texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  1:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhhh. So nice to be planting! I've got a pot of lettuce, lavender and patio tomatoes. In the garden, I've got eggplant, kale, romaine, tomatoes, peas, beets, potatoes, squash, and cukes. In front I have blueberry bushes with blooms, pumpkin, and just picked up ruffled purple basil. Ever try that?

What's growing where you are?

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7006 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7006 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  1:53:12 PM  Show Profile
Mud. Everything is waterlogged even my container plants, but they're hanging in there. I grow mostly herbs with a few flowers.

I have 4 kinds of mints; 3 kinds of basil; 3 kinds of rosemary; 2 kinds of oregano; lemon grass, winter & summer savories; dill; parsley; chives; sage.

A FarmGirl is sending me a start of horseradish and in the fall I hope to order MaryJane's garlic.

Have a blessed day, Sara ~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  2:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Our garden is looking very nice mostly due to the rain we've been having. We have in the garden; okra, carrots, beans, peas, dill, parsley, onion tops, bulb onions, tomato's, rosemary, basil, cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  4:51:54 PM  Show Profile
I had to giggle at your post, Sara, only because I've been there before. Ii hear about all that rain everyday from my Texas family, so much water, but at least you hate keeping a sense of humor. Hope y'all get a break soon.

My herb garden is looking good with oregano, chives, mint, and catnip in full force. My sage came up last year but since it's a biannual I bought some more this year. In the cutting garden I'm so excited because the foxglove I planted last year is blooming this year!

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  06:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I just saw Texas on the news! I hope you are not getting the horrid, life-threatening conditions shown! Prayers to you and all of my homestate!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  06:36:35 AM  Show Profile
my garden is looking a little sad at the moment! We have potatoes (hopefully) growing - the plants at least look great ;) As far as plants, we have spaghetti squash, cucumbers, watermelon, and cantaloupe, lots and lots of lettuce, sweet peppers, hot peppers, carrots, tomatoes, peas (almost done harvesting those), garlic (should be able to harvest soon), green beans, a TON of mint, sage, parsley, basil, thai basil, lavender, chives, and rosemary. I need to plant more pepper seeds and cucumber seeds. I'm hoping to do tt tomorrow. I also want to get more herbs in the ground. I just looked at my list and realized I don't think I have planted any oregano! I'll have to get that in for sure! Not sure what other herbs to plant... maybe some thyme!?!? Any other suggestions from anyone?

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7006 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7006 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  07:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, I am 100 miles, as the crow flies, northeast of the storms that have been threatening the Dallas area up into Oklahoma. So far all we are getting is rain and more rain.

The drought is broken so that is a big blessing. My big oak tree's roots must be dancing as they drink in all the water that is seeping into my backyard. Right now I have water standing from early morning rain. I'm higher than my neighbors so it will drain off soon. I do have one patch that is swishy when I walk on it.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  4:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Weeds are what are in my garden! Stupid weeds. Haven't had time to go out in the cold weather to get at them. It too shall pass and the garden will eventually grow. Can't wait.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  7:40:09 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - gramadinah on May 26 2015 05:58:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  7:42:10 PM  Show Profile
I can't get a picture to post.And or delete the mess I have.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on May 20 2015 7:45:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  06:10:19 AM  Show Profile
Happens to us all Diana!

IL has had a roller coaster spring here. Hot, cold, rain, dry. I planted another 54 perennials in my yard to add to the 100 that was out there. I loaded up my containers with their summer flowers and pray we don't have a frost (we've been close this week). I live in a partial/full shade area. I am going to try to grow two tomato plants on the patio to see how they do. If there is enough sun for them this year, I will invest in a trough next spring to grow more vegetables. Not sure if my 4 or so hours of sun on the patio will be enough. I will be getting organic herbs out soon too. Have fun gardening!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  07:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I am with Dawn, roller coaster spring! But everything is flourishing! Pics in my blog. We have lettuce, kale, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, bell peppers, hot peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, radishes, chives, chamomile, dill (as well as herbs up front), beets (red and golden), peas, and green beans! Oh! A few "volunteer" squashes (I am guessing a winter squash) and a few sunflowers. Strawberries in the front. We are looking at starting some cane fruit soon! I will still add one or two zucchini, cucumber, and winter squashes. Thinking I may try growing them vertically this year.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  08:32:46 AM  Show Profile
Well lets see....we have cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, bell peppers, cabbage, yellow squash, zucchini, rosemary, oregano, cilantro, parsley, chives, chocolate mint, basil, garlic. Planting the root crops outside this weekend....beets, potatoes, onions, carrots, etc.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  10:52:50 AM  Show Profile
Our salad garden is kale, spinach, leaf lettuce, green onions and radishes. Have already eaten a radish or two, but something else has been, as well -- ha! Then we have Swiss chard, green beans, several heirloom tomatoes, two Sungold cherry tomatoes, green peppers, a couple of different jalapenos, zukes, cukes, cantaloupes, basil, cilantro, peas and snow peas. I have lots of marigolds in between rows to help keep the bugs down, nasturtiums around the scarecrow, sweet peas, phlox, hollyhocks, purple hyacinth bean vine, sunflowers, pumpkins and corn -- oh, and some kind of burgundy bean that is edible like a field bean, but I planted it for the color (couldn't find scarlet runner beans). Whew! No wonder we are tired.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  11:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Cabbage, lettuce, onions, chives, dill, thyme,sage, parsley, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, peppers, heirloom tomatoes, watermelon, peas, strawberries, butternut and acorn squash, brussels sprouts, rhubarb, green beans, corn...... flowers: zinnias/marigolds, hummingbird/butterfly mix, 10 hanging pots with assorted flowers, glads, morning glory and clematis.
All are new plantings or transplants so there isn't much yet. Lettuce is ready to start picking but that's about all.
There are many more things I would like to plant but ran out of space. :)

