Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Your Favorite Yarn Shops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Your Favorite Yarn Shops Next Topic  

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  12:18:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! My name is Anna and I am the seamstress out here at the farm. I am looking to compile a giant list of yarn shops across the country to include in one of our next books and I need your help since I can't visit every single one (although I wish I could, believe me!) So, if you've got a favorite yarn shop in your little town or big city, I'd love to hear about it. Please email me the name, address, phone number, and website if there is one. Also, let me know what makes this place you've found so great! My email is anna@maryjanesfarm.org. Post to the list and share with all the farmgirls, too...I'll be checking back frequently to see what you girls are talking about!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  8:20:20 PM  Show Profile
Heindselmans in Provo, Utah (an hour and 1/2 north of me..but worth the drive) it is a really old family business and is just wonderful. They have spinning and weaving supplies upstairs, just about any yarn, book or pattern your little heart could desire, and classes too. The gals (and one man I noticed one time) who work there are really sweet and helpful. They also carry a good supply of cross stitch and needlepoint supplies and gifts...just a cute shop in an older area of town with alot of character.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  09:13:19 AM  Show Profile
I love several around here.
Laurens Wild and Wooly in Poulsbo Washington.
The Weavers Hand in Port Townsend Washington. I love this one especially because they have several women and men who raise their own sheep, goats, lammas, and rabbits, who spin and dye their own wool so I can buy naturally dyed roving in awesome colors coming from natural materials to spin for myself or I can purchase some really unique hand spun yarns by local people.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  10:45:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh, wow....those two sound really great! I found a great place in Las Vegas (Wooly Wonders, if anyone lives down that way) when I was home visiting my family last week. It was amazing, you just walk through the door out of one of the busiest cities I've ever seen into this relaxed world where people just want to sit and knit and not rush like every single other person in Las Vegas. It was great!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  4:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Anna,
At both locations there is always someone in the process of doing something like knitting. Groups come at specific times for classes and sometimes it is just the local gals wanting some company while they knit. At the Weavers Hand there is always a loom set up so if you want to try your hand at it you just sit at the loom and someone will show you how. It is a group project. The shop is a co-op of local spinners and weavers.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  11:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anna,

For Kansas I know of a couple personally. The one in Olathe is about 15 minutes away from my home, oh my! The one in Lawerence (College town) has spinning wheels too. Something I'd like to try but just how many hobbies can a girl have?

Yarn Barn
930 Massachusetts St.
Lawrence, KS 66044
(785) 842 4333
(800) 468 0035
email: info@yarnbarn-ks.com
World Wide Web: http://www.yarnbarn-ks.com

Knit-Wit
1815 S. Ridgeview
Olathe, KS 66062
(913) 780 KNIT
*no website or email
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  11:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anna,

Also, in Missouri, there are a few on this side of the state that I have visited. I especially like Urban Arts and Crafts and The Studio. UAC has many crafts represented as well as classes. The Studio has a wonderfull assortment of yarns and things a fiber addict just can't do without.

Knitcraft Inc.
215 North Main
Independence, MO 64050
(816) 461 1248
knitcraft@knitcraft.com
http://www.knitcraft.com/

The Studio Knitting and Needlepoint
1121 W. 47th St.
Kansas City, MO 64112
(816) 531-4466
info@thestudiokc.com
http://www.thestudiokc.com

Urban Arts & Crafts
507 Walnut st.
Kansas City, MO 64106
816-234-1004
urbanartsandcrafts@sbcglobal.net
http://www.urbanartsandcrafts.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  11:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello
My two favorite yarn shops are.
Reflection Farm
www.reflectionfarm.net
and
Blue Moon Farm
www.blue-moon-farm.com
The first shop has all the spinning and knitting supplies you would ever need on a beautiful sheep farm and the second one is a yarn spinning business. They are side by side in the country.I have known these ladies for years. It is a great field trip.
Blue Moon Farm's website is down right now but will be back soon
Robin In Western Washington

" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  02:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
My favorite is Kay's Nine Patch here in Chippewa Falls, WI.
She has quilting supplies and all types of yarns.
She has one of the few remaining carding machines for recarding wool batting.
Kay's Nine Patch
17 West Central Street
Chippewa Falls WI 54729
715-723-5931
Owner is Kay Hanson

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  9:25:25 PM  Show Profile
My favorite yarn shop for mail order is Yarns by Design in Neenah, Wisconsin. Lots of basics and super speedy service. A very easy website to navigate:
www.yarnsbydesign.com
As far as one to drive to, there is one on US highway 53 in a place about half way between Eau Claire and LaCrosse, Wisconsin named Beaches Corners. The yarn store is called Krista's, run by an elderly German lady. The building itself is a big old general store building and all the display cases and shelves are piled to the rafters with just about every yarn you can imagine and in huge quantities, so if you want 10 skeins of something, you can get it! Also some handspyun by a local spinner. She gives huge discounts as she doesn't advertise or have a website. So, if you're driving around western Wisconsin, you might like to try Krista's. Its a pretty drive and there are some cute small farming communities in the area.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  03:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip about Krista's, my mother loves to crochet and it would be a nice drive for the two of us.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  10:28:30 AM  Show Profile
At the moment I am only shopping in my basement "yarn pantry". When I moved into my house four years ago I actually got yarn out of sock drawers, backs of cupboards, out of closet corners, and anywhere else I had it stashed. It is all consolidated now and I'm trying to use it up but getting antsy!

Will probably put some of it up for swapping soon!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Your Favorite Yarn Shops Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page