Previous Page | Next Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Linen Spray Next Topic
Page: of 3

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  2:16:11 PM  Show Profile
OOOOO.... I like those ideas! The peppermint would be nice and refreshing for tired feet! I really like the idea of doing this by sunlight, that way you don't run the risk of overheating the essential oils being released. Thanks!

P.S. I love W.H. Auden, many wise and wonderful words! And... my son was a blue moon baby!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  6:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone make up any kind of hair rinse similar to these linen sprays? I used to steep rosemary in water to highlight my dark hair, but my hair is not so dark anymore! Any ideas?

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  6:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Cecelia, I used to steep chamomile blossoms and rinse my hair in it...I am blonde. It did seem to brighten the hair.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  8:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Yep, that's what I use the Peppermint for tired feet and tired neck and shoulder muscles.

I do add vodka to my water too so that it will keep and I've also done it the reverse when I steeped the herbs in the vodka in the sun and then diluted it. Seemed to work the same.

I just found Auden and this particular libretto was in a book "The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters" by Elizabeth Robinson. It gave me goosebumps as we had just recently found our land and christened it "The Blue Moon" because it was just that, our once in a lifetime deal and chance, that one time when the odd thing happened and the moon turned blue. Still gives me goosebumps :)

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  6:20:38 PM  Show Profile
This forum is really fun . . . I am so inspired . . . I'm off to iron and I'm going to use the Peony scented linen spray I bought from The Farm Chicks (featured in MJF magazine).
Then I'm going to pluck the roses from Evelyn (smells heavenly) and make some of my own.
Thanks for all the fabulous ideas!
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

bootzilla
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Anna
Minneapolis MN
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  06:50:07 AM  Show Profile
I would love the recipe to the linen spray if anyone has it - I'm not sure about the percentage of vodka to water. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  08:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Here's the recipe that I use and I use a 5 ounce spray bottle

1 oz vodka
4 oz distilled water (using distilled water lessens the chance of mold and stuff growing if you leave it setting out)

10 drops or so of your essential/fragrance oil

Add the oil to the vodka and shake well, add the water and shake again. Remember to shake before use and be sure that whatever you're spraying it on won't be stained or discolored by it. Store in a dry/cool spot.

Auden
Go to Top of Page

sweetpea
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Kelley
Oxnard California
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  09:13:59 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE ironing and especially when I have a nice linen spray...
They are so nice and easy to make...
I had a recipe from a book that I used to have that had a wonderful recipe...smelled heavenly...
Just be sure to check that your linen sprays won't stain fine or delicate fabrics...ask me how I know! :)
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  11:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Here's my linen water formula:

1 1/2 cups distilled water
2 tbsps vodka (highest proof possible -- I also buy the cheapest)
5 ml (1 tsp or 100 drops) lavender essential oil

I put all ingredients in a jar, shake, and pour in a spray bottle. You can use other scents of essential oil and can adjust according to how strong a scent you want. When making rose linen water I use a little less as it can be overpowering. The mixture will be cloudy but that ok. Be sure to shake before using.

You can also use this as an air freshner, pour directly in your iron, and body spray. I add about 1/4 cup to the rinse cycle of my washer. Clothes smell heavenly!! This stuff actually makes you want to iron!!

Kay

Proud Member of Farmgirls of North Clark County
Go to Top of Page

Lindacamp
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Linda
Oakridge Lynch Gloucestershire
United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  08:30:18 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,

I feel like a fruad: I don't have a farm, I don't like ironing and I don'tlive in the States. However, I do live in the countryside [albeit Enlgand] and there is nothing more wonderful than the smeel of laundered sheets to my mind. We have lots of rose and lavender growing in our garden and I wanted to make my own linen spray and haver read your recipes with interest. I have a couple of questions, though, if anyone has the time to reply.

1. If you just steep the petals do you really get the smell of the flower?

2. If you go the vodka route, most recipes seem to advocate using [bought] essentail oils. I really want to make something from scratch myself. Is it possible/stupid/preferable to make essentail oils at home and is there any advantage?

I would welcome any thoughts.

LINDA
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile
Linda:
Welcome! I don't think you're a fraud. I don't like ironing either, but I seem to do quite a bit of it and the linen water makes it just a touch more enjoyable.
I love England (and Scotland)! If I get to travel, the UK and Hawaii are my first choices.
I haven't actually made any linen water, yet, but my roses are calling to me and I was going to try making some without the vodka. I think the vodka was to keep the linen water from going bad. I'll just keep it refrigerated and see what happens.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  10:11:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda,

Welcome!! Anyone can be a Farmgirl -- it's more a matter of the heart than anything!

Vodka is only used as a preservative in the linen water and you can add your own fragrance whether essential oils or steeped flowers.

Kay

Proud Member of Farmgirls of North Clark County
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  1:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Linda....

You're not a fraud, there's parts of being a Farmgirl that don't appeal to all of us and that's okay. We each have our things that we LOVE and each have our things that we hate........for example, I hate to garden but Dh's loves it so we have a garden every year and I spend part of it killing his plants and the other half trying to dig them out from under the weeds.....

As far as the spray, yes you can use petals and yes they do smell like flowers. You can heat water and add the petals and let them steep and then strain or you can add the petals to vodka and let them sit in the sun and then strain them.

The vodka is used as a preserative so that the water won't get moldy or yucky.

I know it seems like a bunch of greek and if you're like me, you're afraid that you're going to mess it up or ruin it but trust me, you can't hardly mess it up and even if you do, well, you've learned how not to do it and try again to learn how to do it.

