LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  7:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
If you haven't been following along on Twitter or Instagram... Georgi, my boxer mix, passed away yesterday.

I found the vet I wanted to use after my last posting about Georgi here. Well, DH and I don't have a vehicle, and it seemed cruel (in this heat) to make Georgi walk the nearly 2 miles to the vet, so we started looking for a ride, offering cash for gas. No one was available.

Then his stool got very... cow manure... that's all I can say and we started looking more diligently, as Georgi seemed to just not feel well at all.

A week ago today, Georgi skipped half his dinner, and refused food every night after that. He lost probably 20 or more pounds in 4 days while we struggled to find him a ride. DH even asked the vet directly for help, saying it was an emergency. Vet said there were no pet ambulances in Hickory, to take a cab. Cab company refused to allow Georgi to ride without a crate, which we didn't have -- the only person I know with a crate large enough lives in another state. I looked up pet taxis... the local ones charge $40 for a round trip to a vet which is required to be within a 5 mile radius of the dog's home, and applicants for the service are required to go through a grueling process involving a home visit, the application, and... at that point, I quit reading. Georgi was not some toddler applying to a ritzy preschool of the arts society...

Friday morning, DH finally found a friend with enough time to take us. The vet I took him too... completely rude to us and had her priorities all mixed up. I counted my dog's ribs and spinal vertebrae while she counted the pennies I couldn't pay up front. Her finance manager caught on that I just really needed someone more caring and gave me the number for a mobile vet, whom I called immediately.

The vet wasn't able to make it till today. Yesterday... Georgi stopped breathing. And his heart... I tried desperately to revive him with Gingy's help (Gingy is our little dog)... No success. I screamed Georgi's name repeatedly... to no answer.

We are shell-shocked and heartbroken. Even Gingy. He keeps crying tiny little tears... his face is soaked since then.

The vet still came today, and she and her assistant were flat out AH-MAY-ZING. They spent a good 10 minutes just playing with Gingy amid inputting computer data for all our remaining pets, plus checking on them and giving rabies shots. They really cheered him up and let him show off, giving us a little down-time from the constant, and insistent need to give him attention.

Also, the vet... she told me that given the list of Georgi's symptoms, though he was very young to go, there was literally nothing anyone could have done to save him. Whatever this was, was not parasites (though they may have been present), but more likely something more subtle... cancer, or lymph node issues. She reassured me that we'd done the right thing by Georgi, letting him be here with his family when he went -- though it was an unfortunately traumatic experience for us.

Georgi... he wasn't certified or even trained. But we adopted him for the purpose of helping me cope with my anxiety. Gingy is a wonderful dog, too, and so far, doing a great job of being the "back-up". But...it feels difficult to breathe the last couple days... I found biking helps a little...the wind in my face and all. But my bike sort of fell apart on me today -- the good news being that it's so new, I can take it back to the store and swap it for a not-so-faulty mechanism... axle is loose and the chain literally broke on me today. Bad news is that to get the bike swapped, I have to leave Gingy at home, and probably travel a little (city bus) alone... and I don't know if we're ready for that -- even if the house does feel empty.

But I'm rambling...

Please pray for all of us. All kitties and Gingy have a fairly clean bill of health from the vet we fell in love with today. The cats need their teeth brushed and some weight control formula. Gingy was perfection aside from his obvious grieving. Perfect weight. Perfect knees. Everything. So far, he has spent today celebrating his big brother's life by playing ball in the field where they walked together so much. It has been the highlight of his day, my arm is a little sore...aaaaannd he's attempting to bury his Busy Bone between my legs...not cool, dude. "Daddy" needs to come home stat... I never knew caring for a tearful puppy could be so involved...

http://lalauland.tumblr.com
http://lalauland.etsy.com
Follow me on Twitter: @lalauland
DH and I share a blog: http://wesubtleties.tumblr.com
Follow on Twitter: @wesubtleties

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  8:08:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry you lost your beloved Georgi. Praying for you and for little Gingy. I'm glad you found a good vet. That other vet sounds like she needs a heart transplant. Georgi, being a boxer mix, may have had cardiomyopathy, which runs in boxers. If I lived nearby I'd come over and let you cry on my shoulder. Be strong, don't be ashamed to cry and allow little Gingy to comfort you.((((Hugs)))
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  5:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Laura I am so sorry about your dog. Its hard losing our furbabies. I am glad you still have the other little dog for comfort. Prayers and hugs to you all.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  08:53:47 AM  Show Profile
Dear Laura,
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. It is never easy to lose a furbaby, especially one as special as your beloved Georgi sounds. I just saw a saying that Heaven is where all the dogs we've ever loved greet us on our arrival. Your pup knew he was loved, and that is the most important thing. I wouldn't be upset that he died at home...I have taken several to be put down, and it is awful (though there was no other choice), but I have had two cats and a dog pass at home, and it was comfortable and not traumatic for them as would a trip to the vet.

I'm sure your other pup feels the loss too. Wish I could give you both a big hug.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  11:07:19 AM  Show Profile
I also know the feeling of grief from losing an animal at a young age from an illness we didn't understand. They will always live in our hearts.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2014 :  07:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all so very much.

Georgi was quite beloved. It's still a bit difficult to deal with. I'm pretty much done with the crocodile tears and the hyperventilative crying. But... if you've ever had a panic / anxiety attack, you may have experienced a sort of "afterglow" feeling as the attack dissipates. I don't regret having him pass here. I know it was MUCH more peaceful knowing everyone was here... knowing he was where he wanted to be. But when I saw he wasn't breathing, I had an attack while desperately trying to revive him. At first, I thought he was just unconcious and had stopped breathing...

My bike is still in the shop being repaired. I wish they'd hurry up with it -- it was helping me feel better.

We've buried him, and Gingy still misses him. Please continue your prayers for us. Thank you.

http://lalauland.tumblr.com
http://lalauland.etsy.com
Follow me on Twitter: @lalauland
DH and I share a blog: http://wesubtleties.tumblr.com
Follow on Twitter: @wesubtleties
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Georgi Boy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page