Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Molting Next Topic  

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  1:19:15 PM  Show Profile
I have a chicken who just went through her first molt, a R.I. Red. Her other siblings did not go through this, but last year (they are 1 1/2 yrs) two lost some back feathers right at the flat of the back (before the tail starts)and never grew back. They have a 2 x 3 inch square on their back. Does anyone else have a chicken like this??
Also the one that molted left the the chicken coop (they are free-range) while it molted and is now not being left back in. What's with that?? I'm concerned since she will need the warmth of the others very soon. Chickens are really like humans. You really can't figure them out!

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  1:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Another question: Are most silky roosters over-sexed and aggressive?? This is my second try with them and both the small bantam silky rooster and my full sized are a little nuts!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  04:27:49 AM  Show Profile
The bare patches on the backs.... The hens may be picking feathers off each other. Sometimes this picking is just a bad habit that develops or is a sign of a nutritional need. Perhaps add some oyster shell or higher protein. If there's a rooster, the patches may be bare because of his constant mounting.

The hen not being let back in.... Chickens definitely have a pecking order. Perhaps she lost her place in line and is now at the bottom. If you are concerned about her safety, force her to stay in the coop with the others. They'll fight a bit, but it will all get worked out in a couple of days.

Over sexed roosters.... I laughed at that, so funny! I could picture them running around bothering all the girls. I'm not sure if one breed is more amorous than another. My experience has been that roosters are always looking for a 'quickie'. They can mount numerous times in a day.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  5:24:31 PM  Show Profile
The missing patches mean those girls are the roo's "favorite ladies". I am curious what is your ratio of hens to roosters?

The life of a rooster...sex, eat, crow, sex, eat, crow! Now, I will tell you that I don't keep an over aggressive male. I watch the relationship carefully! lol A good roo will feed his ladies first, call them to food, warn them when he thinks there is danger, and doesn't over-mount (resulting in injury to your hens...not just missing feathers). If you have too many males to females, you will need to cut back on the males to give the poor hens a break. I keep one male to about 10-15 females if possible, but often a group of about 8 females is okay, as long as the males aren't fighting and they aren't tearing up my girls!

The one loner is probably now an omega girl. There will always be one that is lowest on the totem pole. As long as they are not attacking her and causing injuries, I don't worry about it. If they draw blood, I separate her until she is healed and I will try to reintroduce. I have gotten rid of a few hens who where too "top dog" AKA evil! I don't deal with aggressive roos or hens.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Molting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page