notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  05:48:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm contemplating a story to share, but for now I just want to say I am really enjoying this thread. Thanks for starting it Amy! I loved the story about your mom and your brother. Vanessa when you described "the bittersweet weed scents" that really got me. That smell, it can put you back in the past and the present at the same time. It's my favorite thing about summer. When that smells creeps up unexpectedly.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  09:37:49 AM  Show Profile
Again,Amy, thanks for starting this thread and thanks to those posting here! Here's a new addition.

Years ago my SIL had a job as a respite foster care worker for the county social services. She took in kids for a week-end or a few days for parents who needed a break from caring for special needs kids. She worked with two boys from one family who were especially trying, I forget if they had a form of autism or severe HDAD or some other condition.
One of the boys told her their dog had just had puppies so she decided to stop by, since she loved baby animals as well as kids. To her horror, when she entered the home she saw the boys playing catch with the tiny puppies! One hit the wall and was immediately killed. She snatched up the other three, and told the mother she could not leave them there. They were so young that their eyes were not yet open. She stopped at a vet's office on her way home to get some milk replacer and a tiny bottle.
Her landlord would not accept pets, so she called us to see if we could help. DH and I already had a dog, but said we could keep one and look for a home for the other two.
Just a word of advice, when you get three tiny puppies, and have 3 kids, aged 10 to 15, each will fall in love with a different one!
After a few days we decided that we now had all three for keeps.
They were obviously mixed breed, but a neighbor said it looked like there were 6 fathers among the 3 pups!
Mikey, named after the kid in a Cherrios commercial(Let Mikey try it, he'll eat anything.) was marked and colored live a miniature Doberman, with smooth hair and long legs. He either was injured or had minor birth defects, and had a bent tail, a somewhat deformed left front foot and a bit of an overbite. He would curl up in my son's hand and got the nickname, Dogball.
Larry was the guard dog of the group, always thought he was a big guy. He looked slightly like a Scottie, with short legs, shaggy curly hair that changed from almost black as a pup to a silver salt and pepper shade. I think the name had some connection with the Three Stooges.
The third was Russel, named after a rock star favorite of one of other kids cared for by my SIL. Russel was built like a rather delicate Cocker Spaniel, but seemed to only have the guard hairs
so though his coat was black and wavy you could partially see the skin peeking through.
They were not beautiful, probably the best you could say was they were interesting in their variety. But they were loved and lived out their lives with us.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  7:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Erin, I'm so glad you're enjoying the stories. I could read them all night. I'll look forward to yours when you're ready!

Susan, your story of the rescue of Mikey, Larry and Russell made me cry. First with sadness for the puppy that died, then with happiness because they got such an amazing home. The last sentence is nothing short of beautiful. Than you so much!!

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  11:00:35 PM  Show Profile
When I was a girl in Junior High School I used to occasionally walk home with the neighbor boy Victor who lived a few houses down the street. We had gone to school for several years together and once in awhile he would come over to play with my brother. I didn't really think about him that much and it was a casual acquaintance for me. We did "chat" on our walks home but I didn't feel one way or another about him other than we walked home to keep company and make our way up the long hill easier by talking. One very early morning around 1:00 a.m. I awoke to a young man screaming down the street and suddenly I could see the lights of the neighborhood begin to turn on. I could hear the words calling my name over and over. A blood curdling scream hollered out "I love you!" My parents came out and we all were standing in my bedroom on the second floor and we could look down to driveway of Victor's house. He was standing outside screaming at the hill where our house stood. Suddenly the phone rang and it was the neighbor girls I knew telling me Victor was calling me. I stood there completely surprised that I never knew how he had felt about me. I knew I had not realized he had the capacity to scream like this as he was always quiet and shy. I told the girls I was as surprised as they were to learn about his crush on me. I hung up the phone and asked my parents if I should go down to try to calm him. They told me no I could not go. Suddenly an ambulance arrived and we saw they hauled him away. Victor never returned and I never saw him again. I later learned he had tripped out on a tab of LSD. I do not know the circumstances that followed. I do know that my parents saved me from seeing an image of Victor that would have stayed with me, and that his scream of my name etched a memory I have never forgotten. I have heard the war cry of a soul that is being taken by drug use and that he wanted me to know he cared about me. The entire neighborhood learned a lot that night.

