FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  08:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Ok so our English Shepherd puppy is now 7 months old. She just started doing something that has us all puzzled. In our living room, we have a large sectional sofa, a coffee table, 2 end tables, a tv stand and a recliner. Nothing is new in the last week, but for some reason she is terrified of the recliner. She'll walk by it but at a distance, but is someone is sitting in it, she'll cower on the sofa or hide in the bedroom as if someone just beat the crap out of her. I'm not exaggerating either. She will tuck her tail, lick her lips, shake uncontrollably and pull her ears back. This morning was a good example. My DH was sitting in the recliner and I was on the end of the sofa nearest the recliner. Allis was sitting with me - no problem. As soon as my DH looked at her and called her over to him, she got up and went to the end of the sofa furthest away, displaying all the behaviors as described. My DH got up from the recliner and moved to the sofa and laid down. She came right over to him and snuggled. I don't get it. That recliner has been in the house since she was born. It's been in the same spot in the living room as well.
Any thoughts?

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  11:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Is she mostly afraid of the recliner when it reclines? Maybe the action of the chair extending scares her. I'm curious also. Keep us posted.
Did she get hit by the chair reclining?
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  3:16:50 PM  Show Profile
That's what I was thinking too something happened to startle her and she now doesn't like it.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  4:56:26 PM  Show Profile
I also think she got spooked by it some kind of way. But, I guess it doesn't really matter what happened. What matters now is trying to help her.

Like with applied behavior analysis or behavior modification, you need to start introducing the recliner in positive situations and experiences. Try your methods slowly and with edible treats. Because of her age, do it in short amounts of time but often during the day.

Keep us posted! I pray it goes well and she's back to normal.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  5:10:25 PM  Show Profile
I had a dog get pinched in one, when it was being closed, so everytime the recliner moved, she ran out of the room in terror, it took about 8 months to get her un-afraid of that chair...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

GibsonGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Diana
Cottage Grove Oregon
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  6:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Try putting a couple of her favorite treats closer and closer to the chair until you can put them on the chair. My girl Sigred had been through a house fire before I adopted her and my house has a fireplace. I had to walk her through lighting the fireplace and coaching her to be able to be in the same room. Finally got her to be ok with it but it did take a while to do. Good luck. You might even try putting a sheet over the chair and see if she notices it or if it makes a difference.

Living life in a Grove-y way!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  7:13:25 PM  Show Profile
This morning as we were all getting ready to leave,she jumped in the chair. So my DH sat in the chair, not reclined, and she took off. When we got home she jumped in the chair again. Also she chewed the corner of the chair on the back. Guess she's going back in the crate when we leave the house.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2015 :  05:20:49 AM  Show Profile
oooops! Definitely don't want chewed furniture. I hope it all works out better.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2015 :  06:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Our recliner makes a metallic grinding noise when we recline in it. Does your chair make a sound too? Even subtle, it could hurt her ears and perhaps someone did it really loudly once and scared her. Good luck figuring out what to do about this!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  05:44:23 AM  Show Profile
This morning as we were all getting ready to leave,she jumped in the chair. So my DH sat in the chair, not reclined, and she took off. When we got home she jumped in the chair again. Also she chewed the corner of the chair on the back. Guess she's going back in the crate when we leave the house.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  12:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Very odd. From what has been said it appears that she doesn't like it when someone actually sits in the chair. She may be chewing on it because she feels it is a threat. She may sit on it to try to dominate it or to communicate something to the pack. Definitely seek some expert advice. A vet would be able to give you a referral.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Goat Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Katherine
Lunenburg Vermont
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  07:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Have you figured out the problem with the chair yet? It seems like something must have happened one time when someone was sitting in the chair. Maybe you had company and they accidentally hit her with the chair or yelled at her when she tried to get into their lap. Ask around. My GSD slipped once on a linoleum floor and after that she would not walk on any floor that looked shiny or slippery. At the vets office they would bring out a rug for her to walk on to get into the exam room. One time is all it takes and it can be something pretty simple that you haven't even thought of. Hope everything is ok.

Vermont Goat Girl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  12:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My English Shepherd can be weird about things sometimes too. They definitely associate things with past actions. Did a guest visit who sat in the chair that she didn't like?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  7:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Tina, that was my first thought. Maybe her tail was rocked upon or she was pinched in someway. I know of a rescued therapy dog that now sits tail tucked and with front paws drawn in. We believe it is habit from being accidentally ran over too many times.

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  06:33:42 AM  Show Profile
Whatever her issue was with the chair, she seems to be over it. That is, after she chewed on it a few times. She will jump in my lap without much hesitation now. Silly dog.

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  09:01:16 AM  Show Profile
They can be weird. My sister brought her dog to visit for a few weeks while I was recovering from surgery. They had been there over two weeks when the dog suddenly noticed that huge 6 point elk mount on the wall. Freaked her out! It was like the elk just stuck its head through the wall at that moment. We are still laughing about it.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  2:15:45 PM  Show Profile
That is funny. We had an elk mount in our old house and every time the dog would walk thru the dining room, he would growl. He never looked up, he just growled.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Puzzling dog behavior Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page