Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  06:48:26 AM  Show Profile
One of the things I miss most about my traveling musician days is sharing and collecting stories. My music partner, Kate Danaher, and I have always believed that everyone's story is worth telling, and so 90% of our music is storytelling music. Whether they are our original songs or traditional songs from America's vast mixing bowl of cultures, we like to tell stories (as opposed to the "moon june spoon - I love you why don't you love me" kind of song!). Over the years we've told our own families' stories, but also many we have heard as we traveled and met people who were willing to share their own stories.

SO . . . now that I'm staying at home caring for my family for awhile, I'm hungry to hear stories. How about yours? It can be anything, your family history, how you met your honey bunny, stories of your joys and struggles, kids, work, farm, critters, faith, even tales of your misspent youth! Please share. I don't care how long or short, I'll read them all with gratitude, and I bet I won't be the only one. I'd be happy to randomly pick a story each week and send the Sister who shared one of my CD's - so I can share with you.

This post is long enough. I promise to come back later and share a story of my own. In the meantime, I hope to hear from lots of Farmgirls with stories to tell! Hope and Hugs!

Amy

In every life there is a story, in every story there is a song.

www.danaherandcloud.com

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13617 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13617 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  1:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Amy,
I too, am a musician, starting to play the piano before I started school. When asked how long I've been playing, I say the only thing I've done longer than play the piano is breathe! I have also played the organ and taught both piano and organ as well as voice lessons.
My training was classical music with excellent theory and technique, however, my life has been focused on Christian music, as a praise and worship leader, choir director, etc.

I also grew up on a farm and currently live on some acreage that my dad deeded to my hubby and I that was part of the farm. We built a log house on it in the late 70s, doing all of our own logging, milling and construction . . I've never worked physically so hard in my life. That house burned down in 1994 due to an arson fire and we rebuilt a frame house which is a bit larger (could no longer get permit for house logs and log houses were much more costly).

My dad was a smart farmer in that he raised more than one thing, so that if there was crop failure or livestock issues he didn't lose everything. He was known as an excellent orchardman with the BEST peaches, apricots, pears, cherries and apples with apples being a MAJOR crop. Our property borders the north fruit orchard and we can see the cherry and pear trees out our front window. My mom was a farm wife in every sense of the word, raising a big vegetable garden, chickens (to eat and for eggs), the best cook ever and she, too, was a pianist and piano instructor . . .also my #1 "cheerleader" as a musician. My mom went to heaven in February 1994 and my dad in January 1997. My hubby's parents are also both in heaven.

I have three sisters and two brothers who are scattered from British Columbia, Orgeon, and Colorado to North Carolina.
(I am #5 of the six). I met my hubby, Bill, at Arizona Bible College in Phoenix, Arizona . . we celebrated 46 years just this past December. We have a daughter, Robin, who is married, lives in the Phoenix area and is a 2nd grade teacher. We also have a son, Jeremy, who has Down Syndrome who lives with a 24/7 caregiver about 3 miles from us who spends lots of time with us, but he has his own life.

I love to garden, hike, camp, papercraft, sew, spend time with daughter, who is also my best friend . . and go glamping!!
That's enough from me for now!
Thanks for letting me share!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  2:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh CJ, thanks so much for your story! I loved every bit of it. The part that caught both my heart and my imagination the most was about building your log home and then losing it to arson. Talk about having to muster up and start over! I'm a little awestruck. Your parents sound like they must have taught you a lot about patience and perseverance. Thank you again, it was an honor to read your story! P.S. my daughter is my best too.

Amy

www.danaherandcloud.com
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  08:52:30 AM  Show Profile
Amy,

I wanted to tell you the story of my amazing musical mama. At an early age, it became apparent to my Grandma that little Sylvia had musical tendencies. Grandma had been hoping that some of her father's natural musical abilities would be passed down to one of her eight children. Sylvia was the chosen one. She started out by showing interest in the piano. She would peck at the keys until she found a familiar tune. Sometimes, she would compose a little ditty. Grandma put her into music lessons and she thrived.

By the time she was in high school, she had mastered her Grandfather's violin. She was first chair in her high school orchestra and had plans to go on to music school.