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447

http://hennypennyfarm.blogspot.com/
http://time-2-sew.com
http://coupons-coupons-coupons.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2318 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2318 Posts

Posted - May 22 2015 :  07:02:46 AM  Show Profile
All of this got planted in my gardens yesterday. Today I will put up my bean towers, plant my pole and bush beans and the carrots and than Horaay I will be done with the veggies. On the other hand I will have several more flower beds to plant and once the local soil conservation district has thier excess tree sale I will have a hundred trees to plant. It will all get done, but boy does my body hurt.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on May 22 2015 07:03:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  9:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Everything in my garden got planted late this year due to the weird weather. I have peas and beans coming up, 3 eggplants, 2 pepper plants that are still in pots waiting to be transplanted, I have two tomato plants in pots, have five more (three of which might not make it) waiting to be transplanted, and I have beets in the front yard and endive in a container out front. I also have a pot of basil outside that hasn't come up yet, and I planted some basil with the beets. There is some cilantro coming up from last year, and I have lettuce and spinach growing in a re-purposed firepit. I planted three kinds of basil in indoor pots last night. My blackberries are looking good so far and I bought a new hose tonight to extend my soaker hose to the backyard where most of my garden is. I have marigold seeds that need to be planted around the beds to help control bugs. Hopefully I can get them planted this week.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  04:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Today, in my garden is a couple feet of water and mud. UGH! We've had severe flooding in the Houston area. I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, my plants will survive after the water drains off.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  05:11:10 AM  Show Profile
I love hearing what everyone is growing! We have 4 different peppers, a lot of tomatoes, I think 13 not counting the cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, kohlrabi, eggplant, a couple different kinds of beans. In the herb garden I have chives, sage, white sage, mint, purple basil, thai basil, greek oregano, lemon thyme, rosemary, cilantro, and dill. The herb garden is mine, and the veggie garden is my husbands. All of our fruit trees/bushes are too young to produce this year I believe. We just planted them last year. 2 blueberry bushes, 5 raspberry bushes, 3 apple trees, 2 almond trees, and 2 cherry trees. They all are looking good, but still need to grow.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  05:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Sara, glad to hear you are okay, though today the news looks bad in Texas. Keep us posted.

I planted more yesterday. More tomato plants went in, and I also have some garlic chives that I got at Master Gardening class. (I'm an intern this year).

My cukes are having a hard time for some reason. Last year I had so many I didn't know what to do with them. We shall see.

Also put in two more kinds of Thyme in the herb garden yesterday.

Love to see what everyone is growing!
Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5183 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5183 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  08:33:57 AM  Show Profile
I have a small one. Tomatoes, Onions, Potatoes, Peppers, Lima Beans and Sugar Snap Beans. We have had a lot of rain! Sun is out right now! Yay!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  8:01:22 PM  Show Profile
I feel so sorry for you Texas and Oklahoma gals. My son lives in Austin. I hope none of you are experiencing the flooding. My prayers are with all of you.
Our garden is just soggy. First it was too cold to plant, then too wet and I will just have to wait for a dry day.

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  08:03:16 AM  Show Profile
We planted the cabbage, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, and corn this last weekend. Now, we pray for no freeze. :)

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7006 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7006 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  06:26:51 AM  Show Profile
Had 3 fennel bulbs growing in wooden container. Checked on them several days ago and they were okay. When I checked this morning the bulbs were mush. Too much rain. Some green so I let the chickens have it. Dumped the potting soil in a low place I am trying to build up. Will try again next year.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  1:03:39 PM  Show Profile
We are trying a new plant called ketchup and fries. It's a cherry tomato grafted onto a potato plant. You can't use it the second year but it will be fun to see what happens this year. The azaleas are gorgeous and the miss Kim lilac is in bloom. Tons of berries-to-be on the bittersweet. That is so pretty to decorate with in the fall. When the rain stops I'll plant the veggies.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  1:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bonnie,

A friend of mine had that plant - by accident! It was pretty cool. She got both tomatoes and potatoes! They are both in the nightshade family.

My azaleas and Rhodos were quite disappointing this year. This winter was hard on them. The lilacs are amazing though!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's in your garden? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic