Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Pre washing fabric
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Pre washing fabric Next Topic  

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  09:58:24 AM  Show Profile
I am pretty new to sewing. Do I need to pre wash fabric before I sew with it? I use mostly cotton fabrics.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  10:03:05 AM  Show Profile
Yep you do Julie, cotton does shrink. I would also recommend serging or zigzagging the raw edges before you wash it too. Depending on what you're going to be making, I would wash and dry the fabric the same as you will your finished item.
Another reason I like to pre-wash is most fabrics come with a "finish" applied to them to give them body and sheen on the bolts. It feels yucky and some are even formadehyde based.
Di
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  10:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
not every one washes before sewing it depends on the final use and how you feel about it. I guess it is a good habit, just one I am not into at all. Usually it is not real washing any way it is more get ya wet and through ya in the dryer to shrink if you will.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com

Edited by - sunshine on Nov 21 2006 10:11:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:35:09 PM  Show Profile
I've had a few problems with not washing fabric before projects, after spending a lot of time making something, then washing and having it shift off of what I thought was the straight of grain or dye running etc.

I always wash fabric exactly how it will be washed after the project is done.
That way no surprises.
So everything in my fabric stash is ready to go.
just my 2 cents
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  3:23:21 PM  Show Profile
I also throw everything in the machine as soon as it comes through the door unless it's a dry-clean only fabric (and even then I still steam press it to make sure there won't be any shrinkage from the iron).

I've had cotton knits shrink up to 4 inches per yard in the wash.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  5:36:21 PM  Show Profile
I wash everything before sewing. As Karen said, then you are "ready to go" when starting a project. I don't like the smell or feel of all the sizing on new fabric either. I do mostly primitive style items and have noticed washed fabric takes dye or stain better too. I don't serge or zigzag before washing unless the fabric is extremely loose and I am worried about raveling. After washing I do tear cotton fabric to find the straight of the grain.
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  5:49:08 PM  Show Profile
This is always a hard one. But today, quilt shop fabrics are made better, less gases, less sizing. Fabrics made by high quality company's like Moda, Benertex, etc., don't have to be washed unless you want to. Reds and navy colors are more likely to bleed. Not all quiters wash. You also don't have to serge, satin stitch, or anything to your cotton fabric. If you fold your fabric up, pin the edges together, and put in washer - not to wash but just get wet, and rinse and spin out, that is good. You don't want to add soap and aggitate it or you will have lot's of raveling. I'm not saying fabrics from other places - Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, Hancocks and stores that sell fabric are not high quality, but their fabrics are made somewhat different than quilt shop quality fabrics. That's why you feel more sizing, stiffness, and funny smells. You buy what you can afford. But you want the fabric to last! Just my humble opinion! I have bought it all, and still buy it from the other stores if I like the design. Of course strawberries! So it is your choice, but buy the best you can afford, and you won't have too many of those old problems. And also, you have the things you can put in the wash to absorb the bleeding fabrics. I do use lot's of reds, and in all my quilting have never washed fabrics. And I have been sewing since 1969/1970 until present.

If I could learn how to operate my camera, and put the pictures on my new computer I would show you some of my quilts! Maybe one day! I would rather sew, that learn all that stuff!

Thanks for listening! Just my experience.

Happy Thanksgiving,

farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!

www.strawberryhousequilting.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  6:05:07 PM  Show Profile
I too wash everything (except velvets, rayons and wool) just because then I know what I am working with. How does it wash, hang, press and cut. Who wants to spend all that time on something and have it not turn out well. I have to say that unwashed fabric looks sharp and crisp when first used in a project and that may be the "curb appeal" to those who sell their work, but I would rather know that
my project will look the same when it is washed for the second, third or fourth time then have a rude shock to see what happens after it may or may not have a problem being washed initially. If I have a burgundy fabric that bleeds, I'd like to know before that little bit used for berries on a Baltimore Brides Quilt ruins the whole darn quilt! Just my opinion as a consumer and quilter, better safe than sorry.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  6:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Gloria,

I couldn't agree more with you comments on fabric, you have it pretty well covered. What I really agree with is liking to sew more than learning to use a computer! I feel the same way, I don't think I'll ever get all this high tech stuff. I guess you and I will just sit and stitch!

Happy Thanksgiving all! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  6:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I am so far from hi tech it is rediculas. My husband just shacks his head at me when I ask him questions about the computer. he is a little ciomputer nerd or guru what ever you want to call it. I am so clue less it is scary. Like my blog reads I am the hi tech of 50 to 300 years ago and I like that.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  7:31:05 PM  Show Profile
Julie,

I wash all cotton fabric on the gentle cycle with a 1/4 or 1/2 cup of white vinegar on warm wash/cold rinse depending on how much fabric I had. Then I dry the fabric on low or gentle and fold it as soon as it is done. It frays a little but not much this way. Oh yeah, if any fabric colors do run a little - don't dry them but repeat the wash the same way and it usually solves the problem. If you dry fabric where a color has bled a little, it will set the bled color. My old quilt club really made this habit stick and they all knew when I hadn't washed something. Since most of them were between 70-95 years old, I couldn't get much past them LOL ; )

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  7:37:37 PM  Show Profile
I never used to wash my fabric but do now. And I do as Gloria suggested -- don't use soap just get it wet then dry in the dryer. The main reason I wash is because of shrinkage but I also want to remove any sizing which can make your sewing machine needles dull. And I totally agree about buying fabric at quality quilt shops. All you have to do is touch the fabric to tell the difference in quality. I buy at Joann's too on occasion but the fabric is not as nice. And I refuse to buy any fabric at Wal-Mart (used to be one I purchased from a lot).

Handmade delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Visit my blog! http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

The Clark County Farmgirls have a blog! http://thefarmgirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  7:40:49 PM  Show Profile
I don't wash fabric for quilting or crafts usually, but I do wash fabric I am going to make clothes from..just always have.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  7:45:46 PM  Show Profile
I always was my fabric before using. I also add a 1/2 cup of vinegar to the rinse to set the color.

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  8:49:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks every one! I think the concensus is to wash first!!!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Pre washing fabric Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page