Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sunday Night Blues! Next Topic  

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  6:21:35 PM  Show Profile
Sunday Night Blues are hitting me hard tonight. I googled it - they're real. Anyone else suffer?

Penny
Soaper and Not So Crazy Goat Lady

Celebrating Wholesome Living in a Colorful World
www.facebook.com/444Farm
www.444Farm.com/blog

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  05:08:14 AM  Show Profile
Penny, is it anticipation of the weekend ending and going back to work that causes the Sunday night blues? There is a freedom of the weekend that feels different from the hum of the work week. Before I retired, I used to feel the blues on a Sunday night when the weather had been wonderful and I knew I was going back to a hectic pace at work. Perhaps you can start structuring something fun to look forward to on Wednesdays so that Sunday night won't seem like such a long time till the next weekend and more relaxation. I think we all need to break up the monotony of a regular week to keep our spirits high. I used to find that it also helps to wear bright and fun colors during the week as well. You have to sort of play around and find out what works with your own brain.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  06:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Penny, I haven't worked for over twenty years but I do remember Sundays nights and knowing Monday was fast approaching. I wish I knew then what I know now about handling the blues; depression in general.

I deal with MS fatigue that brings on it's own kind of depression. I have learned to first recognize what is happening to me than put several simple things into motion to stop it.

1. Count my blessings and give the Lord thanks for them.
2. Do something I enjoy along with daily chores/events.
3. Use aroma therapy to change my mood.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  06:20:24 AM  Show Profile
A few quick things:

1. Sara's #1, but expanded just a bit: do some research on the practice of gratitude. I thought "what's the big deal? I know how to be thankful." but it can get much deeper than that, and there are some great articles out there. Sometimes reading several different perspectives on things can help me fine-tune my own.

2. Combine Sara's #2 and #3 perhaps along with a few other things by creating a Sunday night ritual that puts you in a happy place. Make sure there is something you have to look forward to for that particular time. When I was working, one piece of my ritual was making something Sunday evening that was going to be a delicious but healthy breakfast for Monday to get the week off to a very good start. Mine was often "sunshine muffins" that are full of shredded carrot and pineapple bits made with some quinoa flour and a little less sugar. Was it technically cake? Yup.

I would also plan a crockpot dinner for Monday and get everything together Sunday afternoon/evening. Knowing dinner was taken care of and would be waiting when I got home from work Monday made the day a little better. Unless I forgot to plug in the crockpot Monday morning! That happened more than once....

3. Find an evening yoga/meditation thing that may improve your mood. My mind buzzes so much and jumps around like a bb in a boxcar, so I thought meditation was not something I could ever do. But I was being too strict about what defined meditation, so I was setting myself up for failure. There are some online evening yoga practices available that often include a meditation component.

Try lots of things - you have to find what works for just you.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  10:43:25 AM  Show Profile
Penny, I hope you are feeling better today. I don't have the blues, but I do have Cabin Fever. I cannot wait for the Spring. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sunday Night Blues! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page