Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Ideas for books for an 8 year old Girl?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Ideas for books for an 8 year old Girl? Next Topic
Page: of 2

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  10:44:09 AM  Show Profile
A great resource I have mentioned before is www.Chinaberry.com. Not only do they very adeptly describe each books plot and premise they tell you what ages it is appropriate for. You may be able to make a wish list from them and they also have great toys, games and gifts that are kind, gentle and thoughtful. This was one of my favorite resources when my son was small, we would look for the reccommended titles at the library and shop for holidays and birthdays. It even has some gifts for us big kids!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  12:38:55 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Koolaidqueen about Gene Stratton Porter--Girl of the Limberlost was my favorite as a young girl--my Great Aunt gave me her copy from 1913 and I still read it! I also love Laddie and Freckles. I gave my first edition copy of Laddie to my niece for graduation.
What about "The Secret Garden" and my favorites, "Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day", and Alexander Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday" by Judith Viorst? I used to recite them over and over to my mother, much to her chagrin.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  9:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I might be late here, but as a kid, I really liked the All of a Kind Family series....

Rachel
See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  9:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Faith, what did you get for your grand-daughter to read. You must have a house of books by now. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  07:36:28 AM  Show Profile
I have Mandy by Julie Andrews, and I really liked it as a kid. Also by Julie Andrews, is "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodle" I can read that one over and over and over.
As for the Mandie books with a moral- I read those as a kid too, and they're great! But spelled with an IE not a Y. I also can't remember the author.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  11:46:54 AM  Show Profile
So many books, so little time!!! My suggestions were already mentioned, but I now have a growing book list for my daughter:) She especially liked the Little House series, Anne of Green Gables; The Narnia books, any of the American Girls series' andthe Dear America books too.
enjoy!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  05:57:30 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to add a few more now:
The Children of Green Knowe by L.M. Boston (and all the rest in the series) - don't know how I forgot them?
At the moment, we are reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke - great fantasy book. Another great fantasy one that my girls enjoyed was The Saint of Dragons (not sure of author though).
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Ideas for books for an 8 year old Girl? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page