magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  11:10:26 AM  Show Profile
Our buck "Big Al" is chasing the girls (Mocha, Carmelita, and Dulce), it is breeding season on our farm. I think it is so funny to hear him sneeze, grunt, and bellow, while he is wooing the girls, and of course, peeing on his beard to produce that "Goat Chanel #5" to entice them is more of the fun of Goat Love in full swing. The occasional chicken gets run over and the guineas (Ginner and Newbie) join in the fun, screaming as they follow the goats around. You can't get this kind of entertainment on TV. Yes, there is nothing like a glass of iced tea, a bench under the shade tree, and the ongoing amusement on our farm.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7008 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7008 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  11:27:19 AM  Show Profile
I don't think I have ever heard it described in such a informative and fun way. Didn't know about the peeing on beard thing. Just goes to show you that at 72 I still have much to learn. I'm still smiling from reading all about 'goat love'.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  1:12:42 PM  Show Profile
What a fascinating way to write about the happenings on your farm! I can almost picture it through your descriptions! Enjoy your "free" entertainment!!!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  5:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I see you live in my old hometown! What kind of goats do you have? It is breeding season as well at our farm too. We have Nubians. We call that buck smell "Essence of Buck". LOL Never a dull moment on a farm.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile
I have Nigerian Dwarves. My little dairy herd has 3 does, 1 buck (Big Al), 1 wether (BB), and 1 buckling (Little Sal). This morning I left the girls and Al in the small pen and turned the other two boys out in the pasture. Big Al has rubbed his horn nubs bloody but he is still singing his song of "goat love" for all the world to hear. It appears that Carmelita is the only doe that has not taken advantage of his overtures, hopefully she will give in to his amorous attentions some time today and breeding season will be over for a while here on my little farm.

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  11:42:18 AM  Show Profile
I understand about the horn nubs. Mine have lost a lot weight already moping all day for some loving. We will start breeding ours the end of the month. We started with 2 and now have 30 does. We will be selling some come spring once once we dicide who stays. We had 1 set of quads, 6 sets of triplets, 1 single birth and the rest twins last spring. The quads and triplets were a first for us. 2 sets of triplets came from first freshners!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  12:55:03 PM  Show Profile
What do you ladies use your goats for? Are they milk? Soap? Cheese? Meat? We have looked at goats for the future, but are still debating between them, icelandic sheep, and/or jersey cows.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  12:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Too funny! I can just picture it! LOVE your description, Kathryn! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  3:30:47 PM  Show Profile
I use the milk, make yogurt and soft cheeses. I want to make soap but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  6:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I'm not too far from you. I'm east of you in Porter.

Our goats are doing the love dances, too. I sold off our older bucks last year and got a young one to help introduce some new genetics. Our closed herd had been breeding closely for several years and it was time for a change.

This breeding season is this new buck's first. He has been snorting, sticking out his tongue, and making gosh awful screaming noises. My older girls are playing hard to get and look at him like he is clueless as to how to woo them appropriately. The younger girls think he's the best thing since apple nugget snacks.

Teaching sex ed to my kids was so easy on the farm. All they had to do was just sit and watch a while. lol :)

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  9:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Shannon- I make soaps (have a website with it for sale), soft cheese, and yogurt. We drink the milk too. Use excess to feed the kids, pigs and chickens. I am planning to get a cream separator so that I can have cream for butter and ice cream. Haven't eaten goat meat yet.

Cajungal- I am not far from you, I am near Livingston. Oh, and teaching sex ed has been a thing around here too with the grandkids. LOL

Farm entertainment is unique!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  09:07:20 AM  Show Profile
Ours is a closed herd also, this year we kept one of the spring kids, Little Sal for our new buck. I won't let him in with the does until next fall, I want him to be at least a year old before we put him to "work". I feed all of the whey from cheese making to my chickens and LeaLou (head farm dog). We have sent wethers to the slaughter house and had all of the meat processed into ground meat. We like it better than the steak, chops, and ribs. My son and his family lives in Kingwood and we are considering moving closer to him when my DH retires in a few years. We haven't started looking for land yet.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  12:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I am a stone's throw from Kingwood. Ask your son if he ever sees a white pickup truck with 'One Acre Farm' on the back. That's me! Prior to my mom getting sick and passing, I was a vendor at the weekly Farmer's Market in the Town Center. I'd bring animals with me for the kids to see. The goats were always a hit.

I have two more 'girls' that must've just come into season because Sven the buck is going crazy again.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat Love Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page