Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What do you pay for a haircut/color?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you pay for a haircut/color? Next Topic
Page: of 2

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  5:35:05 PM  Show Profile
I thought of this reading the last post in the "tipping" topic...

This has been on my mind.

Here in my small city in Ohio, I have been charged $125-150 for a tint (well, gray root touchup really), frost (foiled), and cut/blow-dry/style.

I thought this was OUTRAGEOUS...

So I've been going in Michigan in a much smaller town, and the cost there for the same services is $65-70 plus tip.

Good thing I'm going to Michigan anyway because if I had to factor in the cost of the gas it would cost more in Michigan! LOL....

So, what do you pay?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  6:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Never have I paid, nor would I pay that. I actually color my own hair at home, and do the root touch up for less than $10.00 Always have. I go to the local store, there is a salon there and get my hair cut for $10.95 That's what I can afford, and I really like my hairdresser. She does a great job, coaches me on the color, and I don't mind tipping her! This is just my opinion, and I live in a very rural area. But I do love my hair color - red of course!

Thanks Brenda!!!! Hope you are doing well. Did you get the soaps made? Haven't heard from you. Of course our computer was down for almost 4 weeks! Let me know!

farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  6:57:00 PM  Show Profile
I pay 10.00 for a wash and trim. She will dry and style too for no extra but since i usually go straight home I just airdry. Highlight and wash and trim is usually about 50 bucks. I would die before I would pay more than that! My hair is in a ponytail or a braid 99% of the time anyway!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  8:59:04 PM  Show Profile
I think the price depends on where you live. Cost of living and what the market will bear have something to do with it. Much of Michigan's economy is very depressed but I'll bet if you went to Ann Arbor or some of the resort areas in MI, you would find prices like you have in your city.

The amounts you talk about paying would be low to moderate on the West Coast unless you went to a cheapo place or Supercuts. I pay $45 for a cut (not including tip) and around $85 - $100 for a partial foil. My stylist is not one of the higher paid in that salon either. They use "organic" (non-ammonia) color which is probably more. I don't like paying that much but I won't go to a cheap place. They butcher my hair.

I also know that you can go to some of the schools and get discounts on services.
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  9:12:31 PM  Show Profile
I am so fortunate to have a friend that is a hairdresser and I pay $70 for color and trim which includes tip. Normally it would cost about $120 in my area -Yikes!! I can't do my own because I have dry, thick curly long hair and need a"pro" to color it and still have healthy hair.
Manda
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  05:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I pay approx. $70 for cut and highlight. I hate paying the price but I don't trust myself to do a highlight. I guess those years of seeing orange hair on people trying to do it themselves when I was a kid still stick in my mind, LOL.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/BlueAppleFarm/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  05:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I pay(it's been a year) around $75.00 for a cut/foil highlight. I go to J.C. Penney's styling salon here and I pay extra for having long hair. The last time I got a haircut, they had gone up to $20.00 just for that.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  05:29:05 AM  Show Profile
Brenda,
I pay around $50-$70 (including tip) depending on if it's a perm or highlight in Mt. Vernon. I think you are paying way too much.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  10:02:09 AM  Show Profile
I don't color my hair...still mostly dark brown...but a cut here is $10 to $15. I last got my cut (about 4" to get rid of some ugly self induced layering) a couple years ago..I trim my own bangs and get my sis in law to trim the ends now and then to keep them straight.
My mom was a hairdresser in Calif before she retired..it sure is a lot more expensive there!
My sister pays well over $100 for her cut, color and highlight each time.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  11:50:42 AM  Show Profile
OUCH!

I have cut my own hair for over 16 years, but go to a salon for special occasions (my own wedding 6 years ago).

I recall paying around 17-20 plus tip. This salon was in Cincinnati
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  12:13:33 PM  Show Profile
When I did do all that stuff a couple of years ago, it was easily $75-80 bucks a pop, not to include the "product" I "needed" to buy when I was at the salon. I had Josephine Baker type bob, and man, was that a lot of upkeep!!! That was in northern Kentucky, and seems to be the average price for basic color/cut/style, unless you go to like, Supercuts or something like that...bad hair cut there once, and haven't been back :)

Now, it's growing passed my lower back (I plan on donating it), I'm lucky if I comb it!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  1:35:07 PM  Show Profile
I pay $35 for a wash, cut and dry which includes the tip (I totally believe in tipping hairdressers!) Now that I've finally got my hairdresser cutting my hair the way I like, I'm moving away....oh well, I'm sure I'll find another one.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  1:41:00 PM  Show Profile
I pay $15 for a cut and that includes the tip.

For years I traded hair cuts for my milk soap but working out of town now and I can't get to her. My husband and son still gets their hair cut on the barter system with my soap!