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  06:07:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh Annie, this story is so sad and touching at the same time. If he hadn't cried out for you and brought his condition that night to everyone's attention he might have died. Its like he was crying out for help to the girl he loved so secretly. I'm sorry you never got to see him again,but we can pray for him, wherever he is. Thank you for sharing this!!

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  5:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Yes, and most of us kids in the neighborhood were so young and naïve about drugs. I of course had no idea the Victor was even considering using drugs. In the early 60's television was still relatively new and most families did not have sets yet. If they did they watched only a few shows like The Polka Parade. Kids were more protected and innocent. It did surprise us. I heard from the grapevine at a high school class reunion Victor lost his mind with the one dose. He perhaps is still under mental care or has passed away by now as it was over 50 years ago. It is important for parents to teach their children to turn down drug offers and explain the "seat of the soul" and that drugs will kill the soul and they will become addicted and become like one of the living dead, unable to enjoy the earth they are supposed to enjoy and be a part of. Keep a song in your heart and your soul will sing.

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  5:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Wise and powerful words!

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  7:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Annie, what an amazing story! Thank you for sharing something so intense and personal. I am so sorry about what happened to Victor, but there may have been peace for him knowing he had told you how he cared for you. Maybe being unable to communicate his feelings led him to try drugs.

Here is a childhood story.
I was about 4 years old. My Mom had stayed home from church with my little brother, but Dad dropped me off at Sunday School. He stopped at the local cafe for a cup of coffee while he waited for me. After Sunday School was over my teacher walked me out to the car and was waiting with me. I was a little upset when he wasn't there right away, but when he got there Dad was grinning. I got in and he said that there was something for me in the back seat. I peaked over the seat and then dived over! There on the floor was a tiny lamb, wrapped up in an old towel. Dad had been talking with a neighbor at the cafe who said he had a ewe that wouldn't accept her new lamb and that he didn't have time to try to hand-feed it, so Dad had offered to take it and had stopped at the neighbor's farm.
When we got her home, mom got out a baby bottle and a box for her to stay in behind the heating stove. I named her Rosie, because her nose was a bit pink. My Dad got me a pink dog collar for her. She needed coaxing at first but thrived with the bottle feeding and attention. She had the run of the yard during the day and a pen in the barn at night.
A month or two later a salesman had stopped at our house to talk with Dad, parking near the house. When he was ready to leave he started to back up, not noticing the lamb behind his car. Tuffy, our big German Shepherd, charged across the yard from near the barn, hitting the lamb with her shoulder and knocking her to safety!

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  9:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Susan, what a special experience, no wonder that you couldn't forget it. How long did you have the lamb?

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  3:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan, and thank you for another wonderful story. I can picture you as a little girl discovering your daddy's gift in the back seat! Rosie the lamb was a lucky little thing. Not only did she have the humans in the family looking out for her, but Tuffy the dog was too. Such a sweet heartwarming story -- thank you so much!

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  7:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, I had Rosie for about 3 years but she ate some nightshade plants that had been missed in the pasture and didn't make it. I still have a batt of her wool, have never made a quilt with it but hope to some day. I believe I have a picture of me feeding her, but it's buried in a big box I inherited remembering this may get me to do some sorting!

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 04 2015 :  10:50:03 AM  Show Profile
I thought I'd share another little story with all of you. This one is about a chance encounter that really had an impact on me, that occurred back when the financial recession was in full swing. My music partner, Kate and I were one the way home from playing at a county fair in southwest Virginia. It had been an amazing fair, the organizers and local people were full of hospitality, and we got to spend some quality time with my idol, Mr. Marty Stuart, who was the music headliner. So we were in high spirits heading back, traveling on Virginia Route 58. We had always traveled by map before, but had recently invested in a GPS, so we pulled off the road to double check that the thing was working. Right in front of us was a young man and woman with a little child, sitting next to an old hatchback car which had seen better days. The hatchback was open, and they were selling all kinds of little things, including a pretty ladies' pink and white dress which hung from the back of the car. We said hello, and talked a little bit, and during the conversation we realized this was a young family that had fallen on hard times, and these were some of their possessions that they were selling to try to get by. Kate and I each bought something that we didn't really need, wished them well, and headed back into the truck. As we started up the road again, we were both silent, and when we did finally speak, we were both in tears. Both of us felt broken-hearted at the plight of this poor young family. We talked about it for awhile, and Kate mentioned that as she pulled back out onto the road, she saw the pretty pink and white dress swaying in the breeze, and would never forget that sight.

