CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  9:27:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm not a true traditionalist when it comes to making miso soup. I start with a powder soup stock because making the traditional soup stock from scratch needs bonito (dried tuna) flakes, and I usually don't have any. If you can find the book "Seductions of Rice" by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid, it has detailed instructions how to make 3 types of Japanese soup stocks, and ways to use it. If you want, I can also post the traditional recipe.

I first heat up the instant dashi (soup stock) and add maybe just tofu cubes and wakame seaweed, or maybe I'll go the green beans and potato route. Other people I know put in things like spinach or kale, but it's not something I grew up with. Once the items in the soup is cooked, you take it off the heat and then add miso to taste. I prefer the darker type of miso because I think it has a better taste. The lighter the miso, the less salty and less concentrated the taste. Stir the miso into the soup so that it dissolves, and serve it sprinkled with a bit of finely chopped green onion. Don't boil the soup after the miso has been added. Miso has a lot of nutrients and good bacteria that will be destroyed if exposed to a lot of heat.

I hope that helps! Cat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Comfort foods Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page