Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Personal Shopper Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  06:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message

Ok I went shopping with my mother. She has her own taste (nothing wrong with that) which is not anyone's taste. So we went and bought my Grandmother a Vera Bradley overnight (they have a gift certificate for a fun inn) then saw other stuff for my auntie for her birthday and my uncle as well. I've always done this. We laugh and joke I have the taste and ideas and know what people have and like and she has the loot. I've always had good taste and am always able to find something that everyone loves. I keep thinking I should be a personal shopper for this town. Noone is doing it and I know people are busy. I know I know we should have made something but mum is going to school for her 2nd masters degree and I'm going for my 1st aka time is limited and really is money. But any ideas how to start or if this would be a decent idea?! I am not a true business person great ideas and some common business sense but getting things started is my obstacle. Thanks !

"... to thine ownself be true."

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  06:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Bridget,
I don't know alot about it, but I have 3 friends that have put ads in papers for similar jobs. And if you have the economy in your area where people can afford to pay you to do their shopping, then go for it! My girlfriends simply advertised themselves as personal assistants listed what types of services they offered and they got jobs. That description sounds so funny, but it really IS all on the up and up!
Bonnie

P.S. It's not shopping, but I have one friend that does laundry for a working woman, 1 day a week for almost 30 dollars an hour. Sounds good to me!

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  06:55:36 AM  Show Profile
MY Cousin who is a women Doctor in Anchorage Alaska has a personal shopper, she buys most all of Joy's clothes for her and gifts for people that Joy doesn't have time to shop for. By now she knows Joy so well and her taste in things that it has worked out perfect for Joy. Joy will tell her she needs say four outfits for an upcoming event and her shopper will go out and buy maybe six or eight outfits and bring then to joy to look at and try on. Keeps the ones she wants returns the rest.or in Joys case probably keeps them all. Also people that are unable to shop for groceries or just about anything, and don't have family to help, could use a shopper. I have to think there is a pretty could market out there for this kind of thing, especially in an area where there is some money floating around.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  09:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Definitely try to use the newspaper in your town to help generate some initial sales... Write up an article talking about what a personal shopper is and how they can help you. If it's a small town, and you can make the article relevant, they might just print it.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

luvhorses
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Mel
NY
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  12:15:44 PM  Show Profile
I kinda do this sort of thing; only I started with the elderly folks who can no longer do these things for themselves. I do their grocery shopping, pick up perscriptions from the local pharmacies, drive them to appointments. I love it! You can set your own hours and yes; pays well. Start with an ad in your local paper then once you get a few clients make up business cards, give them to your clients as magnets and reminder so that they can pass the word along.

"The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man."
By:President Reagan
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  12:19:07 PM  Show Profile
Great idea! I think it would work. Just some legwork needed. Make yourself some business cards off your computer and a little flyer. Post some around town and at some local business's. Put one in your local paper. Good luck!

Angi~4H Leader and Mom -Be Joyful Always 1 Thes. 5:18
http://www.etsy.com/your_shop.php MommaNMe gifts
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  12:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I think it's a great idea, and definitely you should try it.

A lot of my work centers around marketing, as a marketing consultant I am going to advise against printing your cards out on the computer. Those preferated edges and flimsy paper are NOT a good first impression, it says you do not take your business seriously enough to get real cards. There are a number of California-based printers who will print you some full color cards, one sided, for all of $25.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  3:51:30 PM  Show Profile
I think it would work, also. What a good idea! If you were of the mind to, you could also steer people toward more local, small-scale producers' items - it just might be a great way to help people out, make some money, and support local businesses - sounds like a winner to me!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

islander
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Rebecca
Anderson Island WA
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  12:22:30 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea! I'm thinking that I might even be able to swing something like that in my area, now that the kiddos are in school... Hmmmm. Thanks for the inspiration :)
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  8:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Bridget, I was a personal shopper this year with Taste of Home Entertaining. I called husbands with their wife's wish lists, and ordered, wrapped and delivered gifts to work places so that the husband's could surprise their wives with a great gift that they had listed. It was fun.

Several year's ago I went thru a business class thru G.R.O.W. (Grand Rapids Opportunities for Women). Their website is www.growbusiness.org. There was another lady in my class who was developing a personal shopping service. Her info is listed in the GROW directory under Errand Services. Her business name is Sunflower Personal Services, LLC. If you tell her that a fellow G.R.O.W grad gave you her name, I know that she would be happy to answer any questions that you have. Hope that this helps. Ann Forrester - http://annforrester.tohe.com

Edited by - Forrester Farm on Dec 16 2006 08:07:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  06:08:06 AM  Show Profile
Ann -- You are so generous to share the name of your classmate -- HOWEVER -- it's not a good idea to list her phone number here on the site! Better to email Bridget the information, using the email icon that is in the strip above each posting, so that the 'baddies' out there in cyberland don't glom on to that personal information and use it for ill.

For the same reason, you should avoid posting your personal email address.

I don't see the 'edit' icon on your posting. Maybe someone from MaryJane's Farm can let you know how to reach the editing option so that you can remove the personal information from your post.

You are so sweet to want to share with Bridget -- I just don't want anything bad to happen!!
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  08:05:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Katie-ell. Changes are made! Ann
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Personal Shopper Next Topic