Love, however, got in the way. She met my Dad during her senior year and the rest is history. Music got set aside to raise 5 children and follow an construction worker husband around the US. She taught herself to play the guitar and accompanied every Happy Birthday song in our family. She occasionally played the organ. It wasn't until all those children were grown and gone, that she picked up that old violin and dusted it off. She could still play it like she was doing a concert in front of the President. She decided that the old violin needed to become a fiddle. She practiced and practiced.

The day I realized the extent of my mother's talent was a cold Christmas day. My Dad decided she needed to learn a new instrument. He bought her a mountain dulcimer. She was delighted! The rest of the day was spent picking out songs on strings she wasn't familiar with. That evening, she asked us all to gather in the living room. She treated us to a beautiful rendition of Irish Washerwoman. I sat in awe and realized that she had just taught herself how to play an instrument in less than 12 hours.

In the years following, she taught herself to play the banjo, the hammer dulcimer and the beetle back mandolin. She was invited to play in a local Celtic group and perform repeatedly at Old Time Fiddler's performances all over the State of Utah.

Upon her passing, I was gifted the old violin. I never learned to play it. I look forward to the day that I can sit down and take the time to see if her gift has transferred to me. It is my hope that it did. If not, the old violin holds a place of honor in our home. It hangs above the piano that I never play, the banjo that I am going to learn, and the flute that will someday feel my breath.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  1:24:55 PM  Show Profile
In my twenties, I went to New York City for a blind date. Going to New York City was the same as going to Europe for me, a Midwestern girl. Although I had already spent time in Spain, Canada and Japan, New York City seemed very exotic.

I was working a temporary job in a personnel department of a music retailer, before CDs became the preferred media for music. One of my tasks was to score the retail honesty tests. The store managers would call me with the answers and I would score them and give them the results. One store manager kept calling me even when he didn't have any tests to score or information he needed. He called just to chat. I had to keep putting him on hold to answer other calls. One day he asked me for my phone number so that we could talk uninterrupted. We talked until 3:00 AM and he said he wanted to see me and offered to buy me a round trip plane ticket.

We agreed on a weekend to come to see him in New York City and I hoped on the plane. As we approached La Guardia Airport, I was feeling excited and afraid with anticipation. I turned to the gentleman sitting next to me and told him that when we landed, I would be meeting a gentleman who had bought me the ticket for the first time. I told him that I just could not explain how I was feeling. He wished me luck and we all got off the plane. As I stepped into the gate area, I scanned the crowd to see if I could pick my blind date out. I saw a gorgeous-looking guy looking right at me. I stepped forward and said, "Gabriel {my question mark key doesn't work}". He extended his hand and said, "Marie {}".

He took me out to dinner and drove me around the city. He lived in New Jersey so we had to go there to his place. I met his cat Alpha and looked at all his photography equipment. I was expecting to sleep

[Gotta go. More later.]

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  6:10:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sherone_13

Amy,

I wanted to tell you the story of my amazing musical mama. At an early age, it became apparent to my Grandma that little Sylvia had musical tendencies. Grandma had been hoping that some of her father's natural musical abilities would be passed down to one of her eight children. Sylvia was the chosen one. She started out by showing interest in the piano. She would peck at the keys until she found a familiar tune. Sometimes, she would compose a little ditty. Grandma put her into music lessons and she thrived.

By the time she was in high school, she had mastered her Grandfather's violin. She was first chair in her high school orchestra and had plans to go on to music school.

Love, however, got in the way. She met my Dad during her senior year and the rest is history. Music got set aside to raise 5 children and follow an construction worker husband around the US. She taught herself to play the guitar and accompanied every Happy Birthday song in our family. She occasionally played the organ. It wasn't until all those children were grown and gone, that she picked up that old violin and dusted it off. She could still play it like she was doing a concert in front of the President. She decided that the old violin needed to become a fiddle. She practiced and practiced.

The day I realized the extent of my mother's talent was a cold Christmas day. My Dad decided she needed to learn a new instrument. He bought her a mountain dulcimer. She was delighted! The rest of the day was spent picking out songs on strings she wasn't familiar with. That evening, she asked us all to gather in the living room. She treated us to a beautiful rendition of Irish Washerwoman. I sat in awe and realized that she had just taught herself how to play an instrument in less than 12 hours.

In the years following, she taught herself to play the banjo, the hammer dulcimer and the beetle back mandolin. She was invited to play in a local Celtic group and perform repeatedly at Old Time Fiddler's performances all over the State of Utah.

