Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  12:07:34 PM  Show Profile
...my sewing machine is misbehavin'! After a day of cleaning a baking, I sat down to treat myself to some stitching time. I wanted to work on a pair of pillowcase that my friend asked me to make for her nieces. Well, my machine is NOT cooperating. This problem started before...this is what happens:
The bottom stitching looks great, the top the stitching isn't really even a stitch, just a straight line of thread I can pull right out. I have tried adjusting the tension, it seems to make no difference. I have a red #14 needle in which should be right for the cotton I am using. Any suggestions?
Thank you

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  12:25:26 PM  Show Profile
I would double check and make sure you have your bobbin in correctly (thread is coming off the bobbin in the correct direction), and also make sure you have the machine threaded correctly as well. Good luck! I just hate this sort of problem. You're already to sew and have fun, and there's a problem with your machine!!arghhhhh!! I hope you can figure it out!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  3:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Luanne! I changed the thread and that seemed to help, although I thought all my thread was good quality. This seems to happen on and off so I am wondering if it needs a check up?
I got one pillowcase finished so I am satisfied!
Happy Thanksgiving!

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  3:45:19 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like something might be sticking in your upper thread tension dial. If it has been a while (1+ years) since your last "tune-up", I would pay to have it cleaned and checked. We have a local man who does it for $25, but I know you can pay up to $35 for this service.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  4:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Clare,
It is my mom's machine, and I know she got it for Christmas two or 3 yrs ago and probably has never had it serviced. Sounds like a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  4:23:59 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
Glad to see you at least got a pillowcase done. I hate it when the sewing machine runs amock, mine went to pieces several months ago and I had to take it in and have it fixed, it costs me like a ba-zillon dollars but it runs like a top right now. knock on something.
Going to start reading "OH PIONEERS" tonight. I have so much reading to catch up on, I seem to be doing everything but reading.Besides you made me buy this one.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  4:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy...yeah, I was on on a roll today cooking and cleaning...but I did get one pillowcase done...and if I wasn't on the computer, the second one would probably be done!! It goes fast though so I'll get it done this weekend and then find a good sewing machine Doctor on Monday!
I really hope you enjoy the book. It's not as light-hearted as say the Mitford Series. But it really is an incredible story, and really touched me.
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  4:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
when stitches look like that the top is stuk on something or two tight re thread or the bottom is two loose. Usually the top when the bottom get to loose it usualy just makes a nasty mess on the bottom of your fabric. tune ups are always good

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  5:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bonnie,
Mine has been doing that some tis week too. I found that if I rethread it clears the problem right up. Also I have to use metal bobbins and good thread. I buy only Coats and Clark or Sulky.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic HEEEEELP!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page