As Ms. Frizz says "Take chances, make mistakes, get messy"

Auden
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  9:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
hey Bramble!!
yes ironing has been outlawed since the 90's for me at least!!But ...i am a huge believer of the-hang -it- on- the- shower rod- and -hit- it- with- the - mist -bottle -the -night -before - technique !!! ive never heard the term WONKY before but im sure nuff gonna use it next time im over caffinated!!! so use your linen spray then and skip the iron!! la la la LOVELY!! ive got 3 different lavendars bloomin now...im going to try my hand at making some scented water maybe throw in some thyme.......I love a trippio espresso con panna WONKAAAAY!!!.....heavy on the con panna( thats whipped cream baby!!!!)remember..." we must do the thing we think we cannot do!"
Farm on!!!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

Lindacamp
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Linda
Oakridge Lynch Gloucestershire
United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  01:28:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies

I love the internet! It is wonderful the way it brings people together. Thank you everyone for your tips. I am about to pick some roses and start. Will update you on the results.

I had hoped the vodak was to drink while waiting for the roses to stew. Ho hum.....

Cheers

Linda
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  05:27:33 AM  Show Profile
Lindacamp-- Welcome to MJF! Don't apologize you sound like you fit right in with the rest of us! OH you lucky , lucky person to live in the countryside of England! I have visited twice and loved every minute (even the rain!)Welcome to MJF!

As for you Ms. Susan..."wonky" is that feeling of being slightly ascue and off center, caffeine does it to me every time. You better watch out or you'll be quilting with a caffeine buzz and who knows what might happen! A runner 57 feet long, 37 quilt tops all the same,
or running through the streets spraying inocent bystanders with your
magic linen potion.I shudder to think of the possibilities!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  08:59:23 AM  Show Profile
OH yes, the possiblities and the wonder of it all!!!!

When I made my first water out of lavender, my son couldn't get enough of it. He carried it everywhere we went and he sprayed everything in sight with it. Luckily it smelled good and people didn't mind....

Even now he keeps his bottle in his room (he's 7) and he lets me know when the other bottles are getting empty and we need to make more.

Auden
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  09:19:12 AM  Show Profile
I never imagined when I started this topic where it would lead...Now a wonderful farmgirl from the UK is joining in! So glad you found this site Linda! You are welcome here anytime. Your farm and home are so beautiful! The Cotswalds has always been a dream of mine to visit one day. Back to the spray topic, I use the old fashioned antique varieties of roses. And the David Austin English roses. They have a strong, beautiful scent. Steeping the petals in hot water does bring the scent out nicely for me. Others ideas here are just as good. Whatever works for you. I don't have any vodka on hand and don't want to purchase it just for linen spray, too expensive. I have even considered using fresh mown hay and brome grass for spray. The possibilities ARE endless!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  7:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Ms Bramble!!
Thank you for the ideas!! Im thinking im at my best when im wonky...but thats just me!!I was up past midnight last night checking out some other topics and replying....I think it would be hilarious to spray unsuspecting bystanders with a little bit o country freshness!!! Its the Farmgirl answer to the fancy-schmancy
perfume sprayers in the department stores....except we're not annoying, we're SOOOOTHING ...ahhhh yessss thats much better!!!!!!maybe try the county fair or perhaps the farmers market.....I think ive GOT SOMETHING!!!! Ladies use your discretion...this could be
fabulous!!!!!now....where is my coffee?!! hahah

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  7:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Linda, So glad you decided to join us!! As far as Im concerned, you can purchase the largest size Vodka you please and use any extra for attitude adjustments as needed. Whatever works!!!Happy brewing!!
Cheers indeed!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

jillofalltrades
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Nicole

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see jillofalltrades's MSN Messenger address  Send jillofalltrades a Yahoo! Message
I'm curious to know what type of antique roses you girls have. I'm jealous. Did you plant them yourself or where they already growing on your property? I've been looking everywhere for some roses but have yet to find any considered antique.

~Nicole
www.thelazydeaux.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  11:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried the Antique Rose Emporium? I think they are in TX and I know there is a similar named co,. in California. Both ship everywhere and have a very good product. I hope you find what you are looking for. I planted all of mine, there was only one sad "Mr. Lincoln" when I got here!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jillofalltrades
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Nicole

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  7:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jillofalltrades's MSN Messenger address  Send jillofalltrades a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much for the information! We are moving onto some property that use to be an open pasture. There were some old oaks only but it was hit by a tornado in November and we lost most of those. We plan to move in October and I'm trying to get my notes together and lay out my garden plots for spring. We have A LOT of planting to do.

~Nicole
www.thelazydeaux.com
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  02:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Wow! What great ideas! I have an old fashioned rose that I bought a few years back from a garden center because the fragrance was/is so delightful! Now when it's blooming I love to work around it and enjoy the heavenly aroma but never thought to make use of it as a linen spray! Duh!!! Ü That's what I love about my fellow Farm Girl sista's, ya remind me to stop and enjoy the simple things that I've too often forget to do or just plain over look. Thanks for reminding me to cherish the simple joys like homemade linen spray, sun dried laundry, porch swings, faith, family, friends and the beauty of flowers in bloom!

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  03:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I make rosewater every year but never thought to iron with it! Duh!
Here is the recipe I use:
1 glass jar ( I use a gallon clamp top)make sure it is squeaky clean!
distilled water
fragrant rose petals
Pick rose petals at about 10 am-noon on a sunny day when they are most fragrant. fill jar and cover with distilled water and
sit in a hot sunny place for the day. At dusk bring in and strain thoroughly. Double strain if necessary. Add 1 oz. of vodka for every quart of rose water. Store in the fridge.
My rosewater lasts for a year , most of the time. I have tried to keep it at room temp and it will turn funky. Adding more vodka just makes it smell like vodka!
My favorite roses to use are damask roses ( rosa damascena) but any old fragrant rose will work.
So much pleasure for so little work!!!

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Aug 10 2005 6:36:26 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Linen Spray Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page