Upon her passing, I was gifted the old violin. I never learned to play it. I look forward to the day that I can sit down and take the time to see if her gift has transferred to me. It is my hope that it did. If not, the old violin holds a place of honor in our home. It hangs above the piano that I never play, the banjo that I am going to learn, and the flute that will someday feel my breath.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

Hi Sherome, and thank you so much for telling me your mother's story. What an amazing woman she must have been! It seems like your dad really appreciated her unique talents, and it's a really touching part of the story that he wanted to give her a new and fresh way to express her gift. I'll just bet that when you have some quiet hours to spend with her instruments, her spirit and her talent will come shining through!

Amy

www.danaherandcloud.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  6:16:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by churunga

In my twenties, I went to New York City for a blind date. Going to New York City was the same as going to Europe for me, a Midwestern girl. Although I had already spent time in Spain, Canada and Japan, New York City seemed very exotic.

I was working a temporary job in a personnel department of a music retailer, before CDs became the preferred media for music. One of my tasks was to score the retail honesty tests. The store managers would call me with the answers and I would score them and give them the results. One store manager kept calling me even when he didn't have any tests to score or information he needed. He called just to chat. I had to keep putting him on hold to answer other calls. One day he asked me for my phone number so that we could talk uninterrupted. We talked until 3:00 AM and he said he wanted to see me and offered to buy me a round trip plane ticket.

We agreed on a weekend to come to see him in New York City and I hoped on the plane. As we approached La Guardia Airport, I was feeling excited and afraid with anticipation. I turned to the gentleman sitting next to me and told him that when we landed, I would be meeting a gentleman who had bought me the ticket for the first time. I told him that I just could not explain how I was feeling. He wished me luck and we all got off the plane. As I stepped into the gate area, I scanned the crowd to see if I could pick my blind date out. I saw a gorgeous-looking guy looking right at me. I stepped forward and said, "Gabriel {my question mark key doesn't work}". He extended his hand and said, "Marie {}".

He took me out to dinner and drove me around the city. He lived in New Jersey so we had to go there to his place. I met his cat Alpha and looked at all his photography equipment. I was expecting to sleep

[Gotta go. More later.]

Marie, Sister #5142

Hi Marie! This is like a movie (he's Tom Hanks, you're Megan Ryan). I'm anxiously awaiting the next chapter! Awesome!

Amy

www.danaherandcloud.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  10:32:10 AM  Show Profile
I love these stories! What a great idea, Marie!

My DH and I found teaching jobs in a town about 50 miles from where we had gone to school. We rented a big old farm house and were semi-adopted by the farm couple who had built their new house a short distance away. We really wanted a place of our own though, so we started a search for an old house in the country to fix up or to live in as we built a house of our own. The realtor really wanted to sell to us and showed us everything from an old duplex in town (good income property, he said) to shacks beyond hope, to undeveloped land. He finally showed us a 10 acre wooded plot, part of a 40 he was keeping for an investment for his sons. That was it! We met two neighbors who became instant friends and started our adventure. We walked the area and came upon a slope facing south towards a small meadow that was to be HOME.
We spent a year planning, and reading books on "handmade housing", old barn designs, basic construction techniques, plumbing. Anyone else remember the Whole Earth catalogs? DH had confidence in me and appointed me plumber-in-chief. With only a small loan and the enthusiasm of youth the plan was set.
We would design and build it ourselves with the advice of an artist friend who had studied architecture and with our practical farmer friend, two men so different in attitudes and talents!
We hired the farmer's nephews to clear the building site and put in a square concrete block basement, and did the rest, with more advice from one of our neighbors, an electrician who advised us on safety and inspected all we did. That same summer we closed up the basement and set up the framing for our octagon dream home, and it "wintered in". The old farmer asked, "Do you plan on driving semi's on the roof?", but we wanted it sturdy. We worked on it weekends and every day after work, discovering that 30 degrees is still working weather when you have a dream.
When summer vacation came again we decided that driving 10 miles a day to work on it was a waste of time so we'd just move in and go from there. No windows yet, holes covered by plastic, a toilet and small sink for the bathroom, none for a kitchen. We didn't have kids yet and enjoyed working together, it was a wonderful adventure. We put our mattress on the second floor, no stairway yet and climbed the ladder to get to bed.
Our two dogs and cats accepted the move. One of the cats had been rescued not too long before we moved. She particularly loved the freedom and hunting. One night I woke to her meowing on our bed, she proudly showed off the mouse she had caught. I'm not too squeamish and after taking a deep breath thought OK, maybe I should praise her, it IS her job. The next night, when she brought us a frog, I discovered she was hunting OUTSIDE and bringing in her prey. Hmmmm!

