vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Just wondered if anyone has read this book by Richard Louv? I am only a quarter of the way through it (it takes me a while with 3 little ones), but Im so hooked. The subtitle is "Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder" and that pretty much gives you the jist of the book. Louv talks about how our children are increasingly disconnected from the natural world. And that may be one of the causes of childhood obesity, attention disorders and depression. He says that direct exposure to nature is essential for healthy childhood development.

I am agreeing with every sentence I read and even find myself in the statements. If I dont get outside and really "be" in it, I start to feel a little down and generally grumpy. Nothing like a good walk in the pasture or a hike down to the creek, huh?

Any thoughts?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  04:29:57 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree, Eren, and will be finding that book! I have never heard of it before, but it sounds great.
I too find myself physically and mentally down when I don't go and spend quality time outside. I have a real hard time in the winter because I am not very fond of the cold!!
Thanks for sharing about this book!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  06:55:05 AM  Show Profile
This book sounds wonderful. It is SO important to me to instill a love of our world in my children - the natural world. I can't wait to read it. I, too, feel just like you do about "being" in nature - if it doesn't happen often enough, I lose the balance that keeps me able to do what I need and want to do - and I lose the sensitive appreciation for the little beauties of nature that are so important.

Thanks for the recommendation!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  08:49:37 AM  Show Profile
I have read bits and pieces of it, but honestly it is hard for me to read it without crying. I am so glad my children have the opportunity to live where they do and play where they play....so many children don't have that.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  09:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a coincidence! I just read about this book in a seed catalog I received Friday. I agree with the overall concept, but haven't read the book. Sounds interesting!

I have been really disturbed the last few days by the toy advertising on TV. Now we don't watch a lot of TV, but we probably saw 20-30 commercials for electronic toys for "little" kids, like 2-3 years old, in only a few hours. How do they learn about the real world if they are seeing it through electronics at that early age? The worst thing is that these toys claim to stimulate imagination, unfortunately I believe it is the opposite -- if reality is framed through the toy designer's version of the world, the child is learning less than they could through direct observation. Of course they're probably safer, but what are they giving up? I can't tell you how many times my grandmother threatened us about jumping out of the haymow into the soft hay below - "THERE COULD BE A PITCHFORK IN THERE!" but we did it anyway... and I will never forget it. I also remember sitting in that very same haymow and watching a barn owl sleeping. Wow. I wouldn't remember that on a video screen.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  10:20:09 AM  Show Profile
Hello, everyone. To all the gals who mentioned Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory", a big farmgirl hug and thanks.....found it at Borders bookstore last week and it even has a narrative CD included! What a lovely book with dear illustrations; a definite pull out and read every year! You guys are the greatest. Nance
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  1:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I hope you get the book and read it. I have always been one to kick my boys outside no matter the weather, but what you described is just his position. It has reaffirmed some of the ways that DH and I are parenting, but made me think differently in other ways. It is one that I will keep on my must read for parents.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  09:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Eren - I just received the book this morning from amazon when I went to the post office! I'm so excited to read it... it begins with such a telling and sad quote from a fourth-grader in San Diego - something to the tune of "I like to play indoors better - 'cause that's where all of the electrical outlets are." Geez. I, too, feel so lucky that my little guys live and play/work on a farm and that the outdoors is our main form of recreation. Brenda - I SO agree with the value of "real" living as opposed to "virtual" living. That is one thing that the "farmgirl lifestyle" is all about and I just love it.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  7:02:46 PM  Show Profile
I read this book, and another science teacher I work with is now reading it.
It made me feel so grateful that I grew up in the country with lots of woods, streams, and fields to play in.
It also makes me sad. I have students who almost never have unstructured play time outside.
I've started having my students keep a nature journal. I assign very general assignments like "Observing Winter", etc. I grade it solely on effort. I'm hoping it will get them outside and just noticing all the cool stuff out there!!!
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  10:26:29 AM  Show Profile
I've read this book and it was excellent. It goes into the variety of reasons that children don't get out into nature, such as electronics, parents' not wanting to go out and supervise, lack of adequate facilities, community covenants (barring children from climbing trees), liability laws etc. It does go into some solutions that will require work both societally and personally. Again, excellent book.
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  1:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I think it is wonderful of you to include the natural world in your classroom. I think they will benefit from it for years into the future. What a great teacher you are!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  11:02:15 AM  Show Profile
I truly think that we can't expect the children today to be stewards of this land tomorrow if they don't feel a connection to it.
I enjoyed this book too, does anyone know if there are any other books like it?

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  05:47:38 AM  Show Profile
I saw this at the book store in town and think I might go ahead and get it. It sounds important to read it! I've been looking for the boo "Dumbing us Down" at my library and no libraries in central ohio even carry it! Anyone know or have read this book?
-Megan
Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  8:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I just wanted to mention that I have read a book called Stopping at Every Lemonade Stand and it's a great book about reaching our kids. I also have Last Child in the Woods. Good book. I think that the two are tied very closely. Stopping is a book about the loss of our sense of comunity, and how to reclaim that. I think that the tie between this loss and the loss of nature in our society are very closely related. As Destiny stated, children who aren't connected will not be good stewards.

Rachel
See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  05:29:15 AM  Show Profile
I tried to find this book at the library, but my library doesn't have it. Definitely very sad to see children thinking that nature and the outside world is something that you learn about and experience through watching it on TV. So many children are 'taught' about environmental issues and that they must care for the planet, but don't actually see what they are supposed to be caring for.
Megan, I have heard about that book - isn't that the one about how modern education is like a factory line, producing a one-size-fits-all education? Sounds interesting - I think we are reading similar material at the moment. I have just been on amazon and ordered quite a few books, such as Creativity in Education, plus some homeschooling info from a Waldorf homeschool place - I'll let you know which ones are good.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  06:54:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh, these sound wonderful...off to Amazon to spend my Christmas gc. Thanks ladies!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  09:56:55 AM  Show Profile
If y'all like that one, you'd probably also like The Geography of Childhood, by Gary Paul Nabhan.
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  04:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Not about the Last child in the woods, but wanted to post about a book that i jsut picked up at the library called: Packaging Girlhood, Rescuing Our Daughters from Marketer's Schemes

Looks good, I'll let you all know.

-Megan
Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  07:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Megan,
That one just SOUNDS good. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it cover, but is it OK to judge it by the title!? LOL I'd read that one, and I don't have girls!

rachel

See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Last Child in the Woods Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page