Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Already Thinking About Fall Holidays 2014!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Already Thinking About Fall Holidays 2014!!! Next Topic
Page: of 11

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  10:39:52 PM  Show Profile
You girls always make me smile

Thanks so much for starting this thread Judy and thank you everyone for contributing.
Miss Connie, as always your photos are great!

Tonight the temps will be dipping down to 44 degrees. It has been feeling like Fall for the past couple of weeks. I love Fall so much but I would like to be able to harvest more from our garden and hopefully get some ripe tomatoes :)

Saturday is my day to decorate for Fall and I cannot wait :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6982 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6982 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  10:40:02 PM  Show Profile
No candy corn on Brookshire Grocery Store's shelves today, so I guess I will just have to wait a little longer for the first sign of fall around here. On the other hand the shadows are starting to lengthen so there's hope.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  06:04:15 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I found Candy Corn in JoAnn Fabric in early August so you might be able to find some if you have that store in your area.

Guess what Farmgirls???? WE had a low of 63 degrees here last night and matched a 100 year old record for the same date! Unheard of to be that cool here! What happened was the hurricane Cristobel set up a ridge of high air in the Atlantic allowing drier air to filter down as far as north Florida for two days. It was wonderful to go outside and enjoy coffee on the porch! Alas, the heat and humidity return today and the foreseeable future is back to hot, humid and rain everyday! sigh.

Hahaha, Sharon, I am right behind you on Fall decorating!! My official launch date is September 1 and I plan to start digging out my things in the AC and heat. Fall is my favorite time of year too! I am so envious of your 44 degree nights!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6982 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6982 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  06:58:25 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, so glad you had a sighting of the elusive candy corn. Paris doesn't have a JoAnn Fabric and I am picky about what candy corn I buy. Only Bachs for me. Don't want any of that fake stuff made in China.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5159 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5159 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  07:11:02 AM  Show Profile
Candy Corn is here at Wal-mart!

Sharon, love the cool low temps you have! I am glad you enjoy the pictures!
Winnie, same here we are setting records with the heat every day this week!! Wow a low of 63! last night here was 76 for the low!! Our County fair starts Tomorrow and it is always Hot!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Farmgirl of the Month, August 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6982 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6982 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  07:33:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for another sighting, Connie, but I stay out of Wal-Mart.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  10:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I know what you mean about Brach's Candy Corn. It is the only one I ever purchase. Have you tried the Brach's Candy Apple Corn? Or maybe it is Caramel Apple? Anyway, if you see any of it, give it a try. Really good.

Speaking of Brach's fall candy, who else loves their little orange pumpkins besides me?

Beautiful photo, Connie! Enjoy your weekend at the county fair. I hope it is not dreadfully hot!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  10:37:19 AM  Show Profile

Winnie...love all of their candies...I would have to say they are a diabetics nightmare!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Autumn~The year's last, loveliest smile."

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5159 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5159 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  6:46:35 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I love the little Pumpkins! and the Carmel Apple Candy Corn it is so addicting!! Mix a bag of Reg. Candy Corn with a can of Planters salted Peanuts in a Bowl! Yummy!!!!!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5159 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5159 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  6:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Fall Candy!

Connie Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  05:39:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Connie!! Now, that is what I'm talkin' about!

The Brach's mix with the regular candy corn, the mini pumpkins, and the Indian corn candy corn=A bag of Fall Genius! It covers all the needs from September to Thanksgiving. And yes, Judy, it is a diabetic nightmare! It is a sugar nightmare for all of us, really. But, I can't resist and every year, I have to have at least one bag of the Brach's Fall Mix.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6982 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6982 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  07:38:41 AM  Show Profile
Connie, thanks for the pics. Just in case I had forgotten what it looks like - after all it's been a year since I have had any - I will now know candy corn when I finally get my hands on it.

I'm planning on filling pint jars with candy corn and covering the lids with a cloth topper tied with yarn or heavy twine with beads. They look so fallish just sitting around waiting to be given away.

Will check out Salvation Army for any fall colored fabric or clothes that can be used.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5159 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5159 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  08:50:44 AM  Show Profile

Winnie, I have to have one whole bag too!!

Sara, that sounds pretty! I love to put a smaller vase or jar inside another and fill it with candy corn. I had one on my desk at work every year and those people who don't craft much, couldn't figure out how the Candy Corn was not wet! LOL!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  10:30:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm a little late to the fall party, but I started at the beginning and got caught up :) I'll trade some one my share of candy corn for some apple cider! It's been really warm here the last week, but this morning it was chilly and I told hubby some pumpkin donuts and apple cider sounded wonderful!!! I'm not sure what our fall is going to be like. I'm afraid it's going to get cold soon. A lot of our trees are loosing leaves - without changing colors, and I noticed that our cows are starting to get their longer winter coats!

