prichmond9
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Peggy
Pelham Tennessee
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  08:56:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mary Jane, I planted the about 8 of the heirloom tomato plants from seeds you sent me. This is a picture of some of my first harvest, not sure what I expected but the tiny cherry tomato with the dark burnt reddish color was not it! They don't look too good but oh my how good they taste, incredible flavor. Lots more coming, so today I am making a tomato pie with sweet onion, ricotta cheese and lots of mozzarella on top. And I'm not waiting until all the green color is gone before I pick them. By then, they are over ripe and start splitting. But WHO KNEW? Thank you so much for the seeds, I'm saving some to plant again next spring.

Farm girl #5880
Consider the possibilities
Wherever I am, that's where I will be.

prichmond9
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Peggy
Pelham Tennessee
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  09:00:40 AM  Show Profile
And here's my okra picked today for pickling. My husband loves these things, first time I have tried pickling the okra but I have a family recipe so I am sure they will turn out fine.

Farm girl #5880
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  09:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Peggy!!!! Your pic of tomatoes makes my heart sing. Isn't their flavor and productivity amazing? Plus, they aren't prone to cracking and they keep forever in the fridge. Thanks for making my day. My grandgirls took 57 clamshell containers of them to our Farmers' Market this past Saturday and made more than $100. Oh, and my mother ALWAYS grew Okra and put it in all her soups, even those she canned.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  11:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, your harvest pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. We got a bunch of okra from our garden. I blanched most of it for winter gumbos!!!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prichmond9
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Peggy
Pelham Tennessee
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  07:00:49 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, is there another name for these tomatoes other than heirloom, someone told me they thought they were called cherokee??

quote:
Originally posted by MaryJane

Peggy!!!! Your pic of tomatoes makes my heart sing. Isn't their flavor and productivity amazing? Plus, they aren't prone to cracking and they keep forever in the fridge. Thanks for making my day. My grandgirls took 57 clamshell containers of them to our Farmers' Market this past Saturday and made more than $100. Oh, and my mother ALWAYS grew Okra and put it in all her soups, even those she canned.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~

Farm girl #5880
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  07:08:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure they're Black Cherry Tomatoes.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  1:27:08 PM  Show Profile
Nothing better tasting than an Heirloom Tomato no matter what the size!!!!

hugs and smiles,
peggyann

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Heirloom tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page