Page: of 5

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  4:23:36 PM  Show Profile
We have 6 Buff Or and in an effort to distinguish them, we bought those little plastic rings to go around their legs. Their "bracelets" help us keep their names straight! The only one that doesn't have a bracelet is the one we call "Rooster Cogburn" because we are starting to think she is a he....

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  5:16:23 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea Ally to purchase those little plastic rings. I hadn't thought of that. We have 3 Barred Rock, Voldemort, Rosa Park and Doppler, a tad difficult to tell apart unless you look at their legs! lol Will look for those!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://musingaboutthisandthat.blogspot.com/
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2015 :  02:37:20 AM  Show Profile
Ally, thanks for the hint on the rings. Where did you find them?

Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  11:13:15 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful news, welcome to the world of chickens and all that entails. FYI - when I need a small amount, anything less than a "standard" order from the hatchery, I go to my feed store, tell them what I need and they include my "little order" in their big order, so I don't have to overbuy chicks/ducklings/goslings just to get the few I want. April 10th I will be picking up 6 mallard duckies, instead of a full order and the first week of June, I will pick up 6 guinea keets instead of a full order of 25. Not only do I knot have too many babies, but there are no extra shipping charges for "small orders"

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  06:27:36 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, that's good to know.

It's a 3-ring circus in the chick's cage this morning. Gave them a little bit of parsley, rosemary, and fennel. One chick ran with the sprig of fennel and the other two wanted it. Around & around the cage they went. Never knew how entertaining chickens could be.

Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  06:29:00 AM  Show Profile
Around here we call that "chick-o-vision"

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  07:05:56 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, Local feed stores are the best. Ours will do the same. It's so important to shop local when eve possible.

Sara, I too find chickens so entertaining. In the summer time we sit outside and watch them go. But there's something about chicks that just makes it cuter!

Lisa, love the term "chick-0-vision" that is funny!

Keep well! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  09:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Dandelions are spouting all over my yard. They never have been a problem for me. I like a few of the leaves mixed with other cooked greens. Too bitter for a whole mess of them by themselves.

This year I am adding them to my chicks diet. They attacked the dandelion flower I gave them, and it was eaten in seconds. No need to other them more at a time because they all want the samething.

Have a blessed day, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14

Go to Top of Page

SlowQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Gina
West Palm Beach Florida
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  11:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your little flock Sara!

I would love to see pictures of your new babies. We got our hens last year in June and they are so amazing. Each one has it's own personality. We had the most fun trying to determine if we had all hens. When we got them from our local feed store we were told there was a 90% chance we would get hens. Lucky for us they are all girls, but what fun trying to guess as they were growing.
We have 2 Black Australorps, 2 Gold Lace Wyandottes and 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks.
Here's a photo from when they were still little, and we were not yet sure what we had, they were so cutie!

"If you think you're too small to make a difference in the world, try spending a night in a tent with a mosquito."
Farmgirl Sister #6227
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  11:28:23 AM  Show Profile
What precious little ones. I know they grew up to be quite the ladies.

I can't believe I'm so attached to my three. I don't care if they never lay an egg ~~~ they got a home with me forever.

Have a blessed day, Sara

Go to Top of Page

SlowQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Gina
West Palm Beach Florida
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  12:29:35 PM  Show Profile
They will lay eggs Sara and it is so amazing when they do! That singing one of the other sister's described, it's also called the 'egg song' and those girls will sing the egg song when they are ready to lay, if one of their sister's is ready to lay, if somebody just laid an egg and even if they are thinking about laying eggs. They really are amazing little creatures and I'm so happy for you!
In addition to all of the wonderful critter support you will find here, I have often referred to another site www.backyardchickens.com which has an entire community devoted to those plucky little birds and has an endless wealth of information.

"If you think you're too small to make a difference in the world, try spending a night in a tent with a mosquito."
Farmgirl Sister #6227
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  08:00:41 AM  Show Profile
Tomorrow I will have had my chicks for a month. Hard to remember life without them. This morning we took a small step for chicks and a big step for me.

I closed the laundry room doors that go to my bathroom and the kitchen. Took one of the chicks out of their cage and let it loose on the floor next to Maggie. The chick got as close to Maggie as she could and settled down. Didn't move a feather. Maggie stayed quiet too. The two just sat there. I picked the chick up and put her back in her cage.

