Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Mobile Gift Wrapping Service
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Mobile Gift Wrapping Service Next Topic  

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  08:34:44 AM  Show Profile
Every year I get such a kick out of wrapping presents. I've even offered to wrap for the entire family! I absolutely love wrapping gifts. A few years ago I worked at a department store that offered gift wrap, and I thought it was the bestest job in the world because I was getting paid to wrap gifts! Well, last year the thought crossed my mind to run an ad in the local paper and offer my wrapping enjoyment for hire! So today I searched for mobile gift wrap, and look what I found! http://www.mobilegiftwrap.com/home.html

I was thinking if the customer provided the type of wraping paper and/or bows that they preferred that I could either charge a flat rate per gift, or a $40 dollar minimum, maximum 7 gifts.(this figure could fluctuate) I know it may sound a bit high, but it has to cover gas, and in a rural area, it would have to only be within a 'radius' of town, or else I could be driving an hour away to make 40 dollars. For folks who live far from town I could offer either pick-up and drop-off in town, or wrapping at my home, my paper and ribbon provided! If I did one wrapping session per day, I could make $200 a week! What a great way to make a little extra money around the holidays!

What do you girls think? There are a lot of people with arthritis, or disabilities, there are a lot of people who just don't want to wrap gifts. Any ideas are welcomed! I think it's too late to start this for this Christmas, but I could get my act together for next year!

Love is to the heart what summer is to the farmer's year. It brings to harvest all the lovliest flowers of the soul. --Billy Graham

Edited by - MsCwick on Nov 28 2006 5:42:06 PM

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile
I think it is a great idea! It is amazing what people will pay for to make their holidays run smoother. A neighbor of mine used to pay someone to decoate her house with her own ornament and decorations because she just hated doing it. I say GO FOR IT! Esp. since you already like wrapping presents!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  11:09:36 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea! I'd hire you -- I HATE to wrap presents.

Handmade delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Visit my blog! http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

The Clark County Farmgirls have a blog! http://thefarmgirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  04:29:19 AM  Show Profile
This is a great idea. I think I'd try to do a bit even this year, especially for those last-minute people, so you can get your own 'portfolio' together for next year. And then you'll have a better idea how to set it up next year, too!

If you plan to do this next year, be sure to buy discounted Christmas paper and embellishments after the holidays are over.

And play Christmas music while you work!
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  5:39:17 PM  Show Profile
How about if people brought their gifts? That would be safer for me(because I could have a friend over) and it would save MY gas, and I could have everything I need plus stocked up.
Maybe out of the home would work too!
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  8:42:10 PM  Show Profile
I think that would work well (the drop-off wrapping) especially if you live near town, where people would be shopping anyway.
Do you have a name, yet?
maybe--- Too Wrapped Up (for folks too wrapped up to wrap up)

Edited by - faithymom on Nov 28 2006 8:57:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  08:57:48 AM  Show Profile
If I only had seven gifts to wrap, I'd do it myself. But I'd love to have a service that charges by the hour come in! I use premium papers and wire ribbons on everything, as well as little ornaments, silk flowers, beads, and doodads, and it all color coordinates with my Christmas tree so it's all a pretty picture. I spend between two and three FULL DAYS wrapping every year, and I DREAD it!!!

This was one of the big motivators in cutting back this Christmas, so I wouldn't have to wrap so much!
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  12:28:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Cristine if I was in Virginia, I would love to go into business with you! I've actually considered doing the same type of thing because I really love wrapping gifts. It would be a great way to make some extra money at Christmas, but could also be profitable during the rest of the year too (like wrapping presents for companies that need to hand out a bunch of gifts to their employees, or something like that)

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  5:40:11 PM  Show Profile
did you look at how big that company was that I posted up there?? It could almost be worth it to rent out a small little shop in town!
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  10:34:40 AM  Show Profile
When I was a little girl it was my job to cross the yard and spend the week with granny to help her wrap all her christmas gifts. I was the only one she would allow to do it because the corners and seams all had to be perfectly straight and tight, and as far as I know I was the only one who did it just right. She actually made me do one as part of an interview. lol

I was remembering this just the other night. I always think about the time I spent with her, every year when I have to wrap for my own family. I've lost a lot of family, but I still miss my granny the most.

When I grew up and moved out, I gladly would have paid for this type of service to come help my granny wrap. I just couldn't be there and I know she would have appreciated it.

I think this is a wonderful idea. There are plenty of women I know who would gift certificate this service to another friend to make the holidays easier. Also, most of the men I know hate wrapping and would gladly pay extra just to have someone do it for them.

I think you should start now, advertise for it now. You'll probably still get a lot of late christmas rush, and it will give you an idea of what to expect next season while having the benefit of starting relatively small having cut off a large part of the "early" demand. Add to that, there is always a gift giving holiday to be ready for. Advertising now will have you ready for Valentines day. :)

HTH - Best of luck to you. :)

Babs

Country Egg
www.countryegg.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Mobile Gift Wrapping Service Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page