Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Lovebirds Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2014 :  9:47:47 PM  Show Profile
I've written about losing my cockatiel, Koko, in other posts.I had him for twenty-one years. My parakeet, Skye, seemed lonely after Koko died. They were in separate cages but would talk back and forth. So I got a green parakeet that I named Rainbow. Skye didn't know what to think at first. What was this strange bird doing in his cage? But the other day, I caught him feeding Rainbow. So now they both seem happy and I think Skye is in love. I'm pretty sure Rainbow is a she but it's still too soon to tell. I miss Koko but I'm glad that Skye is happy.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2014 :  2:11:02 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Cindy, seems like love is in the air!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2014 :  3:07:11 PM  Show Profile
We used to raise parakeets, and you may be able to determine the sex of your two birds. At the top of the beak is a raised area around the nostrils. On males this space is usually bluish, on females more of a tan color, but that can vary with the general feather color.

On another note. If they don't care and are happy together why worry?

If they are opposite sex and you might like to raise babies contact me for some clues, such as, we had a lemon scented cleaner that seems to work as a birdie aphrodisiac!

Take care,
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2014 :  6:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Right now I can't determine Rainbow's gender cause his/her cere is still a lavender color. It'll change to blue or tan as Rainbow grows older. I'm really not interested in breeding parakeets--I had a pair of breeding white ring-necked doves and they were very prolific. I finally found a new home for them, though I kept one of the babies. His name was Ghoster. But he wanted a mate so I gave him to a woman who had a lonely female dove and they were together for years. Rainbow shows a lot of interest in listening to me speak so maybe he/she will learn to talk. I think Skye can talk a little but he only does it if he thinks I'm not listening. I sure miss Koko's sweet voice.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  04:20:01 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,
So sorry for your loss :(

I have a tiel as well. She's my joy. People don't realize what great pets they make. Especially for us retired and apt dwellers :)

Sounds like you have found a perfect new friend now for Skye. Hope all continues to work out!

Blessings,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Lovebirds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page