melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  4:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Is there flu where you are cause its HERE!

Both in-laws in the past two days ended up in the ER very sick-diagnosed with influenza and, they had their shots.

Our hospital is at capacity today and my husband who took his parents to the ER with his brothers spent the entire afternoon in the ER surrounded by a lot of very sick people.

I am dreading this.

Do you have flu where you live? Any good advice regarding prevention and treatment?

This is some scary stuff....

Melody

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  5:41:01 PM  Show Profile
We have a HUGE church gathering tomorrow (new potential pastor), and I am a bit paranoid. I have NOT nor ever had a flu shot. I am ingesting and putting on my feet Thieves oil. If you are not familiar, here is a bit of history of this oil.
http://www.secretofthieves.com/four-thieves-vinegar.cfm
There are several essential oil companies that have similar products; I use Young Living, but I have even seen recipes for this same oil.
I don't know if this works or not, but KNOCK ON WOOD!!! Hubs and I have never had a flu.
That, and vita C, elderberry syrup, and the grace of God!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  6:04:54 PM  Show Profile
We do, too. Oh my gosh. Everywhere. I am trying to avoid going out in public as much as possible. At Mass tonight, all the people around us were coughing and sneezing... I thought, "Oh my gosh, what am I going to do when it's time to share the peace?!" I leaned over and told my son just to nod politely and wave instead. The guy in front of me gradually became a hot mess as Mass progressed, so I just did what I told my son to do, then told him I hope he gets better soon. I thought the guy was going to cry - he was very appreciative. He did NOT feel well, and he sure didn't come in looking that bad!!! It hit him really fast! Eghads! SO, I'm armed here with holy basil tea, echinacea tea, elderberry tea, a licorice based throat soothing tea, chamomile tea, lots of fresh ginger, honey, garlic, lemon, vitamin C, lots of homemade chicken soup and a whole host of other herbal teas to help fight whatever symptom may come. And Lysol. I know - but I LOVE Lysol during flu season. I know it's not exactly green, and probably not the healthiest thing on my shelf; but right now, if it's going to help kill germs, I'm in! (If anyone has a better alternative, I'd love to hear about it!) And I'll be using a light bleach spray on the counters, in the bathrooms, and on doorknobs, etc. You do what you can and hope for the best, right? Oh! And I'm going to have to dig out the vaporizer, too. Moist air is very important for your lungs and sinuses! And I am going to have to make some homemade popsicles tomorrow, too. SO good on the throat! And please, girls, don't discount the benefits of a nice hot soak in the tub (even toss in a little bit of Epsom salts). Just be sure to have lots of fluffy towels and a nice cozy bathrobe to wrap in when you come out!

Lisa - Thank you for the link about the Thieves oil... I am pretty sure you've mentioned it in the past, but I had forgotten. I'll check it out as soon as the game is over! :)

Take care girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  6:47:10 PM  Show Profile
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why people go out to public places when they are SICK, i.e., the market, church, any and all other places...my Moma is a ICU/CCU charge nurse, and told me that the standard flu shot does not work for that real bad creeping crud flu that is going around, and has killed a bunch of kids, elderly and people with comprimised immune systems, as for myself and immediate family, none of us have ever had a flu shot and won't for alot of reasons...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  9:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
We have it at the nursing home I work at it is terrible, thank goodness I haven't gotten Abe brought it home to my family, and yes the flu shots are not working for this influenza.

Roxanna Farmgirl# 3963
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  9:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I meant to say I haven't gotten it and brought it home to my family

Roxanna Farmgirl# 3963
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  04:32:04 AM  Show Profile
My hubby and I have started drinking a "tonic" when we are around people that are sick or we feel we are starting to get something... It has echinacea, Eleuthera root (I leave that one out due to being pregnant), elder flowers,, cayenne pepper (hence why the kids will not drink it), ginger, and peppermint tea to help cover up the rest of the favors..... Oh and raw honey. It is a little "warm" going down, but it knocks out whatever we had started to come down with! We had the flu before Rhanksgiving and it was BAD! It lasted about two weeks with all of us sick, and about another two to three weeks to get our energy back up!

For my kids, I have an elderberry syrup that I make with lots of herbs, includi echinacea, Eleuthera, licorice root, elecampane root, cinnamon bark, ginger, elder flowers, and raw honey.

Hope everyone stays healthy!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  08:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Guess what... I woke up with a rip-roaring sore throat. Helloooo flu season.... Time to make some teas!

Tina... I know what you mean. I used to get really upset when this girl in the office where I worked would come in sick as a dog on a regular basis. It never failed - we always contracted whatever she had. And she always got her flu shot, which is the remarkable thing. One day I gently asked her why she didn't just stay home for a day or two to give herself time to heal. She replied that she just couldn't afford it. She had six mouths to feed, bills to pay, ALL this responsibility. One day out of work would be a killer for her budget, if the flu itself didn't kill her. I had never realized what it must have meant to her when she became ill. How awful that must've been. She'd be soooo sick, just plugging away at her desk. And here I was feeling sorry for myself. After that, whenever she got sick, I'd bring her some chicken soup, hand sanitizer and Kleenex. I felt so bad for her. She didn't have the luxury of a helpmeet or a support system to fill in for her. Imagine how after a long day of being sick at work she had no choice BUT to run those errands, pick up her kids and bring them to their activities, do the chores and cooking, etc. But she did it. She did it all. God bless her. As far as Church goes, though, that's another matter. Personally, I think God understands when you're just too plowed under to attend, but some people just don't see it that way. It's just a matter of faith, I suppose, whether you attend while sick OR healthy! ;)

Shannon - I've never warmed honey before taking it. I'm going to have to try that this morning, for sure! Thank you for the recommendation!

Stay healthy, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  4:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Melody, I hope that your in-laws are feeling better and that the rest of your family stays healthy.
The flu isn't really bad out here (not yet anyway)

Teaching Sunday School, I just could not understand why parents would force their children to come to church when they were sick. "It's allergies!", uummm, no. The poor kids are barely being able to stay awake let alone pay attention, not to mention exposing everyone else at church. Not fun.

Stay healthy girls!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Flu! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page