hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  4:34:04 PM  Show Profile
We bought six chicks back in March. A few months ago, the chickens all turned on one chicken, causing its head to bleed. So, we took that one chicken out of the coop and put her by herself to let her heal. We tried introducing her back to the flock, but they all chase her and I declare that chicken has PTSD, as she curls up in a ball and lets them harass her. A few weeks ago we bought three more chickens, that are not quite to the point of laying yet. We've had the older chicken "pack n played" wth the younger chickens in hope to introduce her to them, without anyone getting hurt. We are suppose to get REALLY cold this weekend, so we tried letting her in with the younger ones today. She tried to tear them up!!!!! What do I do with this chicken? She gets bullied by the ones that are her age and she bullies the younger ones!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  7:02:55 PM  Show Profile
try putting them together , when it is pitch dark, so when they wake-up in the morn, they are together, it works almost every time...putting older ones with much younger ones will always end in the older picking on the younger, even to the death...good luck

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2014 :  3:48:55 PM  Show Profile
sadly, that did not work :( We tried it last night, putting her in there around 11. At 7 this morning, my oldest daughter rushed in to say they were attacking her. Sure enough, they tore up her head all over again :( I guess the poor chicken is going to have to live alone! Will she freeze???? I always thought they would curl up together to keep each other warm.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2014 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile
another idea is to put her in a cage, in your coop with the others, and hopfully in a week or so they will allow her to join the flock, otherwise you may need to re-home her...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page