westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  07:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi I founf a few things I thought you may be interested in for non-toxic tips. The web-site is www.worldwildlife.org

SILVER POLISH-1 tsp. salt
sheet of aluminum foil
1 tsp. baking soda
put foil in bottom of pan, add about 2 to 3 inched of H2O,baking soda and salt, bring to a boil, add silver & make sure H2O covers it. Boil another 2 to 3 minutes. remove carefully from pan,rinse and dry. For large items, do it in the sink.

For Ants and other bugs
Powdered sugar
Borax
combine equal parts of both and just sprinkle where ever they are.
I KNOW it sounds weird w/ powdered sugar but it works, I did it w/ big soldier ants. I guesss the sugar attracts them & boeax kills them. I just know it works.

all purpose cleaner:
3 tsp. liquid soap, OR 1/4 cup vinegar, OR 1/4 cup lemon juice, OR 1/4 cup Borax (per gallon of H2O).

Hope this helps. I am ALWAYS looking for non-toxic cleaners and things to have around my house and yard. Please send me anything you may have. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  08:01:06 AM  Show Profile
We have used the silver cleaner tip (only without the salt) and it works! It was a science experiment for my third-grader this year. (The joys of homeschooling; science and getting my silver cleaned) It's actually an electro-chemical reaction that sends the tarnish from your silver to the foil :)
As for the sugar and borax, I'd be careful no other pets get ahold of it...
Good tips, Michele!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  2:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls One other question on dealing with field mice. Since the weather has become quite warm here in Texas and my hay fields were mowed, I am having a terrible time with the mice coming in my house. I will not use poisons because I have pets and read something recently about some sort of herbal supplement that farmers use to put in their tractor cabs etc during the cold months when mice tend to seek warm places to nest. Apparently, these herbs can also be used in the house, but the odor is strong but harmless. A woman in North Dakota sells this and swears that the mice hate the smell and literally run away to escape. Has anyone heard of this or have other solutions???

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  10:59:15 PM  Show Profile
From this website (http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/187)I found some tips for repelling pests naturally...

3. Make your own moth ball alternatives.
Natural Moth Balls (Repellent Sachets): These sachets are lovely to tuck into sweater drawers and hang in closets. Most health food stores sell bulk dried herbs.

2 ounces each of dried rosemary and mint
1 ounce each of dried thyme and ginseng
8 ounces of whole cloves

Combine the ingredients in a large bowl. Blend. Make sachets by choosing a 4 x 4 inch piece of natural fiber with a tight weave, such as silk. Sew three sides together, then fill with the herbs and sew the fourth side shut. You can adapt this pattern to any size you want (2 x 2 is the traditional size for the undergarments drawer, for example). A good idea for small sachets is to fill cotton teabags sold for making your own tea (these are often sold in health food stores). If you are really in a rush, just tie the herbs up in a cotton bandana or handkerchief; place the herbs in the middle, gather the edges together, and tie with a ribbon.

Variation: Other herbs that are good for repelling moths include lavender, lemon, sweet woodruff, and tansy.

They also shared the tip about placing wool items in the freezer to kill any larvae which I saw another poster mention in another thread (sorry, I don't remember who it is to give credit).

As far as mice go, I'm having a hard time finding something natural to do that would be palatable at all. I did see somewhere that placing dryer sheets at points of entry will deter them because they don't like the smell, but I'm skeptical. I also read that used kitty litter used in a similar way will deter them. But, if you have a cat to provide you with used litter it seems to me that you wouldn't have the mouse problem to begin with, provided she's a good mouser. In my experience female cats are better hunters than the males, and my best mousers have been the crazy calicos). And anyway, who wants to scatter used kitty litter around their home??
Go to Top of Page

Glenna
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

glenna
Bonners Ferry ID
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  11:38:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info on moth repellent. I'm with you on the used cat liter. My cats seem to keep things at bay. I am in need of a non-toxic cleaner for a moldy basement. Can you help? I live in northern Idaho. I am also new to the area. Any suggestions from anybody? Glenna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  12:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Glenna!

Vinegar is an awesome disinfectant and mold deterant ect...Use pure- full strenght vinegar in your basement for ALL you cleaning and it will definatly help more than you can imagine. If you can see mold I would go ahead and clorox it first just to start with a clean slate.

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  2:13:44 PM  Show Profile
If you are going to use the freezer to kill eggs and/or larvae on wool or any other thing for that matter, you have to leave it in the freezer for at least 2 weeks. I would say after a week, but that might not be long enough. Some things (like eggs) can persist in cold for quite a while, and it's more of the cold plus dessication you're going after. To be absolutely sure-sure, I would say leave it in the freezer for a month. A very, cold chest freezer is best, not a fridge freezer. When I worked in an insect collection, this is how we made sure all new insects entering into the collection were free of Dermestid eggs/larvae that would like to eat dead insects. And it was a way of not using harmful chemicals.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  4:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Here's a good article about bleach alternatives and why:
http://www.shared-vision.com/2005/sv1807/cleaners1807.html

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  4:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have some ideas on non-toxic pantry moth deterrents? I have used those moth traps with the phermones but they are so expensive!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  1:59:13 PM  Show Profile
I listed some above in my post of July 13. I haven't tried them myself, but I haven't had a real moth problem. I may try them just to make my closets and drawers smell good.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic NON - TOXIC household hints Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page