoz Ryan and Kate DiCamillo(Because of Winn-Dixie author), The Dear America series, Girl of the Limberlost by Porter, Lois Lenski books (old, will need to find in used book stores...wait, some are being reprinted as well)...Hope that helps! If I think of anymore, I'll write them in. These types of books are my absolute favorites!!

Julie...Official Farmgirl, Gardener, Stitcher, County Fair girl, and lots of other stuff!!
"I love the way libraries smell." -That Wild Berries Should Grow by Gloris Whelan
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  1:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Is the Babysitters Club too old for an eight year old that likes to read???

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  4:20:43 PM  Show Profile
There is a series of books from a while ago about two little girls named Betsy and Tacy. My daughter adored them as a little girl. Here is a website about them.

http://www.betsytacysociety.org/bt_books.htm
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  5:44:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julie, I am looking into the books you recommend.
Hey Erin, I don't about those books, my younger daughter read a couple she aid she remembers the girls in the books as "snotty" ha ha
Hey Sheryl-Lyn, That web site wont come on it says error. But it sounds good. I like the idea of older books.I will try to find them.
Thank you

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2006 :  06:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Hey Faithmarie, I'm assuming your granddaughter has already read Caddie Woodlawn, right? I second the motion for Lois Lenski and the 'shoe' books.
I checked my shelves at home and I came up with a few oddballs that you might want to track down at some point. They are a little old-fashioned but an open-minded kid can probably enjoy them. I know they were already old-fashioned when I read them.

The Pony Problem, by Barbara Holland. Girl wins a pony in a contest. Her suburban tract neighbors are not happy.

Eliza and the Indian War Pony, by Paul and Beryl Scott. Fictionalized story of Marcus and Narcissa Whitman, from the point of view of a young daughter of fellow missionaries. Eliza is torn between her white family and the horse-centered Indian culture she is growing up in.

Ride Like an Indian, by Henry V. Larom. Boy at summer camp learns some tricks from a young Indian friend to bring an old Indian pony up to racing form.

Windy Foot at the County Fair, by Frances Frost. A farm family's adventures at the fair, including showing their horses.

Coon Holler, by Olive Rambo Cook. Brother and sister have to live temporarily with their grandparents in the country, which means attending a one-room rural school. Although they hate it at first, they make friends. Big doings include welcoming a refugee family to the community and starting a school orchestra.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  1:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Faith - Deborah Wiles is a contemporary author who writes the most wonderful books for young girls - you can get an idea about her books at www.deborahwiles.com Deb and I went to h.s. together quite a while ago and recently re-connected at a reunion. I and all her classmates are soooo proud of her - have read all her books and related to her wonderful characters, laughing out loud at their adventures! From your description of your granddaughter I bet she could relate to the fun characters as well! sandi

Edited by - sandi on Dec 02 2006 1:33:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  6:34:09 PM  Show Profile
I found the Betsy-Tacy website when I did a Google search, so that will probably work for you too. Sorry about the other one that wouldn't let you on!

I also agree about Lois Lenski!! Her books are adorable. My librarian always makes sure one is left in the library for me to read when I finish one. They are so cute!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  03:17:39 AM  Show Profile
My girls are 10 and 8 and they love books by E. Nesbit (English author) like Five Children and It and The Railway Children. Also The Secret Garden and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I also loved Misty of Chincoteague when I was young - I still have them now. The Fairy Realm by Emily Rodda is good too.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  9:25:43 PM  Show Profile
I remember really liking "Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell and "Harriet the Spy" by Louise Fitzhugh - what fun to think back on these books! I also really liked a book called "Dear Mr. Henshaw," but I've forgotten who the author is. I SO want to read some of the books you gals have mentioned myself!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

koolaidqueen
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Julie
Sherwood Michigan
25 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  10:31:20 AM  Show Profile
Hello, all
Libbie, the author of Dear Mr. Henshaw is the incomparable Beverly Cleary, who also wrote the "Ramona" books. The woman was/is an incredibly gifted author.
Sandi, WOW!! Deborah Wiles is another favorite of mine. You went to school with her!! Too neat!!
Another good author, speaking of Deborahs, is Deborah Hopkinson ( www.deborahhopkinson.com ). She writes a lot of historical fiction. Just another one to look up...Isn't this fun?

Julie...Official Farmgirl, Gardener, Stitcher, County Fair girl, and lots of other stuff!!
"I love the way libraries smell." -That Wild Berries Should Grow by Gloris Whelan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Ideas for books for an 8 year old Girl? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page