katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 30 2015 :  10:01:19 PM  Show Profile
what's in my garden? Gophers, lots & lots of gophers.... if only the Rats w/Antlers (deer) would stomp on the gophers instead of munching on my sunflowers!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 31 2015 :  03:24:09 AM  Show Profile
Grace, you always make me laugh!

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2015 :  9:53:02 PM  Show Profile
This is my garden so far. I just need to plant a few more seeds and it is all in.

In the box are dill, licorice and a variety of edible flowers. In the back on the trellises are morning glories, peas and cardinal vine. There are seven varieties of leafy greens including chard, mustard and kale. I have broccoli, tomatillo, cucumber and zucchini. I have black cherry tomatoes, peach tomatoes and purple tomatoes. I like the strange tomatoes. In another bed on pictured, I have bee and butterfly friendly plants and flowers and more herbs. This will be a great year.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7006 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7006 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  04:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Marie, your garden is what gardening in a small space is all about. Vertical, raised beds, and in the ground. It'll be beautiful when in bloom.

Have a blessed day, Sara ~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  2:55:54 PM  Show Profile
well in my garden ate purple hyacinth, sweet peas, morning glories, and lots of other colorful plants,, as for my Sunflowers,,, they have been decapitated by the Deer, uugh!
My garden is coming along to, slowly, but the canning pickles, and watermelon have started a growth spurt, as have my tomatoes... fingers crossed that I will have enough pickles to can and watermelon to have fun seed spitting!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  4:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

I am so excited! I just picked broccoli & lettuce today! YES!!!!

Okay... Where to begin? I've got several different beds and planting areas with all sorts of great things: cranberries (yep!), melon, ginger, pumpkin, strawberries, garlic, lettuces, kale, beets, turnips, Italian parsley, celery, carrots, onions, cucumbers, several different kinds of peppers, red orach (Thanks to Sharon aka Calicogirl - wish me luck!), spinach, two types of potatoes, sunflowers, broccoli, two types of cabbages, four types of tomatoes, eggplants, green beans, zucchini, radishes, several different types of flowers to bring in the good bugs, rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, oregano, fennel, dill, mint, lilies (not yet flowering!), daylilies, daffodils, peonies, ice plants, lilacs, antique lilacs, roses, wisteria, hostas, rose of Sharon.... I know I'm forgetting something, but you get the idea! ;) I know it must sound like we have a HUGE garden, but we really don't. My yard is actually really small, and some sections weren't planted until just this past weekend. I am trying to grow exactly what we'll need for the winter, so there are more of some things than others. I also plan to do succession planting as I go, and plant a fall garden with more cool weather veggies when possible. SO much fun! :)

I'll tell you what: the garden had a rough start with all the hot then cold then hot weather, but in the past week, it has really taken off! Everything is comfortably nestled and thriving in old straw and those free wood chips we received last fall. I added a good bit of compost to the new beds when planting, but that was about it. I've fertilized by sprinking the remaining compost on top of the chips (when it rains it makes a nice compost tea that drizzles down to the roots), and have only sprinkled once with blood meal and bone meal. We've gotten plenty of rain (PLENTY!), so I have only watered once after fertilizing. Tonight I ran out there to sprinkle the leaves with some food grade diatomaceous earth to help get rid of some flea beetles that have been going to town, while also giving the plants another nutritional boost. When it rains (and the rain IS coming!), it turns into a liquid mineral fertilizer and the plants just go crazy! I am really excited to see everything grow! And the really cool thing is that this year we have very few weeds so far - the wood chips are doing their job! The weeds that HAVE come in have been easily pulled or raked away. Low maintenance! I am really liking this! :)

My canners and dehydrator are at the ready! Oh, summer: BRING IT ON!!!

Happy gardening, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  6:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Nini: so excited for you. Gardens are wonderful. Hope to get mine planted tomorrow. I am late but there is still time. We have had lots of wonderful rain.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  7:37:08 PM  Show Profile
You GO, girl! I can't wait to hear how wonderful your garden turns out, Bonnie! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  11:06:05 AM  Show Profile
OMG!! The evil rats with antlers ate every flower in my bed!! ARRRGH! They ate the ones that didn't have deer spray, and "tasted" the ones with spray so just the edges are wonky. ARRRGGHH!

The tomatoes are looking good, and we are enjoying the fresh lettuce!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  2:57:32 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, I would be more then happy to send you our 'Rats w/Antlers"... to keep yours company! snork, giggle!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's in your garden? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page