YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2016 :  06:13:49 AM  Show Profile
It happened so fast ~~~ I had just turned my back and when I turned around Annie was in the little red barn chicken coop with the girls. Somehow she managed to push open the screen door and wedge herself between the screen wall and roosting perch. She looked stunned ~~~like how in the *** did I get here. Annie on one side of the perch and Claude, Maude, and Mo'Dean on the other side.

It took a few minutes before Annie would or could listen to me ~~~ she just stood there ~~~eyes straight ahead. You see she filled up that half of the screened in part of the coop. There was an inch between her nose or tail and the screen wall. Annie's a big dog and it's a little coop. All the while the girls were talking amongst themselves but not flustered at all. I finally managed to get her to turn around in the tight space so she could go through the door.

Annie went out the door with the girls right behind her. They seem to have no fear of her but they should. Though Annie only wants to play with them she still doesn't get it that you don't grab chickens by the back of their necks.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2016 :  05:12:28 AM  Show Profile
Thankfully, Annie did not hurt them! I guess she was just too curious to not check out where these feathered friends live! LOL!! I am glad all is well at Yellow Cottage Estates!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2016 :  05:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, it was one of those times when I should of had a camera. Annie took up 1/2 of the screened in area. She got in the next day too. Hopefully I've fixed that problem.

Other than her not leaving the girls alone Annie is coming along quite nicely. She's house broken, only jumps on people when she's excited and we're working on that daily. She's a great watch dog and hears things outside that I don't. That's what I wanted a protector and companion.

The other day I was feel especially bad and spent most of the day in my rocker with Annie in my lap ~ front half in my lap and her backside beside me. I couldn't move that day without her right at my side. She senses when I'm not having a good day and does her best to look after me.

This coming week I'll take her to the vet to be fixed. Not looking forward to her having pain even if it is necessary.

While I have been writing this a squirrel tried to make off with the chicken's ear of corn but the girls ran him off. It was almost like watching a cartoon - squirrel dragging a ear of corn bigger than him with chickens running after him. I can sit at my computer table and see all kinds of wonderful and funny things outside my window.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2016 :  11:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I am delighted to hear about how your sweet Annie is looking after you!! That is so heart warming to hear and I am glad she is learning all the necessary things about good behavior too.

Hahahahaha, that image of the squirrel and the chickens is priceless!! Wonderful story and I am sitting here laughing at the image myself!!

Like I said, good things are happening at the Yellow Cottage Estates this Summer!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sara,
Isn't is nice to have Annie's sensitivity to how you're feeling? Glad you have her care and companionship!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. Love hearing about all the chicken related activities going on there!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:41:50 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay I had to give my girls to my sister because I couldn't handle them and Annie. They went to Betty's after we bought Annie home from the vet to have her spade. As we carried the chickens to the pickup one chicken squirted on me and another one on my sister as to say "I'll go but I'll leave you something to remember me by. Betty said the girls were doing okay in with the white leghorns.

Annie is recovering from her surgery but I think she misses the chickens. By the way she weighed in at 38lbs. She's on her way to being a big girl by the time she's a year old.

We did have a little bit of excitement the evening before Annie went to the vet. She killed a baby opossum under the deck. I wonder where the mama and other 8 or so babies are.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to hear you had to give up your chickens Sara, but I understand. I don't have any either by choice. Growing up on the farm we had about 150 laying hens and my younger sister and I had to gather eggs, twice daily, wash them and help my mom prepare then for her two egg routes every week. UGH! We disliked that intensely!
My hubby and I had a few for a while when we moved back to Colorado but haven't had them for some time. We have sooooo many predators that I just don't want to deal with that.
We have two neighbors that have chickens and get eggs from either of them . . . that works for me!
CJ

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Annie in the Chicken Coop Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page