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  11:15:27 AM  Show Profile
I come from a European mix of English, Irish, Scottish and Dutch. I've always wanted to visit Ireland and it seems when I watch movies from foreign lands I resonate the most with Irish movies and actors. I even want to talk like them. Some of my words just in normal conversation come out sounding Irish and everyone laughs!

I grew up in the rural area of Orlando and Oviedo, Florida. My dad was a truck driver and later became the foreman of his crew. He moved heavy equipment all over the state. One was a ship that is at Downtown Disney that has a restaurant. He'd tell us where he'd been and I would soak it up in my mind mapping out where he'd been and what route he took.

Later, in life when I started driving I was very good at finding my way around even on road trips. I attribute that to his stories and to my 3rd grade teacher who taught us how to tell directions with our eyes closed. After, about a week of practice I finally knew my directions. It gave me an internal compass. My family all say I am a blood hound and have an internal GPS.

My Mom loved to garden and the ocean. In Orlando we had rich black soil but in Oviedo we had good soil but bad water (salt and sulfar) so no more gardens. We'd go to the beach every summer right near the space coast. It was called Playalinda beach. I loved to travel and when I was out on my own with my first full time job with AT&T I would go visit friends in MD. I took my Mom and niece on one trip and later my brother and his friend on another to the same place in MD. I've been through the Smithsonian about 16 times! Harpers Ferry 5 times, Inner Harbor 6 times and Williamsburg, VA 1 time. I've been to New Orleans, Mobile, Gettysburg, New York, New Jersey and every state south of there on the east coast. I've been to Helen, GA 6 times, one of my favorite spots for hiking and waterfalls. The last trip in 2004 is when I came back with Lyme disease.

I am happy to say my new doctor has a cure for me and I will start treatments in the Fall. It will be a rough time so I am wating until I finish my pioneer ministry at the end of August of this year.

My beautiful daughter of 24 years and I love to garden and this year for my Anniversary present she landscaped the front yard with my DH help. It looks fantastic.

We are looking for a trailer and truck so that when I am stronger we can travel and do more of our missionary work in rural areas of the U.S.A. I collect butterfly's and vintage items of all sort. I love to do every type of craft from polymer clay to scrapbooking with a splash of sewing and jewelry making.

We have always had animals too. Horses and dogs a few chickens, rabbits and ducks when I was growing up. In my family we have had rabbits, fish, bird, dogs and cats.

That's part of my story and I'm sticking to it!

Farmgirl sister #308
Buying Club & Marketing
www.marketsofsunshine.com
Bible Research
www.jw.org
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  11:38:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cindy Lou

I love these stories! What a great idea, Marie!

My DH and I found teaching jobs in a town about 50 miles from where we had gone to school. We rented a big old farm house and were semi-adopted by the farm couple who had built their new house a short distance away. We really wanted a place of our own though, so we started a search for an old house in the country to fix up or to live in as we built a house of our own. The realtor really wanted to sell to us and showed us everything from an old duplex in town (good income property, he said) to shacks beyond hope, to undeveloped land. He finally showed us a 10 acre wooded plot, part of a 40 he was keeping for an investment for his sons. That was it! We met two neighbors who became instant friends and started our adventure. We walked the area and came upon a slope facing south towards a small meadow that was to be HOME.
We spent a year planning, and reading books on "handmade housing", old barn designs, basic construction techniques, plumbing. Anyone else remember the Whole Earth catalogs? DH had confidence in me and appointed me plumber-in-chief. With only a small loan and the enthusiasm of youth the plan was set.
We would design and build it ourselves with the advice of an artist friend who had studied architecture and with our practical farmer friend, two men so different in attitudes and talents!
We hired the farmer's nephews to clear the building site and put in a square concrete block basement, and did the rest, with more advice from one of our neighbors, an electrician who advised us on safety and inspected all we did. That same summer we closed up the basement and set up the framing for our octagon dream home, and it "wintered in". The old farmer asked, "Do you plan on driving semi's on the roof?", but we wanted it sturdy. We worked on it weekends and every day after work, discovering that 30 degrees is still working weather when you have a dream.
When summer vacation came again we decided that driving 10 miles a day to work on it was a waste of time so we'd just move in and go from there. No windows yet, holes covered by plastic, a toilet and small sink for the bathroom, none for a kitchen. We didn't have kids yet and enjoyed working together, it was a wonderful adventure. We put our mattress on the second floor, no stairway yet and climbed the ladder to get to bed.
Our two dogs and cats accepted the move. One of the cats had been rescued not too long before we moved. She particularly loved the freedom and hunting. One night I woke to her meowing on our bed, she proudly showed off the mouse she had caught. I'm not too squeamish and after taking a deep breath thought OK, maybe I should praise her, it IS her job. The next night, when she brought us a frog, I discovered she was hunting OUTSIDE and bringing in her prey. Hmmmm!

