katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  01:09:38 AM  Show Profile
So, FarmGirls, you all know how sick I have been with this yucky jaw surgery and infections, Well, I want to share a sweet experience I had lately, and the great lesson I learned:

I was feeling under the weather, ..just kind of yucky. It has been really cold and snowy, which always throws my arthritis into fits. I put my girls down to bed early with a good book, and at 7:30 last night I got in the tub for a nice soak…things never really work out the way a Mama of four plans it, and soon baby Em was crying for me. I had Eldon undress her and put her in the tub with me.

I was worn out and Emme was too. I used this safe, quiet moment to talk to her and hold her. I have been trying to wean Emme, she is 15 months old now, and this is the longest I have breastfed, but she has been so tiny….she doesn’t tolerate dairy, or soy….well excuses could go as long as my arm, but *truely* I don’t want to quit nursing because I know she is my last baby!

So we enjoyed a warm bath together and while we were snuggling she latched on to nurse. I was smelling her fine, whispy hair and she looked up at me with her huge blue eyes, she blinked them once, very slowly. She brought her tiny little hand up and rested it on my chest, right on my heart..oh! My eyes filled with tears. My heart was filled with love.

Sitting in our warm little womb of water, eyes locked, her mouth on my breast and her so tiny hand resting right on my heart…I put my hand on top of hers and just lost myselft in the moment. Children grow up so fast. It is hard to keep it all in perspective when I am so tired from too much work, not enough sleep….but in the grand scheme of things this baby time is so short! During that time in the bath tub with Emme, my heart was about to burst…I love her so much. It felt so good to be there, warm and safe. I knew I could provide everything she needs, and I could keep her safe. I wish life could just stay that way for all of my children….for every Mother’s Child.

I love times like these, when I can forget about the past, not worry what the future will bring and just allow myself to partake in NOW…How sweet it is…

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  06:13:59 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Kate! I noticed you were up late typing this post. I think it is just marvelous that in spite of your hardship; surgery, secondary infections, and the juggling act that we mothers do every single day, you are still able to find grounding in the present moment. Children are definitely our best teachers for that and you should be commended for being open to receiving and finding relief from that lesson! There is something very healing about it especially once you give in to it! I felt all warm and cozy right there with you and Em.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
You know, Aria is 3 years old now and I'm STILL nursing with her. I thought she may be my last and I let them wean themselves.. She's so not ready so no biggie..its such a comfort thing for her and a wonderful time for me to pause and be present to whatever moment is happening. Now that I'm pregnant again, well, here we go again!!!
There are many who believe that one of the biggest issues in Western culture in terms of mind-body-healing is our inability to "just be".. to be present to the moment and in the moment..to be acknowledging of our emotions, the good bad and ugly..instead we are always finishing one thing with one eye on the next thing. You, however, don't seem to be having this issue!
So here's to you..in this moment, right now! I'm celebrating you and sending you loads of light and healing!
All my love,
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  06:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
What a sweet moment! And you are right...our precious bundles grow up way too fast. One of my girls is married and the other two at college and oh, how I miss those days when they were little... So cherish every precious moment.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/BlueAppleFarm/
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  10:11:35 AM  Show Profile
Kate,

You just brought tears to my eyes. You write so eloquently about such a beautiful moment in time. Thank you for bringing me some memories and for sharing.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kate.

It's posts like this that make me waffle back to "maybe I should have kids." If I could just make up my mind! I feel like I'd be happy either way, but you paint a lovely picture.

Cheers,
Anastasia :)

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh my Kate, you made me cry! I love nursing Zoe and I cannot imagine stopping any time soon, despite the pressure I get from my MIL. She is only just one year old. She still needs me and frankly, I still need to nurse her.

It's such a tender thing. I love when she reaches up and pokes her fingers around my face and when she falls to sleep nursing....so beautiful.

Thanks for sharing that.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  7:03:14 PM  Show Profile
That is just the sweetest moment you had. Thank you for sharing, it brought tears to my eyes as well very sweet!
lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  7:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kate, I just found this...what a sweet,sweet moment indeed! I so loved the time spent nursing my babes. There is nothing like it. Their soft skin, their smell, their touch. Thanks for making me think back to this sweet time in my life!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  11:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing... I am nursing my first baby, he's now ten months. It helps me to know that other moms take their babes into the bath, and nurse longer than a year! I've tried to get to our local la leche league meeting, but each time it's conflicted with other appointments.
Baby William has certainly taught me to "embrace the now". He was our honey moon baby, and a blessing we didn't expect so soon. I had to re-arrange what I thought I was going to be doing--start nursing school, work part-time, settle in to married life. Since I had been focused on long range goals, his arrival brought me up short and made my perspective change to the immediate.
Again, thank you for reminding us to savor the beauty around us and most especially in our babies.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  11:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Kate -- thanks for sharing your sweet story. It brought tears to my eyes. What a special moment. You are a special mama!

Handmade delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Visit my blog! http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

The Clark County Farmgirls have a blog! http://thefarmgirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Embracing the NOW Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page