YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  12:59:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting closer to making a decision on whether to get a couple of chickens or not for my backyard. MaryJane gave me a gentle push today when I received her magazine, and there was a article on chickens.

I really liked her choice of chickens, and the story of keeping one in her home. Not sure I am to the point of diapering a chicken, but it would solve the problem of having to tend to them in icy weather.

In the next couple of weeks a carpenter will be working around my home. Will show him several chicken coop & run plans and see how much it will cost to have them built. Cost will play a big part on whether I will have chickens.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  3:18:08 PM  Show Profile
Sara,

I absolutely love my chickens and I am sure you will as well. I live in Michigan and don't have issues with the cold weather we have been having. In fact, going out to feed and water the chickens is a pleasure and truly a breath of wonderful fresh air. I have a variety of chickens but am thinking about Icelandic chickens because of their hardiness. I have never lost a chicken to the cold weather. Even in the years that it was 21 below. I keep them in their rather rustic coop when it seems too cold. They may peak their heads out in the cold weather but go right back in when it is too cold. I have a heat lamp on each side of the coop. My coop is wrapped in tarps as it was originally a dog run and even so, the chickens to well. Good luck on this new adventure should you decide to do it. By the way...the eggs are the very best. I have half a dozen Aracouna (sp?) (also called Easter Egg and American chickens) and they lay colored eggs. No dying at Easter...fun, fun, fun.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  07:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Terralea, the way you talk about your chickens makes me want them even more. My sister has raised chickens for years and some of them are housed in a re-purposed dog run.

I looked up the breed that MaryJane has, Buff Orpingtons, on a hatchery site. Smallest number they ship is 5; my sister has agreed to take 3 if I go ahead and get chickens. She has raised this breed before, and said they do well in cold weather & Texas heat.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  08:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I think you will enjoy having chickens. Most people think they are dumb. I think they are quite smart. They adapt easily to any housing situation, so you don't need to spend a lot of money on a fancy coop. Your sister's re-purposed dog run is an excellent idea. You could probably find one used on craigslist in your area.

Check your local Tractor Supply. They always have an annual "Chick Days" where they sell a variety of pullets. That way, you're not having to order and pay a shipping fee. Plus, you can get a variety of breeds.

I like having a variety of chickens because it's such entertainment to observe the different behaviors. It's kinda like having an aquarium of different fish to look at. An aquarium of just gold fish can be kinda boring. So, I raise an assortment of breeds....Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Dominiques(Dominickers), Ameraucaunas, White Leghorns, Plymouth Rocks. I've even raised Naked Necks because they're so ugly-cute. The Buffs get broody which can be either a problem or a good thing. They'll stop laying to set on a nest which is good for me because I let my Buffs hatch eggs of my Pekin ducks which are not good setters.

Raising them from chick age is economical, even with the cost of feed. A ready to lay pullet can cost $15-$20 around here. The price has really skyrocketed. Only about 10 years ago, a pullet could be had for $5. I also could order a chick for less than a dollar. Now, some are over $3.

Here, in Texas, we really don't deal with long lasting freezing temps. So, I encourage you to not build a completely enclosed coop or shelter. We deal more with hot temps and the hens need that breeze to keep cool. All my coops have been wire enclosed/ open air. I have a small area up by the ceiling that is solid so they can roost without fear of cold or predators.

Sadly, I once had wire only sides by their roosting area and coons would reach through the wire and pull the hens' heads through and eat only the heads. It was awful!! So, I put solid wrapping around the roosting area and never had that problem again.

I will be more than glad to help design an enclosure/coop with you. I'm not an expert, but I have raised chickens for 20+ years. At times, raising more than 400 at a time to sell to feed stores. Now, I just keep a small flock of 50. I know I could help you figure something out for a backyard flock.

You're not that far from me. Maybe 4 hours? Perhaps I could partially build something here and then drive up and finish it there!

Do you want something stationary or mobile? Do you want it utilitarian or have some cute factor? Do you want to walk in? Oh, there are so many ideas!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  10:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, thanks for your generous offer and I will be calling on you for help. First I need to walk around my wee back yard, and it is a little bitty thing to see where & what will work best. Most of my yard is in shade so that is something to consider.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  11:09:44 AM  Show Profile
Sara, here's one idea. Let's say you want a 4 x 4 square raised garden bed for the summer. You can decide where you want that garden space. Then construct a coop that sits on that space for a few months.