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

Hi Susan! Oh wow The Whole Earth Catalog, did that bring back memories! Your story had so many elements of what it means to be part of a true community. Especially the farmer and the artist -- it fires the imagination. Even kitty cat did her bit for the cause! When they bring in prey like that I think it means they're trying to teach you to hunt! Thanks for sharing your heartwarming story and glad you're enjoying the stories!
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  11:51:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marjean

I come from a European mix of English, Irish, Scottish and Dutch. I've always wanted to visit Ireland and it seems when I watch movies from foreign lands I resonate the most with Irish movies and actors. I even want to talk like them. Some of my words just in normal conversation come out sounding Irish and everyone laughs!

I grew up in the rural area of Orlando and Oviedo, Florida. My dad was a truck driver and later became the foreman of his crew. He moved heavy equipment all over the state. One was a ship that is at Downtown Disney that has a restaurant. He'd tell us where he'd been and I would soak it up in my mind mapping out where he'd been and what route he took.

Later, in life when I started driving I was very good at finding my way around even on road trips. I attribute that to his stories and to my 3rd grade teacher who taught us how to tell directions with our eyes closed. After, about a week of practice I finally knew my directions. It gave me an internal compass. My family all say I am a blood hound and have an internal GPS.

My Mom loved to garden and the ocean. In Orlando we had rich black soil but in Oviedo we had good soil but bad water (salt and sulfar) so no more gardens. We'd go to the beach every summer right near the space coast. It was called Playalinda beach. I loved to travel and when I was out on my own with my first full time job with AT&T I would go visit friends in MD. I took my Mom and niece on one trip and later my brother and his friend on another to the same place in MD. I've been through the Smithsonian about 16 times! Harpers Ferry 5 times, Inner Harbor 6 times and Williamsburg, VA 1 time. I've been to New Orleans, Mobile, Gettysburg, New York, New Jersey and every state south of there on the east coast. I've been to Helen, GA 6 times, one of my favorite spots for hiking and waterfalls. The last trip in 2004 is when I came back with Lyme disease.

I am happy to say my new doctor has a cure for me and I will start treatments in the Fall. It will be a rough time so I am wating until I finish my pioneer ministry at the end of August of this year.

My beautiful daughter of 24 years and I love to garden and this year for my Anniversary present she landscaped the front yard with my DH help. It looks fantastic.

We are looking for a trailer and truck so that when I am stronger we can travel and do more of our missionary work in rural areas of the U.S.A. I collect butterfly's and vintage items of all sort. I love to do every type of craft from polymer clay to scrapbooking with a splash of sewing and jewelry making.

We have always had animals too. Horses and dogs a few chickens, rabbits and ducks when I was growing up. In my family we have had rabbits, fish, bird, dogs and cats.

That's part of my story and I'm sticking to it!

Farmgirl sister #308
Buying Club & Marketing
www.marketsofsunshine.com
Bible Research
www.jw.org

Hi Marsha! When I read your story I got this picture in my mind of you listening to your dad and becoming a travelin' girl at heart. When you said you collect butterflies I thought it made sense because you are like a butterfly, fluttering here and there sharing beauty and faith. Good luck with the Lyme treatment, I'm sure your beautiful new front yard will give you a beautiful place to recover. Thanks for sharing and you'll be in my prayers!