That young family and their troubles haunted both of us and stayed in our prayers. About 6 months later, I wrote a song about it, called "The Pink And White Dress." It became one of our most popular songs, and every time we play it, we feel the same as we did that day. I only hope that young family found some good luck along the way and is in better circumstances today.

That's one of my stories, sure would like to hear one of yours . . .

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - May 04 2015 :  12:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Ah, well, one more story (and it is my favorite). I was at work in mid-June several years ago when my boss called me into her office. She took a breath and said, "Vanessa, I'm going to have to let you go." I was a bit stunned (my mouth may even have dropped open). I'd been working there for quite a while, and was over the probationary period when they could dismiss me for any reason.

Then she continued, "I'm going to let you go to Las Vegas with your husband for your anniversary!" Then I turned around, and there was my husband and all the other ladies in the office crowded around her office door, enjoying the excitement.

My husband, who wanted to surprise me for our 25th anniversary, contacted my boss secretly, arranged for vacation time for me, then swept me out of the office and off to Vegas. My daughter packed clothes for me. I never imagined when I woke up that morning that we would be gawking at neon lights that night. He also took me to the Grand Canyon Skywalk, which had just opened.

Because of this surprise I love him, in spite of his many faults.

Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 04 2015 :  8:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa: What a sweet story. And your husband is definitely a keeper.

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  06:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Vanessa, I love this story! What a guy! When you think about how many details he had to take care of to pull the surprise off, it's amazing. He must be crazy about you. I especially love how he got your boss involved, it added a dramatic touch to everything. Was he always so romantic?

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - May 11 2015 :  6:40:13 PM  Show Profile
He's not a kissy guy, but he is my rock. It was easy to surprise me- I wasn't expecting anything special that year.

Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  05:56:31 AM  Show Profile
Here's the story of how I met my husband, Jason, and the circumstances that threw us together.

People always ask how we met, and I have to say it was through my ex. They both worked together at Starbucks. That sounds like some drama, but really it wasn't. We met at a party that a few Starbucks employees were having, and I remember thinking, though I was with the other guy at the time, that I was going to marry Jason. I just knew it. But I'm not a big flirt, and even though I had this feeling, I wasn't sure why, and I wasn't going to do anything about it right then.

I broke up with the other guy a few months later. I also had to move (unrelated to the break up), and I moved in with a girl I worked with. She rented me a bedroom in her house, but I had all of this photography equipment that was hanging out in my little bedroom taking up a lot of space. Jason called me one day. He told me he got my number from the other guy. He wanted to know if I could teach him how to develop photos, and possibly store the equipment in his basement. He had an idea to go around the country in our little corner of Indiana, and take pictures of abandoned barns and farmhouses. I told him it would actually help me out to store the equipment at his house, so I brought it over there. We unloaded it, and then we both forgot all about it.

A couple months later, it was November 4 2005, he called me to invite me to his stepdad's woods for a little Indian summer get-together. It was insanely mild that night, just beautiful weather. I was sitting at home doing nothing, and completely out of character for me, I said I would go. It was really nice. There was a fire, I brought red wine, we were taking a paddle boat out in the pond... Then his brother decided to have a little wrestling match. Apparently, this is a thing. Jason is the oldest of three brothers, and the youngest feels the need for some playful retaliation from time to time for.... whatever happens when you're a kid and you're the youngest.

So they start wrestling. Jason is wearing hiking boots. At one point his feet are planted pretty firmly in the ground, and his brother twists him... and there's a crack. I heard it. It was horrible. An ambulance was called, and I followed them all to the hospital, not really sure if I should be there or not, but encouraged by the leg-breaker's wife to come along. I stayed even after everyone had left, and when he was released I went over to his house to clean it for him. He was on crutches with a boot, and he had a rod put in his leg. I kept coming over to help him and just to hang out. I didn't know at the time that that was our first date, but he insists it was, and I just roll with it. Seven months later we were married.

I feel I should add that the leg-breaker and wife are two of the best people I know. They are my kids godparents. They come over for dinner all the time. We go on vacation together. We are very close to them, and love them dearly!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  07:48:52 AM  Show Profile
Erin, what a sweet story. Sometimes people are just meant to be together. My husband and I met when I was a sophomore in high school and he was my counselor at church camp. later I saw him at my church. My folks had tickets to see "the diary of Anne Frank" a live play. I surprised my mom by asking him. Then he asked me out. We got married when I was 19 and have been married 53 years. I hope you two will have the same blessing.

