Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Comfort foods Next Topic
Page: of 3

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  06:17:24 AM  Show Profile
I meant to bring this topic up in the winter but last night at dinner it came up again.What foods do you associate with "home"? We had meatloaf (1/2 veggie and they didn't even know!), fresh corn on the cob, and fresh green beans. My husband and son have been away the last three weekends and this was the first Sunday dinner we have had in awhile. My son made the comment "If we've got strawberry shortcake for dessert(we did) this is my best meal...EVER!" Not fancy food but obviously his favorites that someday will remind him of us and "home".
I can't look at homemade mac and cheese, baked custard or homemade pies and not think of my Mom. When I'm sick,I want a cup of tea and cinnamon toast,to feel better. Are there foods that trigger those warm fuzzy thoughts for you? Foods that are probably ingrained in your dna by now because you must have them? (I'm not talking chocolate here girls, that's for another day!)

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on May 16 2005 06:19:46 AM

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  08:26:12 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, what a timely topic! I grew up with bacon and eggs for breakfast most mornings... so that evokes all sorts of memories for me, and especially of my Dad. Unfortunately, I can't partake of that very often now for health reasons, but when I splurge, it's a welcome treat.

Fried chicken for Sunday dinner when I was growing up was also another staple. We usually ate beef for dinner during the week, so this was a very nice change. These days I'd update the chicken by baking it, but same concept. We were a meat and potatoes family back then... so mashed potatoes with real butter is comforting, too.

For desserts, berry or apple homemade pies, or chocolate cake were nice treats. Ahh... memory lane!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile
pinto beads cooked with a hamhock in it,and cornbread remind me of my grandma's house..which was my favorite place....and fried okra at every big family meal (my older kids still insist on that)Our family has always barbqued alot too. (beef mostly)

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  09:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Fried Chicken, Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Creamed Corn, Bisquits, Gravy, Cole Slaw, Bread and Butter Pickles and Beets, Spiced Peaches, Homemade Apple Pie and Vanilla Ice Cream and Fresh Iced Tea to wash it all down on Blue Checked Cotton Table Cloth spread on large oak Farm table with mismatched oak chairs scraping old old flooring. Organdy curtains blowing gently in the warm summer breeze, screen doors opening and slamming shut and the sound of families laughter and voices sitting down to this feast. I am Home.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  11:17:11 AM  Show Profile
An idea just flashed in: What about a Farmgirl Connection Comfort Foods of Home cookbook? MJF are you listening?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  2:38:53 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea! I have "A QUILTER'S CHRISTMAS " COOKBOOK AND IT HAS CONTRIBUTIONS FROM WOMEN (AND MEN) FROM ALL DIFFERENT QUILTING GROUPS. THAT WOULD BE FUN!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  8:22:03 PM  Show Profile
ooooooooh! great idea!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jamie
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

jamie

33 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  9:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

What reminds me of my childhood and my grandma is fried bread, fresh homemade cookies of all kinds, bread rising on the counter and then the smell of fresh bread and cinnamon rolls, warm chocolate pudding, fried chicken on Sundays, the sounds of canning fruit and veggies. My grandma has Alzheimers now and she can't do any of this stuff anymore. We have always been so close so it is very difficult for me. She was a very proud farmwife and homekeeper. She taught me to bake, sew, iron, and all of the other homekeeping duties. We would turn on the radio and dance around together in the kitchen laughing while we were waiting for our food to be done. I cherish those memories.
I don't know why I got off the subject but she is "home" to me.
Take care y'all, Jamie
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  10:48:26 AM  Show Profile
A cookbook sounds great to me ,too.
My family always cooked down home comfort foods. My grandma and mom were super cooks and could make anyhting from scratch.Nothing ever came out of a box. And to this day I cannot buy boxed or frozen foods.
Robin
In Western Washington

" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  4:24:09 PM  Show Profile
The only thing I usually get in the frozen food isle is juice concentrate (100% juice) and I hate the box mixes too. Since alot of my kids are adopted, they came from homes where hot dogs and mac and cheese from a box were the norm..but I have converted them all over to real food.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  4:59:03 PM  Show Profile
Yes!
Real food started from rreal ingredients like home made baked beans from scratch and using your own home grown bacon if you have it. I have a neighbor who raises her own organic pigs. Nothing tastes so good as fresh bacon home cured. I am also a fan of noodles and cheese, the kind you make from scratch with real ,wonderful cheeses like New York Sharp Chedder and fresh grated parmesan. Home made noodles and sauce. OOOOO my mouth is watering.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  6:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Anything homemade! From scratch! Even "bad" foods can be good - I have been making meatloaf or hamburgers using a pound of Buffalo meat (very low fat), oatbran (instead of breadcrumbs with hydrogenated fat), vegetables minced fine, etc. Nothing like a piece of real cheddar with an apple, instead of pie. I love fruit and have found frozen fruit instead of using canned, even the one with fruit juice instead of sugar syrup. Everything can be like we remembered without the fat, corn syrup, etc. Except for Thanksgiving and Christmas!!!