Amy

www.danaherandcloud.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  7:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Next bit of the story.

He took me out to dinner and drove me around the city. He lived in New Jersey so we had to go there to his place. I met his cat Alpha and looked at all his photography equipment. I was expecting to sleep on the couch like we do out here in the Midwest. He invited me to his bed. In Minnesota, this usually means there will be some adult recreation happening. Nothing happened and I may a rather large fool of myself putting all my usual moves on Gabriel. He shared the bed and did not get intimate. I was young and quite comfortable having short term relationships so this was really very confusing. It wasn't until years later that I learned that in New York City, people often shared beds because of the housing shortage there. At the airport, before I got on the plane, he gave me a surprise kiss on the mouth. I knew I would never see him again.

At least I have this story to tell and the experience of a carriage ride through Central Park, seeing some interesting art in galleries, ice skating at Rockefeller Center, the National History Museum and an Andreas Vollenweider concert.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2015 :  7:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Whoa Marie, I didn't see that ending coming! This story really would make a great movie. I can just picture a hilarious scene between the two of you trying to figure out what was happening in the bedroom! But you know, it's very poignant too that you had one special weekend, and then never saw each other again. Do you ever think about looking him up, just out of curiosity?

Amy

www.danaherandcloud.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  08:31:31 AM  Show Profile
I have tried to look him up. His last name is part of the name of an Italian car so it is difficult to sort it out. The scene in the bedroom was pathetic not hilarious. I was foolishly turning on the sexual charm. I had a vision of my pale chubby body in a camisole and tap pants trying to be sultry and he on the other side of the room setting up his photography chemicals and putting me off as gently as he could. I did a lot of risky and stupid things so I didn't have to be alone. I have never spoken about it at this depth before.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Apr 16 2015 08:34:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  4:45:45 PM  Show Profile
Marie, I can sympathize, I have also done things I'm not proud of, especially when I was younger. I Think as women we often look for love in all the wrong places, as the song goes. But we grow and we learn, then we have to forgive ourselves. Thank you for for telling this story, I didn't realize at first how it must have been a little hard to share and I 'm honored that you did. Thanks and give yourself a hug from me.

Amy

www.danaherandcloud.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  07:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Susan and Marie, thanks for your addresses, CD's are on the way.

Marie, I loved loved loved your DH's tracks! I suspect we have some similar influences. I'm nuts about his songs and his disctive voice and tone quality on his guitar playing. Any chance that's you signing backup?

CJ, Sherone and Marsha, I sent you emails, did you get them?

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  10:47:42 AM  Show Profile
When I was in first and second grade, I went to school in a three room schoolhouse which had six grades. There were three regular teachers and one art teacher who came in regularly. There was a low ceiling gym in the basement and an amazing playground with a big meadow which we would run across racing the sun shadows up to the pine tree at the end. The school at one time had been a one-room school house for the farm families in the area.

In first grade I had a wonderful teacher who retired after that year. The next year we had a first year teacher whom I will never forget. This story will illustrate Miss Graves why.

We all came into the school room as usual and sat at our desks getting ready for school. Miss Graves made an announcement:

"Someone wrote "I hate school" on the wall over there in the corner. I want to know which one of you did it."

We were all shocked. I couldn't think of anyone who would do that. She further informed us that the word "school" had been spelled "skool". I was thinking that if I had done it, I would have at least spelled it right. We were made to sit there while she stared at us. Eventually, she had us do some work. She sat at her desk fuming. We were asked to take out paper and write something down on it. She collected them. Once that was over she allowed us to do some schoolwork while she called each and everyone of us to the corner of the room for a private showing of the graffiti. When my turn came, I looked at the scrawl - a combination of capital and small letters saying "I hate skool." She asked me if I had done it. I said, "no." She asked me why I would say that. I told her it was because I knew how to spell school and spelled it for her. She then asked me if I could think of anyone who could have and again I said no. Most of us had a brother or a sister in this small school. My sister was in the same classroom with me in the first grade. Miss Graves always said to her "Don't you roll your eyes at me Vanessa" so I wasn't really fond of this teacher but I loved going to school.

