Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Linen Spray Next Topic
Page: of 3

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  2:32:31 PM  Show Profile
I am experimenting with making my own linen spray girls! My antique roses are blooming their heads off and the scent is heavenly. I picked a bunch and de-petaled. Boiled a quart of water, poured over the petals and let "steep" for about an hour. Strained the water into clean spray bottles, and it smells wonderful. I plan on using it on my sheets, pillowcases, and anything that I iron. Bet you could use any sweet scented flower or herb this way to make your own spray. Lavender would be wonderful!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  3:37:15 PM  Show Profile
I have two types of old fashioned roses that are blooming and they both have terrific scents to them. So, thanks for the idea! Since it's raining and supposed to rain all week, maybe I'll just trim them all before they get too waterlogged, and begin!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  4:34:11 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention, better keep the spray in the fridge to preserve it. Since it has no alcohol in it the spray will keep longer. In experimenting with the flowers, you could steep the petals longer for a stronger scent. I like a subtle scent so I steep just an hour. Experiment with different scents and have fun with it.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  7:38:25 PM  Show Profile
I have made lavender and rose linen sprays and loved them. I kept my in the fridge too...thanks for the reminder I should do some more..I miss that!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

FarmChickSerena
Farm Chick

45 Posts

Serena
WA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  07:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Lilac works well for this too!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  09:09:11 AM  Show Profile
ooooh and my lilacs are blooming right now!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  09:32:53 AM  Show Profile
Darn, My lilacs have finished blooming...but I do have a peony that will be blooming this week, and there are my Irises! Right now I am busy making spray for my farmgirl friends to enjoy. Went to Wal-Mart last night and bought a bunch of one dollar plastic spray bottles.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  10:31:13 AM  Show Profile
OOooo...I love this idea! But wasn't IRONING outlawed sometime around when I got married?! Is it now an underground movement I have completely missed? Are there secret clubs you can join? Is there a special handshake to let people know you iron? ( I don't think I should have had that Frappecino at lunch, I am feeling rather wonky as you can tell!Caffeine is a very bad thing for me!)

All goofiness aside, yesterday I found two old linen hem stitched pillowcases that I'm going to add some vintage crocheted lace to. Then I will try this truly delightful idea. Thanks for another great tip! I bet violets or lavender would work well also.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  10:38:00 AM  Show Profile
Bramble - I'm a closet ironer too. In fact, that is the one household task I will gladly do. Instant results, love that! I spent one morning last weekend ironing some old tablecloths and such that I use around the house. It was heaven. Just this week I was folding some yardage that I had pre-washed, feeling frazzled about something when I began, but when I finished the final piece, I was much more relaxed. I made a mental note to do this more often, especially as a remedy when stressed. I believe that is one of the side benefits the women of the past experienced as they did their needlework of all kinds, and sewing, hanging laundry on the line to dry, etc: THERAPY.

P.S. Maybe we can develop a secret handshake for the farmgirl chapters members who love ironing! haha

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  11:04:05 AM  Show Profile
I love ironing table cloths also! I just calm down and go "somewhere else" when I iron. I love hanging laundry on the line on hot summer days. If someone could bottle the smell of sunshine...

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  11:53:55 AM  Show Profile
For those that like the smell all the time, Yankee candle has two candle scents "Clean cotton" and a new one that has something to do with the clothesline. I'm not sure of the exact name but it smelled GREAT!
I do iron, but not often. I am from that wrinkled indian gauze generation let's not forget! I remember teasing my soon to be Mother in law when I saw her ironing dish towels that if she ironed the socks and underwear the wedding was off! She found it quite funny and didn't think I was serious! I wasn't so sure!
Actually, my favorite thing to iron is a quilt block when you have to press the seams and all your hard work is made better by a good pressing. The other thing is vintage linens , where you take this rumpled thing and turn all it's embroidery and lace into a work of art.
Here is an excellent tip I learned from Martha S.:
If you are ironing anything monogramed, place a fluffy towel under the face of the monogram (the "right side") and steam press from the back side with a pressing cloth if you use one . This way you don't flatten the stitches on the front and the steam sort of plumps them up, nicely defined. It works every time!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  1:32:15 PM  Show Profile
My gardenias are in full bloom. Love that smell, as well as confederate jasmine, which is also blooming like crazy. My back yard is almost intoxicating right now. Would any of these these work for the linen spray do you think?
jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  1:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Try them Jp! Mmmm...Gardenia and jasmine! I would steep them seperately, and maybe not for very long because they are powerfully scented blooms.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  8:22:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! I will let you know how it works!
jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  9:06:17 PM  Show Profile
I did mine tonight. I decided to let them steep until they cooled off, which turned out to be about 3.5 hours. Lovely rose smell, the water is also pink-rose colored. I decided to include the rose hip in the steeping too, since they also had a nice scent, so I double strained the liquid to get all of the small bits out. It's cooling in the fridge now, and I'm looking forward to giving it a try!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  09:07:31 AM  Show Profile
There is something very comforting about the smell of the whole house when ironing. It must change the ions in the air from positive ions (which can make us sick) to negative ions ( which actually make us feel better. I know I love it and it is a comfort smell for me, much like comfort foods.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  6:46:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm definitely going to try this! I have lilacs and lavendar growing (not blooming yet). I wonder if you could put this water into a steam iron (maybe if you used distilled water?) and iron linens, blouses, etc. this way. And Bramble, as I write this, I am burning a "Clean Cotton" wax tart (melted over a tea candle) and the smell is heavenly. Haven't seen the clothesline one, but they also have "Fresh Linen".