As for Maggie for being such a good dog she got a little piece of raw potato that I was cutting up for soup.

Have a blessed day, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  09:22:13 AM  Show Profile
This morning while the sun was shinning I put the chicks in the backyard. Took them out one by one. Maggie stayed with them for a few minutes than lost interest. They were outside for about 30 minutes before I gathered them up one by one and put them back into their cage. It's overcast now but if it clears off this afternoon I will let them outside for a little while.

Hopefully the weather will be sunny next week so the pen can be built.

Have a blessed day, Sara

Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  9:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Chickens are just great! Ours have settled nicely into their coop and run! And they greet me when I come outside! And very funny! You'll find yourself just watching them, like "Chicken TV!!" Much more entertaining! I got the bracelets at our local farm store. You may want to ask because I just happened upon them. They were in a completely random place....

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  10:25:18 AM  Show Profile
Best laid plans of FarmGirls & chickens.....

The man that was going to build my chicken pen called and said he couldn't do it. So on to plan B....

This morning my sister, Betty, and I went to Atwoods and I bought the Red Barn chicken coop & pen. Big enough for my 3 chicks. Betty's husband has volunteered to put it together.

My mind is awhirl with landscaping ideas for the Red Barn. I will be able to see it from my kitchen window.

When the chicks are in their new home I will decide when I will move all my garden things back into their old home.

Have a blessed day, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  1:42:42 PM  Show Profile
Chickens are such a love. My neighbor has 10 right next to our house. Since we don't have any now I just love it. Enjoy the girls.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  2:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Gina, a tad late here but .... you're chicks are so cute! To cold where I live right now to purchase chicks. It has been a cold winter and a cold spring. Will visit my local feed store to see what they have in stock.

Thank you for sharing pictures!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  05:56:02 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the adventure! Chickens are awesome. We have about 25 free range hens and a couple roosters. (plus meat birds) Who needs television??

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  09:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Shooing cats and protecting the flock:

This morning I had breakfast and read my Bible under the big oak tree in the back yard. The chicks were free ranging and a large stray black cat stalked them along the fence in my neighbors backyard. I yelled at him - he ran off - came back from a different direction - and I shooed him off again. It went on for a couple of more times before he got the idea though hunting is in his DNA, protecting is in mine.

The chicks are still free ranging and I keep an eye on them. They so like playing like big chickens with all their scratching and fluttering of their wings.

Have a blessed day, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  2:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara, I am so happy that your new chickens are doing well and you are enjoying them, while, (ahem, shooing off the neighbors cat!! It has been fun reading all about your plans and your new flock. I am looking forward to when you post that they have given you eggs!! My that cooked egg will be special in every way!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  4:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, what's so funny about the whole thing is that most months I don't use a dozen eggs. I'm not a baker and seldom eat eggs, so I will have eggs to share. The chicks will have to earn their keep by keeping me entertained.

Have a blessed day, Sara

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  4:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Sara
Think barter.. Trade those awesome eggs for something else you may want. We do that all the time.
Of course, my mom gets a large part of our output. She LOVES eggs, and has 2 soft boiled every morning. At 85 YO, she told me if her doc ever told her to give them up... well, let's just say, some 4 letter words would fly!
I told her we will bury her with an egg in her mouth. She approves.. LOL

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  08:56:51 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I hadn't considered bartering. Let's see 3 chickens laying 1 egg each a couple times a week. Wonder what I could get for 1/2 dozen eggs. The possibilities are endless.

Have a blessed day, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2015 :  07:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Quiet time on the deck. The 3 chicks are napping and a foot or so away Maggie is soaking up the sun and dozing. So happy that they are all getting along.

Have a blessed day, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6995 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6995 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  2:03:30 PM  Show Profile
The neighbor's pit bull is loose and I can't get anyone to come to their door. He works nights and she is at work. My chicks are out so I am keeping a close watch on them. I better get off here and check on them. Last time I saw them they were sleeping on the deck.

I'm afraid of pit bulls and don't like one loose so close. If I had his cell I would wake him up but I don't. I usually put the chicks up by six so I don't have long to go.

I really don't understand why people choose to have pit bulls when they live so close to other people.

Have a blessed day, Sara

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Backyard Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page