We always ate our lunch at our desks because we didn't have a lunchroom. Sometimes we ate outside if it was warm. She let us go out for recess. We talked about it a little but then ran off and played. When we came back in we were all feeling good from the exercise outside. We were anxious to get back to work. Miss Graves made another announcement:

"I now know that a second grader did this. The first graders have not had the word "school" yet so it has to be a second grader."

I believed that to be faulty reasoning because a person who didn't know how to spell the word would certainly spell it wrong. By this time, she had probably compared our handwriting to the graffiti and had some suspects. The first graders were allowed to do their work but the second graders were not. When I took something out of my desk, Miss Graves told me to put it away. Now the private interrogation began. One by one she called us up to her desk and sat us down to ask questions. All of us in the classroom were quiet, even the first graders. Forty-six years ago kids did not act out in school. We didn't argue with teachers and we never disobeyed. All of us were feeling pressured. I either looked at the teacher interrogating students or at my sister for encouragement. She kept her head down working. My turn came. I remember saying over and over again that I didn't do it and I didn't know who did. I told her that I had no reason to go to that corner of the classroom. She tried to get me to talk about what I liked to do, you know trying to make a connection, and by this time I didn't trust her and I didn't tell her much. I may have said at one point, "May I go back to my desk now." None of us could hear what she asked people or what they answered. Our desks were too far away.

At the end of the day, the first graders were dismissed for the bus first. She told the second graders that she was certain the culprit was one of us and she wanted the perpetrator to confess. We were all pretty nervous because there was only one bus and we did not want to miss it. Miss Graves dismissed the second grade by rows. My row was last. She dismissed my row by person. I was the second to the last in the row. Wade Baltz was behind me. She paused before dismissing us. I looked at her in wonder knowing that she suspected me of doing it. Wade would not have done it. He was a nice enough guy but not too quick.

I never trusted that woman again. I was angry at her and I didn't know how to express it. Even at that age, I had a sense of justice. After that, I did what I was told, I kept myself closed off from Miss Graves and I was happy to be out of her classroom. She did not come back the next year. I tell this story to the grade school kids I work with whenever they complain to me about Mrs. Pendleton. They all understand.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  2:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Another great story, Marie! It made me think back on my own teachers in elementary school, but I didn't have anyone like Miss Graves, thank goodness. I'm so glad you shared another story, and I realize I promised to share one in my original post and didn't, so here it is. Hope you enjoy it, its a classic in my family. I hope to read more stories from you and other Farmgirls, too!

My brother is 4 years older than me, and quite frankly a musical genius. I have been very fortunate to be blessed with some amount of talent in music, but Rusty, my big brother was unbelievable. He could sing whole songs, words and all, before he could even talk. My mom would be at the market with him as a toddler sitting in the basket, and he would be singing complete standards like "Stardust" and "Sweet Georgia Brown." People were amazed. He is also an intellectual genius, his IQ is off the charts. He is also humble, kind and a wonderful brother and son. But he had a problem. Rusty was what was then diagnosed and "hyperkinetic" and is probably now called "hyperactive." He almost never slept, and he was never still. Never! Even as a young boy, he was up before the sun, and stayed up late into the night. He was famous in our neighborhood for being the singing paper boy. Neighbors who were up early enough would hear him walking along, delivering his papers and singing at the top of his lungs.

When he was born, my parents were living in an apartment building in Baltimore near Johns Hopkins University. My Dad was finishing his Ph.D. in physics, after having served in World War II. (So you can see where Rusty got his brains. I missed that boat, too:). The building was full of graduate students like Dad, some married with or without children, but most were single young men getting back to their educations after the war. They studied for long hours, mostly at night because many of them had teaching assistant positions during the day, as my Dad did.

Rusty wasn't a colicky baby, or a cranky baby. He was healthy and happy all the time, he just didn't sleep. He didn't nap during the day at all, and barely slept at night. My mother was sleep deprived beyond the norm for a new mother. She was so tired she was half giddy all the time. Since Dad was a teaching assistant by day and writing a thesis by night, keeping up with Rusty was her job. She dearly loved her baby boy, and knew how hard Dad was working, so she never complained and tried to manage, but she was fighting a losing battle. At night, she would put Rusty in his crib and try to sleep. But in an hour or so, he was up, crying for her. And if she let him cry, the students in the building who were trying to study would complain immediately. But as soon as she picked him up and walked around or played with him, he was a happy camper, cooing and chirping away. So she was up for most of the night, the maybe got another hour or two of sleep, then up again. Night after night.