The chickens will be protected from predators and the eggs easily accessible to you. The chickens will scratch around, they'll fertilize it, you can toss some kitchen scraps, add some shavings, etc... Then, you can move the coop to another garden bed or a permanent spot. After the natural fertilizer has aged some, you can add garden soil and plant your veggies! This size coop can house around 6 hens.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  11:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Catherine you have given me much to mull over. I'll keep you up on what I am thinking.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  7:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Just another observation I have made regarding my hens. Our bedroom is on the side of the house that the coop is. I keep my bedroom window open until late November or early December. I love the fresh air. My chickens sing sometimes. I've gotten very attuned to their voices. Early in the morning before the sun rises one or two hens will start with a rhythmic clucking. Others will chime in on a different not note and keep up their rhythm. Others do the same thing until they are all making music together. It has been so consistent that I can only describe it as their singing.

When I go out at night they also seem to purr as I approach the coop. They clearly know it is me as they only make that sound in the evening as I approach. Yes I know chickens don't purr but it is a sound deep in their throats that sounds very content and relaxed. I know when they are afraid or upset and the sounds they make at these two different times are not anything like their anxiety sounds. I cannot tell you what a pleasure this experience has been to me. Watching the chickens has been another form of meditation for me.

I buy them treats like grapes or other fruits on sale at the market and I've made arrangements with a catering service in our town to give me the leftover lettuce, fruit, etc. as a form of recycling and mulching. I share my eggs with some of the personnel (not for sale) that work there. It has been a great experience.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  05:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Terralea, I love your descriptions of your chickens. It is amazing how we get to know our animals and how they get to know us. It's like the analogy of a shepherd knowing his sheep and the sheep knowing the shepherd.

I enjoy napping outside in the farmyard. (I know, a bit weird but it is oh so relaxing). All the animals gather around me. One of my goats, Millie, likes to lay right up against me and the others gather around. The turkeys join in forming a semi-circle. Most of the chickens keep foraging but there are a couple that come lay down with the group. There's one, Tabasco, that I call my lap chicken. She literally will jump in my lap and fall asleep.

Sara, you're gonna love your 'girls' when you get them. You'll find yourself talking to them. Sometimes, it'll even seem like they're talking back!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  06:45:41 AM  Show Profile
Terralea, I agree with Catherine, your descriptions of your chickens are a delight to read.

Catherine, I can picture you napping with all your animals around.

I am a little bit closer this morning to having chickens. During the night I even came up with their names - Maudine & Claudine. Can be shortened to Maudy & Claudy.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  07:43:55 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea of napping with my animals. I've often thought that in the absence of my house I would bed down with them. I understand the logic of having a barn built with the family living upstairs and the animals being downstairs in the more rustic part of the lodging. Why not have the animals help heat your home. Other than the smell of the pig swill, I don't mind any of the animal smell. I don't have pigs by the way but I have contemplated about it.

The analogy of the shepherd and the sheep is beautiful. While words are not often enough to describe the fullness of life, they sure are wonderful to use.

Blessings to all.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  08:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Sara,

Click the link to my blog. My chickens are a year old. They have been so rewarding. There's a link inside the blog to another one I wrote about them. Start with a couple. I am sooo glad I did it.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  10:26:05 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I love that you are considering a few backyard hens and with all this great advice and support, how can it fail? Please keep us posted on how your plans go as you speak with the carpenter and read more about their care. I would love to have a few hens but we have been traveling so much I worry about getting someone reliable to care for them. But, it is on my bucket list for sure!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  2:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Sara, getting a home flock is not only fun but you get eggs too ! I have had a backyard flock for about 15 years or so and do love everything about them. It is some work but most good things do require some work. Read up on what you are interested in, the Guide to Raising Chickens by Dameron is an excellent book to have on your shelf. Have fun !

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  2:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, I checked your blog out and really enjoyed it. Hope to visit again. Your ladies sure do have a nice setup.

