therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  11:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and milk gravy!!! Then take a slice of bread, tear it in little pieces, and put the gravy over the bread -- YUM!!!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  11:37:41 AM  Show Profile
Now thats my kinda comfort food Kay!!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  3:01:09 PM  Show Profile
M-m-m-m-m, it all sounds good! A favorite thing I remember my mom making and now I do, too, is homemade vegetable soup. I don't know how to fix soup or chili in anything smaller than a canner - even now when there's no one home except me! :o) And then a nice warm fresh loaf of bread spread with butter - not margarine. I could eat that everyday of the week - and sometimes I do! Usually when I make so much soup it goes in the freezer in ziplock bags so when the kids come home they can take some home cooking back with them.

My grandmother used to fix certain foods on certain days. Friday was always fried fish that grandpa had caught with speghetti, Saturday was chili and Sunday morning was fried eggs and for those who wanted it, they put leftover chili over their eggs. Sunday dinner was always roast beef, potatoes and carrots. Those are very fond memories, we always knew what we would be eating when we went to Grandmas depending on which day we went.

It's amazing how many memories are kept alive just by sights and scents in the kitchen. I love the kitchen and making memories for our children. We now have twin grandsons, only 17 months old, but that is where I want to create memories for them, too. IN today's technological world, I hope to show them that there is more to life than TV and computers. We planted two cherry tomato plants on the edge of the garden just for them. They love cherry tomatoes and I can't wait to watch them pick their favorite and eat it standing in the garden. What a fun way for them to discover where their favorites come from - Grandma's garden! :o)

I love the idea of a cookbook, I've always got room to add another one to the collection! How fun it will be to know it is a collection of recipes from dear friends with kindred hearts.

Have a blessed day.

In His hands,
Lynda
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  10:17:35 PM  Show Profile
We had a major comfort food supper tonight -- fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, and milk gravy!!! And after I was done eating my food I had to have the piece of bread with gravy on it for the ending to a perfect meal. Then chocolate pudding for dessert!! YUM!

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  07:06:10 AM  Show Profile
You're making me hungry, Kay!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  08:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Ham & potato casserole, and Chicken pot pie are my two favorite "comfort home" foods.

Now what makes me at home (for my home, not associated with growing up) Oatmeal or chocolate chip cookies are a must once a month - and fresh bread once a week. :)

Now y'all are really making me miss my kitchen. :.(
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  03:16:26 AM  Show Profile
I haven't heard of sweet and sour cabbage, so not sure how it is supposed to be. I have printed out the one on cooks.com. Sounds interesting, thanks.

I like apple crumble.
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  06:02:54 AM  Show Profile
my mom would make porcupine meatballs-hamburger, rice and spices-cover them with a tomato gravy; mashed potatoes, corn and hot rolls.
and then Black Oil Cake with chocolate frosting-a zillion carbs but oh, so good.

love the cookbook idea.

floralsaucer-what is apple crumble?

talk to you soon.
karen

living' large in MO
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  06:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Well, I thought it was like a crisp, but I have since made a crisp and it isn't. Similar idea though.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/Recipes/recipe_apple-crumble.asp

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  10:33:33 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, FloralSaucer. I post lots of recipes on this board, but I think my mother would murder me if I gave this one away.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  5:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Uh guys.. what is Black Oil Cake? Puts me in mind of oil derrricks and oil spills or perhaps the Beverly Hillbillies "then one day he was shooting some food and up through the ground came a bubbling crude...Oil that is Black Gold, Texas T!"
In the words of Ricky Riccardo " LUCY, you got some splainin to do!"
(Forgive my adled brain I was in the sun all day!)But WHAT THE HECK IS IT?!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  6:13:36 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, you are hilarious! I have never heard of black oil cake either, but to me it made me think of Elvis' hairdo!
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  6:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie--- Let's just hope it's not " a hunka hunka burnin cake"!
You are quite funny yourself Ms JP Bluesky!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  8:02:00 PM  Show Profile
or the concrete on my driveway and all the leaky farm trucks...

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  9:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Apple Crumble

1 cup self-raising flour, 3/4 cp coconut, 1/2 cup sugar. 2 tabs butter. Rub butter into dry ingredients. Put onto top of apple sauce/stewed apple and bake.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  07:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Some of the foods you've mentioned and one my granpa liked to eat......

crumbled up cornbread in a glass of buttermilk. I prefer regular milk.
Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  10:08:42 AM  Show Profile
My grandpa ate the same thing..yuck...
okay..what is chocolate gravy???

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  10:32:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh YUK!! My grandpa used to eat that too. And it came from when they were living through the depression. Sometimes that's all they had to eat for supper. My grandpa also used to eat raw hamburger on crackers while drinking a bottle of beer!

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  5:34:19 PM  Show Profile
ok-black oil cake is just a really, really chocolate cake with oil in it instead of shortening or butter! really rich but really worth it!

printed off the comments though and showed my mom-she's been kind of depressed but you girls made her laugh!

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  7:59:23 PM  Show Profile
Chocolate Gravy is just that........Chocolate Gravy. You just use cocoa and sugar with a regular base. It's yummy over hot buttered biscuits.

Make a roux of flour and butter then add 2tbsp cocoa and 1/4 c sugar (adjust up or down to taste). Add milk and cook until thickened.

Nummy.

and hey I don't think the cornbread/milk mix is so bad as long as you eat it before it's TO soggy.

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  8:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Karen, Glad a Kansas Driveway oil slick made your Mom chuckle!!! I sure do have the greasy "black oil" on the drive! Texas Tea!!!!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:17:35 PM  Show Profile
My Mother was a great cook and when we were sick, she would make home made potato soup. I did the same for my children and now I am doing the same for my grandchildren.

Another comfort food when ill, dry toast and tea with sugar and cream. It just seemed to hit the spot.

My Mother lived long enough to fix her soup for my children and now that she has passed away, they say, "yours is real good, but not as good as maw-maw's, however, they deep coming back for more.

Linda H.-
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  4:55:57 PM  Show Profile
Homestyle comfort food, eh? My take on it is a bit different. Comfort food for me is probably soup. Miso-soup in particular. Real "inaka" style miso soup. (Inaka = country) The soup is full of any combo of vegetables (potato, green beans, white radish, eggplant) maybe with some fried tofu, or really simple with just little cubes of really fresh tofu, or maybe a bit of wakame seaweed. The aroma of the nutty, salty miso paste in a slightly fishy broth... Now that's comfort food! (or not?)

I also LOVE bangers and mash. Juicy oven roasted farmer style sausage smothered in sweet onion gravy all on top of garlic mashed potatoes. YUMMY!

If there is still talk of a cookbook I would be interested.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  5:30:44 PM  Show Profile
When I was a kid and got sick my mom would always make milk toast for me. I still eat it when I'm not feeling well.

Catherine -- your bangers and mash sound yummy.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  5:32:39 PM  Show Profile
Bangers and mash is very nice and my kids love it.

I would love to know how you make your miso soup, and have been talking of making some, didn't know how really, since I saw it mentioned on a British TV show You Are What You Eat. I have some instant miso soup in the pantry.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Comfort foods Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page