Goat Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Katherine
Lunenburg Vermont
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  07:17:13 AM  Show Profile
Well, I ordered my new chicks for this year. I have 6 Road Island Reds coming around the end of April. That gives me time to make things ready for them. I have a 55 gallon aquarium in the house that I put them in when I first get them and then they graduate to a solid wall dog crate and when they outgrow that, they go outside in the barn. So everything has to be cleaned and the crate needs to dug out of the snow bank. I can hardly wait!

Vermont Goat Girl

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2015 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Mine are coming in May. I ordered Red Laced Wyandottes, Astrolorps, Hamburgs, and Salmon Favorell. I can't think what the other breed is. I am also hatching some I couldn't get from the hatchery. I am gong to try buying some black Copper Marans off of eBay. Their feedback is 100% so I think they should be fine. I am also thinking about buying some cream leg bars and hatching them for my friend who wants the colored eggs. I also want to go to the feed store about the time my chicks get here and the eggs are hatching and get a few Americaunas. They are such a nice chicken. Also love the colored eggs. I had a white/lavender one once that laid a sandy pink egg. I loved her.

I am splitting all of these with a friend and my DIL. I have 8 hens and a rooster already. I want to have about 24-30 when the dust settles. I am going to keep more than that until I find out how many roosters I end up with. My goal would be to have 2 docile roosters and 24 hens. I have a white rooster right now that is mixed breed, very pretty and very docile. I just need one he gets along with.

Katherine, please send some snow or rain our way. In Ks it is very very dry. We didn't have hardly any moisture this winter. We need a good snow storm or have it rain for 3 days.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7017 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7017 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2015 :  1:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Katherine & Kem how exciting that you have chicks coming. Won't be long and you'll be hearing the sweet sound of their peeping.

Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2015 :  6:38:28 PM  Show Profile
I know, baby animals are just the best. I love em.
Go to Top of Page

Goat Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Katherine
Lunenburg Vermont
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  03:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kem and Sara. Greeting from, still winter here, the Great North Woods of Vermont. Thanks for the kind replies. Wow, Kem I can't believe you are getting so many chicks and such a variety of types. I might check out the feed store too. My local TS has chicks in already but I just didn't want them this early. I have one rooster now and he's not too bad. He's come at me twice. Once last year when he was starting to feel like a big boy and a couple weeks ago when a friend was helping me trim the goats feet. Guess he didn't like all the commotion and let me know it. Little bugger got me on the back of the calf. If I could send you snow I would, in fact Happy Easter, it's snowing. Makes it hard to hunt for eggs. Oh well. It will be spring soon. Have a great day ladies.

Vermont Goat Girl
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  8:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Katherine, so sorry you are having so much snow. We would love some. We did have a skiff of snow earlier this past week. Today was beautiful and we had a outside Easter egg hunt for the grandkids. Yes, I am getting quite a few different breeds of chicks, but splitting them with my DIL and friend. I can't wait to have them on the farm. At church today a couple had hatched chicks as part of the sermon. It was very cool to hear them. Made me want mine sooner. Oh well, I have a plan and I need to stick to it.
Go to Top of Page

Goat Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Katherine
Lunenburg Vermont
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  03:25:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kem. I know what you mean about having a plan. Sometimes you need to stay on task no matter how appealing it is to do otherwise. My chicks are arriving April 28. In the meantime the snow has mostly melted and the river is up but not flooding; I expected different this year with all the snow. The sun is shinning today and it is a wonderful day. Hope yours' is also. Happy Day and keep in touch.

Vermont Goat Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicks are coming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page