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  05:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Bonnie. And thanks for sharing how you and your husband met. :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  06:04:08 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm stories of how we met our hubbies - how I love them! I always get a chuckle when people ask how my hubby and I met... Let me explain.....

I had finished my nursing school, passed my exams and started working as a registered nurse... yet still wanted to continue working on my Biology Pre/Med degree. I only had two more years to complete it! Since I was going to be in school full time, and work full time, I decided to move closer to both. A friend of mine was renting a house with another girl, and they needed a third housemate. I decided to go for it, as I could walk to my classes from the house, and it was a five to ten minute drive to the hospital. Shortly after moving in, I met the other roommate and her boyfriend. The four of us enjoyed hanging out, though I didn't have many days off. A couple months later, I was in a really bad accident, after hitting a deer. I was on medical leave from work, and all of a sudden had LOTS of time on my hands. The four of us were constantly together. We started meeting some of the boyfriend's other friends from the military (he was active duty), and I started hanging out with him and his coworkers. Fishing and the shooting range were some favorites. We also all had lots of serious religious conversations! Anyways, a year after i had moved in with the girls, the one roommate and her boyfriend broke up. Shortly after, she and I started renting another house together, as the other roommate went to Australia to get her master's degree. A couple weeks after we moved, the ex boyfriend called looking for my roommate, but she was out of town for work. We ended up chatting about the really bad night he had at work the night before, and then he asked if I had eaten dinner yet. I told him no, so we met at AppleBees to chat more and get something to eat. A couple other guys from his work joined us, and I didn't think about it much. A couple weeks later, he called saying he had gotten a DVD that he thought I would enjoy, called City Of Angels. Since we didn't have a DVD player, it would have to be watched in his apartment. I asked my roommate if she wanted to go, and she said no, so after my math lab, I headed to his apartment to watch the movie. During the movie, my cell phone rang. I had only had it for a couple days, so hearing it startled me, causing me to know my RED wine on his WHITE carpet!!!! I ignored my phone and started scrubbing his carpet. He reassured me it was okay and I checked who was calling... it was my roommate. I called her back and she started screaming at me. Totally taken aback, I tried to figure out what she was upset about. She hung up on me, and I burst into tears. He and I started watching the movie again, to try to distract my mind, when about five minutes ager, she burst into his apartment. They started arguing, so I left and headed to my parents, about 30 minutes away, to get away from the drama that was unfolding. Long story short, he ended up following me. Five weeks later, Brad and I were engaged... a little less than a year later, we were married. That was a little over 12 years ago!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  07:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Shannon what a great story! I love it! Just goes to show, you never know who's put into your life for a reason.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  09:09:03 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, what a story. You just have to find the right one. Congrats!

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  11:54:02 AM  Show Profile
These three stories are each very special. I love hearing about the winding ways that lead folks unsuspectingly to their heart's desire. Sometimes you see it coming and sometimes you don't. It's the joy of life's uncharted territory! I love reading these stories, thank you so much! :)

Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  9:27:41 PM  Show Profile
I love the "how we met" stories. I don't know that there is a "one and only" for everyone, but sometimes there is a real mystery/magic to the situation.
Here is our story.
I had been going to college for about a year and a half, going home almost every weekend because of a boyfriend back home. I had come to the conclusion that we were worlds apart, not just miles.
A couple of weeks later I went with a group of girls to a party. A rather quiet guy sat down by me and started a conversation, I don't know how it came up but I found out he had the same birthday as my brother, interesting! He had just transferred from a different school. We talked for hours,he asked for my phone number, I didn't get his. Two weeks went by and he hadn't called. I went home for another weekend, got back Sunday evening with plans to meet some girls for a play. The phone rang as I got in and was ready to dash across campus to the theater. It was him! Like a dumb bunny I said I was glad he had called but I was meeting friends, call back.
AsI dashed across campus it occurred to that he had taken that long to call and maybe I had lost my chance! I don't remember anything about the play. Just minutes after I got back to the dorm the phone rang. We talked for hours!

To make a long story short, we have been married for more than 44 years now and I'm still so glad he called back!

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  10:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Susan: great story! Obviously got the best one for you. Congrats on 44 years.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please Share Your Story! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page