Winnie, hold on to your dream. Never can tell when you will hear clucking around your backyard.

My sister, Betty, the one with all the chickens, came over yesterday and we walked around my backyard with chickens in mind. There it was, right in front of us the perfect hen house. Why I hadn't thought of it before I don't know.

Built on to the back of the carport storage is a shed that faces south. It's 7' X 4'. The front has a door and double hung old pane windows. It's rough inside with a dirt floor. The previous owner used it as her garden shed, and I have been too. Garden tools & stuff can be moved into the carport storage which is mostly empty. Its door is by the gate, so it will be just as handy as the shed.

The carpenter will have to do some work on it but it was already on the do-to list. I'm excited about it. There's a shelve that Betty said was a good height and room for 2 nesting boxes. There's a wall plug so it shouldn't cost much to install an overhead light & a heat lamp.

Betty said Atwoods will be getting their baby chickens in March, so I have until than to get ready. To all of you that have been on this little adventure with me thanks for sharing your 'chicken' knowledge, stories, and for encouraging me.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  4:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Sara! That is such a perfect hen house for them and for you!! It's not too big for you to add shavings to or to clean up. You can walk in and gather eggs. I am so happy for you!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2015 :  05:07:45 AM  Show Profile
Tammyb, I like what you said "It is some work but most good things do require some work". Thanks for the name of the book.

Catherine, thanks for reminding me about covering the floor with something. What kind of shavings do you use? I have learned a lot from you and I will from time to time call on you for more advice & help.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  1:25:40 PM  Show Profile
The carpenter that turn my garden shed into a chicken house came by today to see what I wanted for a chicken pen. He made some suggestions and we came up with a 8'X8' pen. Walk in height at front sloping to 4ft in back. Don't know how he is going to do it but he has built pens before and seems to know what he is doing. He will check on wire prices, etc. and hopefully he will do it later this week or next week.

Chickens are in at two places in town and my sister Betty is bringing me one of her small cages and a heat lamp the next time she comes to town. Should have my chickens by next week or the week after.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  2:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Sara
I can tell you are so excited with your new venture!
One thing you may want to consider is getting 3 hens instead of 2. Just in case something happens to one, the other won't be alone.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  2:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, my sister told me the same thing so I am getting three. I am excited but a little scare too. I've never raised chickens so it's all new to me.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  6:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Sara,

I'm so excited for you! Keep us posted! You will love them!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  04:45:04 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, I think I am more excited about it this morning than I was last night.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  09:19:12 AM  Show Profile
We have 4 Buffs. they are so cool. They even let the dog wander with them. They lay beautiful and yummy eggs. They talk so sweetly when we go out to visit them. Go to your local feed store and get just 2 if that's all you want----you may end up with more as time goes on. LOL
MaryBeth

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  2:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Chickens are here!

When my sister, Betty, and I got to Atwoods this morning all the pullet bins were empty. Yesterday the high school ag department had cleaned them out. While we were talking with the clerk another man came up with a new delivery. Just 3 day old chicks.

We waited for him to un-pack, feed, & water the new arrivals. I selected 3 Gold Sex Link. Maude, Claude, and Mo'dean are cozy under their light, in their cage, in my laundry room. Warm and well fed they are chirping away.

The cage is in front of a south facing window so on sunny days they will be in the sunshine. I held Maggie up to see & smell the chicks. I want her to know they are her chicks too, and hopefully they will be friends in the backyard.

Sara

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  4:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara, You will love your chickens. I have 8 hens and a rooster name Prince. I love to go out and talk to them and feed them scraps. I am getting some more rare and exotics this year along with a pair of peacocks. It is so peaceful to watch the birds scratch and peck in the barnyard. We have 3 dogs that watch over them and keep predators at bay. I am grateful everyone here lives in harmony.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  12:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Maggie, my little dog, and the chicks are bonding beautifully. Once a day I take one chick out of their cage, and hold it while Maggie licks it all over, and the chick pecks her on the nose. Hopefully I get a different chick each time. I see a little difference in them, but not enough to tell them apart yet.

Will I ever be able to tell them apart?

Sara

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Backyard Chickens Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page