Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  06:14:25 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane wrote about where one can find American made clothespins in her Feb-Mar 2014 issue. Turns out, Herrick Kimball, makes and sells beautiful handcrafted clothespins on line. Check out his blog at classicamericanclothespins.blogspot.com for all the information and details. You can also learn more from MaryJanes latest Feb-Mar 2015 magazine that is currently out on pages 54-57. If you haven't received your copy, you won't want to miss it. I read it cover to cover twice just to make sure I didn't miss any of the wonderful memories!!

I got my first clothesline up last spring and purchased the regular clothespins that are available. They are wimpy when it comes to holding heavy items and they do snap and break easily. Then I remembered MaryJane posting about Mr. Kimball's business and checked out his site. At the time, he was all out of clothespins but promised some this fall. So, I signed up for the newsletter so I would know when they were available. As of December 1, they were on sale and I ordered the factory seconds that you assemble yourself.

I put them aside until after the holidays and yesterday I opened the box and followed the directions. Easy Peasy! Voila! 25 beautiful strong and big clothespins!!

Here is a photo with the American made on the top beside the ones from China on the bottom. You can see that Mr.Kimballs clothespins are larger, sturdier and the spring is bigger and heavier. They are made from American Ash wood for their durability and beauty.

I have a feeling that these clothespins are going to outlast me! Who knows, one day, they might end up in some thrift store and be gladly scooped up for more years on a clothesline!

Does anyone else have some American made clothespins? If you do, where did you find yours and what do they look like? I would love to see and learn what others have. And I would love to find some real vintage ones like MaryJane shows in her magazine. Talk about treasures!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  06:36:14 AM  Show Profile
Great info, Winnie. Thanks!

I've hung most of our laundry for 20+ years. I hate it when I pinch a clothespin and it snaps apart and falls to the ground. Ugh! I am definitely going to check these out and order some.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  06:53:41 AM  Show Profile
Well, he's sold out. Sad for me but great for him! I'm so happy that the word got out and people purchases the clothespins. I'm gonna keep watching his blog and order them as soon as more are available.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic American Made clothespins! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page