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  9:54:06 PM  Show Profile
I am pretty sure thta fresh linen IS the clothes line one..I am a yankee candle junky. I have to have my "Home sweet Home" for the living room (warm and cinnamony) and my floral (changes with my mood) for the bedroom...got a CAlla Lily one for Christmas from a friend..it is so strong that i just take the lid off and don't even light it and it scents a room!!! I want to get the clean cotton or fresh linen next time..it would be nice anywhere!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  09:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Cecelia, I think I would use just plain distilled water in the iron and put the fragrance water into a spray bottle and spray in on the things as I iron them. Also you can add a couple drops of grapefruit seed extract (see your healthfood store) to the sprays to help stop the mold from growing in it even in the fridge, a little goes a long way. Grapefruit seed extract is a wonderful natural preservative and can also be added to your fresh homemade soap recipe at the same time as you add your esential oils to the mix just before pouring into the molds.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  10:18:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip, Eileen! Would this be in liquid form so it easily dissolves?

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  10:27:26 AM  Show Profile
It comes in a squeeze bottle in liquid form. I also use it in my morning juice drink. A great health benefit.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  10:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Good tip Eileen!

Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  1:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls, so glad to see the interest in ironing. I am an out-of-the closet ironer.... and have been since my grandmother taught me as a young girl. "The perfect collar", she would say, "fold the sleeve this way", and "don't forget the pillow cases". I loved her dearly...
It is therapy for me also; I just spent 4 hours on Sunday afternoon, with all the summer blouses, napkins, and aprons.
I can't wait for you all to see MaryJane's book. We have a recipe for linen water using vodka and essential oils. I do love using fresh flowers, but in the winter the oils will be my substitute. When using the vodka to break down the oil, there is no need to refrigerate.
We love all of you. Thanks from the bottom of our hearts for your support in what we do here at the farm.

Food Styl'in & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  12:17:26 PM  Show Profile
I make my own linen water but use essential oils for fragrance and vodka as the preservative. Using the linen water makes ironing a true joy -- the whole house smells good! I have the recipe if anyone would like it. Very easy to make.

I love to iron too!!! It is very relaxing and very satisfying. I probably get it from my grandma -- she used to iron for other people to earn extra money. I used to help her when I was little -- in the day when you sprinkled the clothes with a water bottle the day before and put them in the fridge until you were ready to iron. Granny would always let me iron the hankies and pillowcases -- wonderful memories!

Kay

Proud Member of Farmgirls of North Clark County
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  1:41:03 PM  Show Profile
Today is the day I finished my spray, one lily of the valley and the other violet. Both smell heavenly and I made them very strong sort of as a concentrate but I did put a touch of alcohol in them to prevent bacterial growth. I might just go around the house spritzing everything and never get to the ironing (just kidding!)Does anyone know if you can freeze this? I would think the oils might be damaged by frost crystals in some way but it would be handy to pop a few cubes in your mister and fill with distilled water whenever need it.
Think of your cool mist humidifier in the winter slightly scented...hmmm. I am seeing many more possibilities than ironing!
Oh here's the dog! I'll let you know how THAT one works out if I can catch her!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  1:30:59 PM  Show Profile
I make my own Linen/Room spray too using both fresh flowers and using essential oils.

Instead of doing them on the stove though, I put the distilled water and the flowers in a jar and set them outside in the sunlight. Works the same way but I don't have to stand over them and it soaks up the sun's energy too.

My favorites are rose, lavender, lemon peel and lemon balm for fresh sprays and Green Apple, Peppermint (which I make with herbs too) and Sage for the essentials.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Linen Spray Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page