melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  2:55:38 PM  Show Profile

Here we go! They are calling for 40-below wind chill factors. The sky this evening was violet and pink-breathtaking...

Melody

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  3:37:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy! Bundle up! We are expecting colder temps too. At least we've made it this far without too much snow or ice. Last year was horrid!

Stay warm!

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  3:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Stay Warm Mel and Nicole. It is -23 right now air temp, -46 with wind chill. I just came in from checking on the outside critters. Took out fresh water and turned up the heated dog Bed we keep in the barn for the outside cats and added another heat lamp for the coop. Everyone should be all snuggled in now. I have a good stack of wood, a great book and a pot of chowder simmering so I am set for the night too.

Warm hugs,
Jule

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  3:55:58 PM  Show Profile
It's cold here but not like you Northerners.At least the wind isn't blowing. The sunset was nice and there were wispy clouds blowing across the full moon. Stay warm and keep those animals warm.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  4:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh Melody, I hope that they are wrong. Stay warm and safe!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  4:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Gee, I consider myself as living in the north but it was in the 60's here in NJ today. I was outside with just a sweater. It was raining yesterday so a bit muddy but I should be thankful the cold weather is holding off. Stay safe and warm girls in those colder places. Spring is on the way!

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  6:29:46 PM  Show Profile
They are already canceling schools in the area...my kids are both on college break right now but work part-time during the day. This kind of cold is so hard on everyone and everything-Sometimes, it's hard to imagine how cold 45-below can be.

Julie----I hear ya about the wood-We have an improvised "ark" I bought many years ago which is the size of a very large half moon inside woodbox that rests next to the "napoleon" wood stove and holds a LOT of wood-a good book is perfect for evenings such as this and of course being a down east gal myself ....chowder sounds incredible right about now! You have everything in hand just like a good Pioneer Lady! Keep warm dear friend-Thinking of you.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  7:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh Yikes! Melody, stay warm..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  06:57:59 AM  Show Profile
It is pretty darn cold here in the Chicago area. The wind chills showed up after our snow finished yesterday. The sun is shining, but it is quite a wake up call going out the door. Time to bundle up and bring in the brass monkeys!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  08:12:00 AM  Show Profile
Pipes in the kitchen are frozen....Sheesh!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  08:35:26 AM  Show Profile
Frozen pipes are no fun. Stay warm girls! It's raining here. Do I dare complain about the mud?

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  09:37:22 AM  Show Profile
It is chillllllly here in Wisconsin. The car did not want to start this morning and I have a 45 minute drive to work- by the time I got to the office, it started to get warm!! Tomorrow is suppose to colder-going home after work to make chicken noodle soup! Yum!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  09:50:12 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane and no don't complain about the mud!!! You are too funny....

Temps are going to get worse overnight ---they are calling for 50-below wind chill.

You know over the past couple of nights I've noticed it sounds different when it's colder-everything seems magnified-our old Victorian is creaking and popping late at night. Can you imagine living in temps like this year round?

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  11:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Here in Minnesota we are getting the same below zero shocks. But, it is no surprise. It is winter in the northland after all. Gotta go put on another layer.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  4:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Take care all of you in the extreme cold areas!! I can only imagine how hard it is for all of the critters, both 4 legged and 2 legged! Brrrrrrr!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  06:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Today we are getting a brief respite. It is only -8 below right now and supposed to get above zero this afternoon. I will be bustling about getting extra outside chores done as they are calling for -50 to -60 below tonight and tomorrow with the wind chill. I need to replenish the cookie jar, but that sounds like a perfect chore for a colder day. I hear ya on old houses Mel, those walls just are not insulated enough to keep the pipes from freezing. We are letting the water drip at night just to prevent that. Did you get the thawed out.

Mary Jane I would love to have to wear my muck boots instead of my arctic chore boots and long johns, are you enjoying your vacation?

Hugs
Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Well this morning we have cold water coming from the tap-The hot is not available. Nothing that we can't remedy-We've been thawing out in this old boat of a house for over 20-years-it's become routine --a pain----but routine. This time last year we were in a deep freeze for many many weeks-City advised letting the taps "drip" by spring notices were given that water rates would be increased.

Cannot wait for the cold snap to pass-At lease it isn't like it was last year.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  1:59:19 PM  Show Profile
Just a warning to everyone in frigid weather. Frostbite is real. You can lose body parts. We have many cases here in Minnesota. Dress in layers and as the paper said this morning, keeping warm might just keep away a cold. Stay warm and be safe.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  2:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh my GOSH is it frigid here today! Right now it's 18 degrees, snowing and the temps are falling. Even a nice hot cup of tea isn't cutting it. I think I'm going to bump up the heat for a little while now and turn it down again at bedtime!

'SO sorry to hear about the frozen pipes issues! I feel for you! I really, really do!

Stay warm and safe girls. I started to think the cold winter predictions were a fairy tale, but as of today, I'm dreading what's to come!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3931 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3931 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  3:34:30 PM  Show Profile
School has been called off in Minneapolis because of the cold. YAY! A whole day to craft and bake.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  4:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Here in Indiana we are going into the deep freeze also, not as bad as soon of you, it is just hard to keep everything going, the wood furnace is eating wood like crazy! Stay safe and warm ladies, Melody this is a good time for weaving!

Roxanna Farmgirl# 3963
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  5:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Just what I've been doing Roxanna!

Bruce is adding some weight to my beater bar as I write this.My first rag rug is coming along nicely-I sit in my sunny front room with the drapes pulled wide with the Bose on and NPR cranked up. I sit on my handcrafted weaving bench (Bruce again!) weave and think.....

Keep warm tonight ladies!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  7:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Sounds wonderful, I am rounding up old jeans, stay warm!

Roxanna Farmgirl# 3963
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  05:55:26 AM  Show Profile
It is -22 here in the Chicago area this morning. Schools are canceled because of the cold. We can't complain, I see Windy Pines in northwestern WI has -38!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Frigid Temps on our way Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page