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  9:57:21 PM  Show Profile
one of my favorite snacks is some good cheese with a good apple..yum. Reminds me of my grandpa! (of course he ate cornbread chunks in a glass of buttermilk with a spoon too..I don't take the nostalgia thing THAT far..haha)

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  09:51:07 AM  Show Profile
My kids taught me about apple slices and a jar of freshly ground peanut butter, you know, the kind you grind at the market yourself from the freshly roasted peanuts. Anyway, dipping apple slices in peanut butter is another real treat that is an energy booster in mid afternoon and a comfort food for me.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  3:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Chicken Fried Steak and Mac n Cheese, Mashed potatoes and gravy...Yum!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

sugar1
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Diane
Fostoria MI
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 21 2005 :  06:38:42 AM  Show Profile
Cornbread!! I love it homemade, Kentucky style which is dry and crumbly, I like to break it apart, put it in a glass and fill it with buttermilk. Then you eat it with a spoon--it sounds weird but it's delicious! I also love my mom's homemade macaroni and cheese, chocolate chip cookies hot from the oven and iced tea. (not all together, of course!)
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  1:24:57 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

one of my favorite snacks is some good cheese with a good apple..yum. Reminds me of my grandpa! (of course he ate cornbread chunks in a glass of buttermilk with a spoon too..I don't take the nostalgia thing THAT far..haha)

Jenny, thank you for the memory of my dear departed father! Whenever my mom would make her homemade chili beans and cornbread for dinner, he would always have his "dessert" of cornbread chunks in milk! It was always regular, not buttermilk, but we all would look at him as if he were nuts as he grinned and "mmmmm'd" all through it...

Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

goodmojo
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Yarmouth MA
11 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  3:15:53 PM  Show Profile
I remember growing up outside of Albany, NY (in the 60's) and coming in the house after playing outside on a brisk Fall day and the smell of homemade spaghetti sauce pervading the entire house, along with homemade garlic bread! Mom made THE BEST spaghetti sauce in the world! I tell you, every Fall I get a craving for a pile of spaghetti sauce. I make it based on my mom's recipe, plus I add artichoke hearts, black olives and whatever else might strike my fancy that day. I love cooking it and hearing it simmer in the pot, and the way the house fills up with the aroma. It always comes out terrific, and when I sit down with my one big plate of spaghetti (for the year, usually!) I am reminded of home.

I came to this planet for the french roast, and the chocolate, of course.....
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  4:57:54 PM  Show Profile
Count me in on the cookbook idea! Good idea! And it would make a great and fun cookbook to own.

I remember my mom's made-from-scratch tuna noodle casserole. Try as I may, I cannot replicate it. I also remember her chocolate sheet cake with seven minute frosting. Yum. Somehow, I have forgotten all the healthy things she made! :)

jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 26 2005 4:59:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  6:56:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm a spaghetti junkie and I want Goodmojo's Mom's sauce recipe,Yum! And JP's Mom's tuna casserole and sheet cake recipes, and I will share my mom's delicious beef vegetable soup!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2005 :  07:05:20 AM  Show Profile
I guess I should add homemade chocolate chip cookies. I was feeling down in the dumps last night, so I decided to bake some. (Haven't done that in a very long time). Pretty darn good! Figure I can treat myself once in a blue moon.

This triggered a childhood memory for me. My mother encouraged my brothers to be in the kitchen by allowing them to make their own batches of chocolate chip cookies. Got them to learn to measure, and all sorts of things that helped them in the future.... but the funny thing was, they loved the raw cookie dough so much, they rarely ended up with a full batch of baked cookies! Doesn't appeal much to me, but boys will be boys!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2005 :  09:40:27 AM  Show Profile
My husban still loves to bake chocolate chip cookies. His mother taught him to bake too and he has some scars to show for his creative efforts. One day while baking a batch of his chocolate chip cookies he reached over the hot burner on the stove where his mother was doing some canning to get the salt shaker and his shirt tail got onto the burner which immediately set it on fire. His mother has scars on her wrists from putting the fire out with them.
didn't deter him from continuing to bake cookies and banana bread.
After that his mother never used the nich on the stove top for the salt and pepper shakers anymore. They were those wonderful green glass shakers with the metal lids like you see in the antique stores.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2005 :  10:58:47 PM  Show Profile
Here comes the true confessions of a dough-eater: I coud pretty much walk away from chocolate chip cookies once they're baked, but oh!, that dough!!! I've had raw dough parties with a few other friends who are so inclined. If we know we're eating it raw, we leave out the eggs.
I have a great recipe for Sourdough- Chocolate Chip Cookies.They're so yummy, I'll even eat them baked!
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2005 :  11:50:24 PM  Show Profile
The first BLT of the season. I'm a tomato snob, won't buy them from the store for anything. So, after the first toms are ready to harvest I get the bacon frying and between us, my husband and I, we each eat a couple sandwiches. I like my bread toasted he doesn't but we pretty much agree that it doesn't get much better than the first BLT of the season.

Then there is the Clam Chowder. Yep, I'm from New England. Can't get enough of the stuff when we go back to visit family and friends. I don't care if it's the middle of Summer. I want Chowda. I will get my fix in just two more weeks!
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  06:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Sleepless, I'm with ya on the raw cookie dough. I finally learned that if I bake my cookies for just a short amount of time, they're "cooked" but they still taste like dough but are no longer doughy. Now my boyfriend is hooked on my cookies that way. We don't make them often or we'll eat them all in one sitting!!!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  06:36:22 AM  Show Profile
My ultimate comfort food is a recipe that my German great-great-aunt made for sweet and sour cabbage with mashed potatoes. My grandmother makes it, my mother makes it, and I make it. It's the most comforting thing in the world.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Comfort foods Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page