Then, late one night, she reached the end of her rope. As she walked around their tiny fifth floor apartment with the wide awake baby in her arms, she stopped to look out the window. It was summer, and the window was open. She looked out the window. She looked at Rusty. She looked out the window. She looked at Rusty. They she ran to the bedroom, woke my Dad up and handed over that baby! My Dad took one look at his poor hysterical young wife, and asked no questions, he just got up and took over. Dad took the next day off, and Mom slept almost 24 hours straight!

Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  10:32:59 AM  Show Profile
My story..........I listened to a pesty friend who told me to call this guy and ASK him out........well I never......Me ask?????? I finally did....the blind date went so so......never thought I would see him again.That happened the beginning of November.........he proposed on Valentines Day....not aware it was Valentines Day. We got married on April 16 th 1977. I lookbacknow and smile......we've come along way, Baby.....cannot imagine life without him.
It's been very interesting married to a man from India........knew NOThing
About their culture when we married.......now Mother India is in my blood forever.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  12:04:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Bev what a great story.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  1:06:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bonnie.......

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  5:53:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bev! Love your love story and especially the way you told it. So much style! Have you been to India? My dad and uncle both served there back in the war, and told wonderful stories about it. I've always wanted to go there. Thanks so much!

Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  6:20:41 PM  Show Profile
Live there part of the year.....and am contemplating on staying there next time. I have several times invited gals from here to come over and visit....I do have plenty of space........come on over when I am there....there's plenty to see and experience. Would love to get a fewfarm
gals and go textile shopping...what fun.....I mean really.It would be great fun for me to entertain and show an interesting time in India.Anyway,it's fun to dream. I just really want to use the new home....and yes it has 5 bedrooms and 5 and a half bathrooms...wish I had that here.
Beverly

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile
When we gather with my husband's family, the stories usually run to the dogs we used to have. My husband and I got a Doberman Pinscher pup from friends and named her Cinnamon. The first incident was when we just got her. Someone slammed the outside door as they went out, but she had her front legs out the door. She screamed, the legs were broken, and Cinnamon had splints on the front legs during rainy season in Texas. We had to take her to the vet once a week to get fresh splints because no matter how carefully I wrapped them in plastic, they got wet. As she grew, I tried walking her, but ended up being dragged down the street. She would pounce my little boy when he came in from school. She ran up and down the fenceline, racing the neighbor's dog, then she discovered a loose wooden board and visited him (luckily she was fixed). She also farted when she slept under our bed.

Because we couldn't handle her, we sent her to my brother-in-law Bruce's house, where she bit, chased cats, and broke through porch screens. Bruce himself couldn't handle her, but luckily she found a wonderful home with a farmer here in Florida, riding around with him in his pickup.

Looking back, we were inexperienced at dealing with young large dogs, which is why I stick with German compact models now.

Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  10:15:18 AM  Show Profile

This picture is where Churunga and I used to have picnics in Plymouth Iowa. We would pack bologna sandwiches, carrot sticks (in pastel Tupperware glasses with seals) and drinks and follow the path from our house along the Shell Rock River to the concrete pilings of an old mill. We could smell the tar from the railroad ties, and bittersweet weed scents. In those days, there were few bushes on the right, and the water between the pilings was stagnant and had yellowish foam. Farther to the left, crisscrossed wood stretched across the width of the river, and daredevil boys would jump across the gap, then clamber across the wood.

While we lived there in the 70s, the town had its centennial. A book was printed with stories of the town. One of the stories concerned the watermill where we had our picnics. The wife of one of the mill workers visited him at work, and as she stepped over the cogs in the floor, her long skirt caught on the cogs. She was pulled under repeatedly, and died. This left a deep impression on me, as I imagined her screaming as she hit the rocks and wood, and plunged under water.

Plymouth was a great town to grow up in. We would run around everywhere, and our mother didn't have to worry about us.

Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  11:00:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Vanessa, two great stories! I know what you mean about big young dogs. I was once dragged around on walks by a Great Dane. As I read the Plymouth story I could almost see, hear and smell the picnic spot, and the part about the mill worker's wife gave me goose bumps! Thanks for sharing, I loved them both!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please Share Your Story! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page