Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Coconut oil - any opinions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Coconut oil - any opinions? Next Topic  

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  11:14:01 AM  Show Profile
Recently I've been reading about coconut oil. In the past it has been said that it has the most saturated fats of all the oils, but some research being done says the fats are the Omega 3 fats, the medium-chain fatty acids, the kind that are very good for health. I've been reading a book called Coconut Cures which touts the healthful benefits of it. It is supposed to be good for slow thyroid and autoimunne diseases like diabetes and fibromyalgia. Has anyone tried it and had any good or bad experiences with it or tried it and found no difference using it? I'm trying it for my low thyroid condition to see if it will give me more energy. Keep in mind, as with anything, a person would need to talk to their doctor when trying anything different as it may affect amounts of medication requirements.

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  1:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Chris, I got some because my chiro (who is also a close friend) suggested it for sluggish thyroid. She had me put about a tablespoon a day in my hot oatmeal. She said it would make me flush at first, but then it'd make me feel better.

All I got was the flush. It made my oatmeal taste pretty weird, and I got to where I just couldn't gag it down anymore. I did notice that my skin was *slightly* less dry, but I could get more bang from an application of a good moisturizer. So in a nutshell, I got no real benefit.

My dog, however, gets some every morning. Her holistic vet recommended it for the medium chain fatty acids. And at night she gets a bit of flax oil for the Omega 3's.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  5:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Great stuff, good to cook with, if you saute with it use a lower temp. Coconut oil can handle about 375 as a max. I make a pesto spread with it and also a honey cinnamon spread for toast.
I use it instead of butter or with butter, I use it as a moisturizer for dry skin and when I get out of the shower as a overall moisturizer.
I use in in homemade soap to add a little more lather to the bars.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  7:08:47 PM  Show Profile
thanks for your honest replies, farmgirl friends. I've been trying it, I find the taste to be rather bland which surprised me because I have never really liked the taste of coconut (didn't hate it, just never cared for it) - so I find it doesn't taste like much of anything so I'll use it for a while and see what developes. I really like the soap that is made with coconut oil. I also use the oil directly on my skin and am surprised how my skin drinks it in, and doesn't feel oily afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  4:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Chris,
I know what you mean about not really caring for coconut.
I am the same way. I'd rather not have coconut if I can help it.
So I too was surprised about the oil, the "EXTRA VIRGIN" seems to have a coconut smell and maybe a little taste.
I do find my skin must suck it in, as when I towel off my towels aren't greasy at all.
My face will have a little shine I have noticed.
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  9:55:58 PM  Show Profile
I have been using it to cook with and in my daily beauty routine. Not sure of the long-term benefits yet but being a vegetarian and wanting to get some of the fatties that are supposed to be good, I would rather take a T of coconut oil anyday over flax!! I just can't stand that greasy stuff. But I can take a T of coconut washed down with water very easily.

My skin loves it too!!

I also am reading "The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife. Lots of technical talk that my breastfeeding brain cannot absorb but I am reading it anyway ;)!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 7 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  4:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Great book Tracey!
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  6:20:39 PM  Show Profile
In his book, Coconut Cures, he explains how the digestive process works and about coconut oil being a medium chain fatty acid (an Omega 3 fatty acid, too, which is good for you) which does not require anything from the liver or gall bladder to be digested....its all very interesting.....and its also similar to breast milk in some of the acids it has in it - Lauric acid I think he said, same helpful thing in breast milk that helps babies while their immune system gets going. Sounds like good stuff to me - I gave some to my dogs to see if they like it, they
gobble it down! Its supposed to be helpful in getting rid of worms in people and so too dogs I guess.

Edited by - OregonGal on Nov 15 2006 6:22:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

beachbuminthecountry
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Effort PA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  10:36:30 AM  Show Profile
I also read that it is an antifungal. You have to make sure you get the unrefined coconut oil.

Thank you and God Bless
BB

If Satan comes knocking at your door, just say " Jesus can you get that for me"
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  12:37:16 PM  Show Profile
thanks for your comments BB, welcome to the site.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Coconut oil - any opinions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page