Here's a picture that made me think of you Connie and Judy

Here's a couple more

Anyone got their mums yet?

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  10:36:43 AM  Show Profile

Heather...thank you for joining us:):):)and for the pictures...it's been almost a year since I lost my Sweet Kitty...I have more fur babies now...but I still miss him so much:(I think the orange tabby's are so cute with an Autumn background...keep the pictures coming girls:):):)

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  11:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Connie, pumpkin donuts, apple cider you say???? I had completely forgotten about that combination. Mmmmmm, count me in on tracking down that combination for a chilly morning treat! Chilly morning? Ohhh, count your blessings because we are back into the soupy hot and humid summer. It was 75 this morning after being 63 on Thursday. sigh. Love your photos too!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6982 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6982 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  11:24:19 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I will just have to borrow your glass in glass trick.

I just got back from an outing with my niece, Mallie. There's a new shop 'Paris Olive' in town and she thought I would like it & I did.

They infuse olive oil & balsamic vinegar with all kinds of good flavors. The oils & vinegars are stored in stainless steel containers with spigots. The clerk fills the size bottle you want. Mallie gifted me with a bottle & I chose the blood orange olive oil.

One of the vinegars was pumpkin spice. Didn't taste it but will next time. They have little cups for tasting oil & vinegar with cubes of French bread for dipping.

The clerk mixed the blood orange oil with dark chocolate vinegar and it was very good.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  11:58:21 AM  Show Profile
OH girls all of this Fall Fun is making me smile today!!! I made pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting for the girls at work yesterday- they gobbled them up!! I went home with an empty pan with a few crumbs!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.

Edited by - crafter on Aug 29 2014 12:01:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  1:40:19 PM  Show Profile

Lori...sounds so delicious!!!

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile
Sara-- I am confused on my glass in glass trick?? Maybe someone else mentioned it? I like those places with infused olive oils. My daughter has one in town in Asheville, NC and I have had a few of them that were outstanding!

Lori, no wonder those pumpkin bars with cream cheese disappeared! They sound fantastic! Anything with cream cheese frosting is yummy.

Heather, I see where it was YOU talking about donuts and hot cider! I think I read the post too quickly. Yes, I did get a small pot of mums last week for $3.33!! They were the sort of pumpkin colored ones and I have enjoyed them a lot. I like the spicy smell and they make good cut flowers too.

All this talk of Fall treats has me hungry! You know, come to think of it, I am pretty sure Dunkin Donuts makes Apple Cider donuts in the fall. A friend and I used to love to get them in the donut holes style for a treat!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  2:29:25 PM  Show Profile
Connie,
Just one bag? I just stopped and pick 2 up ...

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6982 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6982 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  2:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, sorry about the misstep. When I was writing my post I looked for who had posted it and saw your name close to the picture of glass with candy corn and looked no further. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I stand corrected: Connie I really like your idea and will borrow it.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5159 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5159 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  3:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Heather love the pictures!!
Lori, YUM!! Sara, It is fun to make!!
Teri, I was being a lady! LOL! I go thru about 4 bags! by the end of November!! My Hubby helps!! We have a Donut shop here in Arlington, Tennessee, that makes Pumpkin Spice donuts starting September 1st till the end of December! It is a 50 year old Recipe. We use to get them when I was a little girl from Memphis, that location burned down in the 1990's and they moved to Arlington, Tn. You can call that morning and they will save your dozen till you get there. It is a 30 minute drive form My house to the Donut Shop! They sell out every day by the afternoon and that is tripling what they baked the year before!! We are going Monday to get our first one! They melt in your Mouth!! now I am Hungry for one! LOL!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 29 2014 3:08:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6982 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6982 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  3:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Connie, what a fun 'little adventure'.

I usually eat 2 bags through out the fall months. I eat very little sweets anymore, but I still think I have to have candy corn.

Haven't figured up yet how many bags to buy for give-away jars.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Connie I wish I could come with you!!! I don't know of anywhere to get any around me so I found this recipe that looks worth trying:

Spiced Pumpkin Doughnuts

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or a Dash of ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil for deep-fat frying

Directions
1. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high seed for 30 seconds. Add the 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in pumpkin, buttermilk, egg, egg yolk and vanilla until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour until well combined. Cover and chill 3 hours.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-inch doughnut cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Reroll as necessary.
3. Fry doughnuts, 2 or 3 at a time, in deep, hot fat (365 degrees F) about 2-1/2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Using a slotted spoon, removed doughnuts from oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining doughnuts and doughnut holes. Coat warm doughnuts in Spiced Sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes about 12 doughnuts plus holes.

Spiced Sugar
Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions
1.In a small bowl, stir together sugar, ground cinnamon, and freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg.

Now to find the time to try it!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Holidays: Previous Topic Already Thinking About Fall Holidays 2014!!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page