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  2:11:58 PM  Show Profile
I am so fortuneate to have a daughter, though not a hairdresser, who trims and frosts my hair. I pay for the package of stuff she gets at the supply store which is about $5. I, in turn, trim her hair, her sisters hair, and cut my husbands hair and sometimes give my boys a buzz. I am so thankful that I don't have to pay a lot to look "beautiful!" Susan
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  2:16:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure how this broke down. One color, two cuts and two eyebrow waxings = $85.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  2:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I know how you feel, Jonni. I'm planning to donate mine, too. It's just now gotten so long it's very irritating - always falling in the way and getting stuck on jewelry, having to pull it out of my coat every time...I was planning to go through the winter, but my resolve is fading. I was told you have to at least have 10 inches to give up, and I really don't want to be left with short hair myself.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

lavender gal
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

grace
wantagh ny
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  5:13:20 PM  Show Profile
Gosh - I don't feel so bad - coloring was 75 & haircut was 35 - & I was not happy with the whole thing - so back to Lemon Tree - 7 for hair cut & Mis Claiol - 6 if on sale.

GAL

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  6:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Well this is a little embarrassing, but where I go the cut is $60, the color (highlights and lowlights and color in between) is $98, and I of course have to buy 'product.' They have incredible products. Sometimes I get my brows done when I go, sometimes not; but my day getting my hair done and hauling home product (their brand of shampoo, conditioner, hair spray and styling gel) and tips will usually run me this or that of $300.

I know. Ouch.

Edited by - Horseyrider on Nov 15 2006 6:03:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  7:04:00 PM  Show Profile
The cost here, for women, is $25-$35 for a haircut. Color is separate and is around $80 for all over color, or $150-$200 for foils. Depends on the length of your hair. A touch up is about $50. Eyebrows are $14.
Maybe I should move. ;)

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  05:11:02 AM  Show Profile
That is about the price around here, no wonder we look so much younger then our Grand parents when they were our age. Not that my Grandma wasn't beautiful, she was, she just didn't wear denim and company outfits with white ked sneakers and black hair half way down her back. She wore house dresses, clunky shoes, aprons and had her gray done every few weeks by my cousin. dippity- doo. Remember that stuff? Ok I do wear an apron over my denim and company and sports savy, Now you know I do some of my shoping on QVC. I hate dressing rooms.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  06:19:23 AM  Show Profile
For those that want to be more adventuresome and independent on the hair situation, here are two links on how to cut your own hair. It's not as hard as you might think. I've done it for several years now, after being totally dismayed with the options around here.

http://www.mormonchic.com/style/haircut-howto.asp
http://www.howtodothings.com/fashion-and-personal-care/a2795-how-to-cut-your-own-hair.html

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  07:19:35 AM  Show Profile
2 yrs ago I had highlights put in my hair..long hair down to my bottom..and it ran $150 to get the highlights put in..but since my hair is long..it took roughly about 2 hrs to get it all wrapped and then dyed....

I wound up letting it grow out..but got tired of it looking like half my hair had highlights at the bottom part and the top part was light brown....ha

So, since my mother in law used to own a salon..she sent me the solution to even out the brown tones...so I did that about 4 weeks ago.

Day before yesterday..I wanted it a lighter color yet..more like an auburn color..so I went and got a box of Revlon light auburn... and wallah..for about $5 I did it myself and am now a pretty auburn headed gal.

this is the first time I have ever dyed my own hair..other than having had the color wash to even out the tone, and the highlights put in professionally 2 yrs ago...but the first time I have ever totally changed my hair color...my kids like it and so does my husband..he keeps telling me he thinks my hair is pretty and that it looks good.

So...I'm pleased too that I can still look good at a mere $5 versus $150..woohoo frugality..gotta love it! haha.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  07:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Around $80.00 for a cut, two color process (all over to cover gray and then highlights) and blow dry.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  2:22:11 PM  Show Profile
I pay $100 (plus $20 for tip) for highlight, cut and style in California. That is on the low average side for this area. I used to color it myself, but I never liked the look of it. I love the way my hairdresser colors my hair, so I will stay with him for a while. I go in about every 3 months or so.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  4:35:35 PM  Show Profile
I pay $30 for a haircut, including tip. It seems like a lot to me but I had to stop going to the $10 places like Supercuts. They usually didn't butcher it, but I never got the same person twice and hence never got quite the same cut. It was just too stressful having to try to explain it every time and hope they understood me. At my current place, I can make appointments and get the same person every time.

I'm growing my hair out again now, so that should cut the bill in half (just getting a trim every 6-8 weeks instead of every 3-4). I'll definitely check out the home haircut info above, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  7:20:50 PM  Show Profile
The other thing to keep in mind is it may be $35.00 for a consultation, cut and blow dry at more "expensive" places but if you add it up at SuperCuts or others it comes out the same or more and the stylist I go to now is much better!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you pay for a haircut/color? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page