Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic newly farmgirled story Next Topic  

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2006 :  5:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Well girls, from the little city girl turned farm girl...you knew there would be some stories. You have to remember that the littlest things excite me at this point. My fella and I built a building today. Yes, I learned to run a saw and swing a hammer...hahaha He has sawdust running through his veins, not me....(flour, here) but I stepped up to the challenge. It's 12x12 and is under roof....still have some to do but coming along nicely. I am truly tired today. It felt really great to build something big...I am 4'9, a little farm girl and these boards were 12 - 16 feet each. Some of them anyway. I've crafted for years and years, this was the same but different,,, but felt great. Thanks for reading..I just had to share.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2006 :  6:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it great to realize we accomplished something different than what we are used to doing. We can clap our hands and say 'Boy Howdy!!'. And it is a good tired feeling,too.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2006 :  6:20:07 PM  Show Profile
How exciting Birdi!! I love that feeling too! Gosh..I am nearly a foot taller than you...so that is REALLY impressive..those boards are hard to handle!
Good for you!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  09:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Birdi,

Wonderful! I'm not very handy, but I'm crafty too. When we do complete a project together on our spread (.25 acre in subdivision. ha!) I feel great too. Good for you. Make sure you take a hot bath to relax those muscles. And I'm thinking you should probably have some chocolate to keep up your strength.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  09:16:01 AM  Show Profile
Birdi, high five! What an accomplishment.....I bet you can't stop staring at that building you and your sweetie created! And I bet he can't stop staring at you....in awe! Good job, I am very happy for you. I am assuming it is on your property, so what are you going to fill it with????!! Have a great day, and I heartily concur with the chocolate therapy! Nance
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  09:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the encouragement!! The building is going to be for storage. Since he has newly aquired me and my junk...and he already had some of his own...it was a logical choice to start with. We certainly had a lot of fun with this project. We still have some to do on it...but it is well on its way. I get to move junk soon!!! Yaaaaayyyy!!

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Good job! I have found that size or strength in getting things done doesn't matter as much as determination. While I am not nearly as short as you (I am a giant of 5'3"!) I am pretty small overall too, but I have gotten things accomplished that many women would not try, simply because I am determined. The feeling of satisfaction is so rewarding! Keep us posted on your progress. I can relate to your "city girl turned farm girl" I am presently a suburbs girl trying to buy a place in the country! Blessings to you and your hubby for your hard work!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  12:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good for you, Birdi! The tired feeling from actual, physical labor is the best.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  2:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Brenda, after being here on this site for just a short time, I noticed that determination seems to be one of the most common threads of being farmgirled. At least I fit in somewhere, I may nothave had anything at times through the years, but I have always had determination...just like you and so many other ladies here.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  7:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Way to go, Birdi! I think that a spirit of adventure, determination, kindness and generosity are all big parts of what being a farmgirl is about. You all are wonderful...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  9:20:20 PM  Show Profile
little can be mighty! we have a teeeeeeeensy woman in our hometown who single-handedly builds amazing structures! you are not only building "buildings" .. but memories too! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  04:43:41 AM  Show Profile
BIRDI, WOW, and I thought my embroidery hoop was hard to handle and had to get a smaller one. Great job and accomplishment!!!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  05:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for all the encouragement, ladies!! I'll have pictures posted as soon as its finished. Gosh, I never knew how many little steps there was to building. LOL But absolutely on the memories..I have collected many. Happy Thanksgiving to all! I have so much to be thankful for

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  07:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Birdi sounds awesome:) It becomes addicting! I helped our local organization like habitat for humanity with roofing and was way up and tarring and hammering and toting shingles (way too heavy) i'm 5'2 lil more than you;) Well have tons of fun and isn't it nice getting tired from a good hard days work;) I envy my bf doin construction he loves it and is a hard worker but man its TOUGH work! HUGS

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  6:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi farmgirls! I have pictures and I don't know how to get them on here....any help??? Please?

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  6:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Can't help with the pictures as I haven't figured it out yet either! Just wanted to tell you how great I think it is that you tried and accomplished this! Way to go! I think half the battle is believing that it is possible! My Mom was barely 4'11 and very "girly" but built several pieces of furniture because she couldn't get my Father to! I have a stepback cupboard, bucket bench and a blanket chest to prove it! Way to go Birdi! Have a nice hot bubble bath, some chocolate therapy and build on!!! Can't wait to see your pictures!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  09:06:24 AM  Show Profile
testing:

If you see a picture above, you code it this way: an opening bracket "[", the word "img", the closing bracket "]" Then you put the url of the picture you want to see. for instance in the picture above is http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/cheesecutter.jpg
finally, open bracket "[" the word "/img", closing bracket "]"

Remove all the quotes from the bracket and img

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com

P.S. That's a forged cheesecutter my husband blacksmiths and sells!

Edited by - MullersLaneFarm on Dec 13 2006 09:09:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  02:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Birdi,
I am sorry I missed this post before! How exciting to try something new! What an accomplishment!
Are you enjoying Christmastime on the farm?
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  08:54:01 AM  Show Profile
Cyndi - glad to see that you got the photos to post! Cool cheese cutter, too!!!

And bramble - Gabe posted some great instructions on photo posting - here's the link to them: [http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6291]. I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions about it...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic newly farmgirled story Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page