YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6949 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6949 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  03:50:49 AM  Show Profile
Nicole's post about corn smut got me thinking about the Three Sisters. It's the Indian way of planting corn, pole beans, and pumpkins/gourds together. The pole beans grow up the corn stalk; the pumpkins/gourds cover the ground around the corn doing double duty as food and mulch.

The only corn I've ever planted was a 4'X4' block of Indian corn. Dried it and it lasted years for fall decorations. One of these days I would like to plant a block of the Three Sisters. If I don't get it done this year there's always next year.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  05:53:35 AM  Show Profile
I used the 3 Sisters method at my old house and at the community garden plot I had last year. It is a great way to grow all 3 vegetables and makes weeding and watering much easier since they are there together. I do hope you get to try it this year. It is quite an efficient way to grow & maintain vegetables.

Gardening is just a far off dream here for us, it is in the single digits here this whole week plus we still have 6+ inches of snow left from the big storm we had two weeks ago. Keep us posted how you do!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  06:06:04 AM  Show Profile
This sounds fascinating! I've been reading some about permeaculture, and have tryng to wrap my brain around it... honestly I am struggling to do so, since I am a "do A then B then C" type person, but I find it fascinating! Perhaps when we get our homestead, we can try this!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6949 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6949 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  06:22:39 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, you are the first person I have talked with that has grown the Three Sisters. Your success has made me more determined to do it. All I need is seeds, a shovel, and energy.

Shannon, permaculture is a new one for me. Tell me a little about it.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  07:15:25 AM  Show Profile
Like I said, I am still wrapping my brain around it, but it is basically referred to as a "Farm Forest." Rather than having everything separated and in individual rows and sections, you work with nature, which in turn helps your produce grow. The idea s also to begin your planting and once it is done, you don't have to restart it over and over again. You also use your critters, if you have any, to help in the "garden." It is designed around beneficial relationships, including adding plants that are beneficial for pollinators, which in turn is beneficial for the production of your food. I guess in many ways, it is basically making an edible landscape that all in all is its own ecosystem, supply the needs for both itself and for the person planting it. And that is as far as I have gotten on my understanding, lol.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  07:30:33 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I was nervous about doing it at first and bought a book about this. Once I saw how simple it is to do I went for it. The squash keeps the weeds down, watering is simple to do since they are together and the squash acts as a mulch to keep the moisture in. All three benefit from each others nutrients and it works beautifully! The Reggenstein Vegetable Garden at the Chicago Botanical Garden has been doing this for years and I always admired it. That's what made me take the plunge & I've never looked back!

Go for it! You will be hooked as soon as all the seeds take off. First off, plant the corn. Once it is several inches tall, then do the others. The corn needs a head start so it isn't overwhelmed by the peas and squash. Thanks for the background info Shannon.

Gardening in my dreams right now!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  9:01:14 PM  Show Profile
How crazy is this! I just read about this today in one of my seed catalogs! Maybe this is providence saying to give it a go!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile
I had a "three sisters" garden plot in one of my raised beds a couple of years ago. What fun!!

We received a lot of comments by passers-by (we live in town) and our raised beds are in the front yard behind our white picket fence....so we saw quite a bit of foot traffic. Besides re-creating an historical planting method it was a great conversation piece!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6949 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6949 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Dawn & Melody, I am so happy to hear from someone that has actually grown the Three Sisters. Makes me want to do it even more. What size were your blocks of corn? How much room for the pumpkins or gourds?

Ally, I have found that when I am interested in something I start seeing it everywhere. Let us know if you do it and how it turned out for you.

Sara
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Three Sisters Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page