True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2014 :  1:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ohio Farmgals
We are preparing to organize a chapter in central Ohio. (atkinst2 and myself) So not only are we here to recruit, but We wanted a place for all Ohio gals to chat. A place they can ask questions of other Ohio farmgals, inspire, share their ideas, thoughts, share what's going on in your neck of the woods. When we are organized we would like to meet up with other chapters for day trips and fun! So we invite all Ohio farmgals to share this thread and chat away!

Locally here in Ohio there is an awesome exhibit at the Ohio History Museum.
"About 1950s: Building the American Dream
Experience life in the 1950s by putting your feet up on the couch, playing a record, peeking in drawers, and rolling in the grass in a full-size prefabricated Lustron home built inside the museum at the Ohio History Center.
“This is an exhibit unlike any other. We want visitors to touch, feel, and try everything in the home so they can immerse themselves in an authentic 1950s experience,” said Sharon Dean, director of museum and library services for the Ohio History Connection.

Expect to see items like a 1957 Chevy Bellaire, an Airstream trailer, Roy Rogers toys and decorations, a bomb shelter hatch, 1950s television news and programs, and a combination clothes and dishwasher! Stop by at the right time and you may get to meet a Lustron salesperson on the front lawn, a doctor making a house call, or a mother making a cake in the kitchen.

Importantly, the exhibit is not all fun and games, but also offers an investigation of the 1950s that goes beneath the glossy, fun pop culture of the time period to examine the challenging and darker undercurrents of the decade. While our cultural memory “remembers” the 1950s as a time of poodle skirts, rock n’ roll, and ideal family roles, this exhibit will invite visitors to dig below the surface to see the lives of real people. Building the American Dream explores the complexity of the time and offers the opportunity to understand and reflect on some of the prevailing myths of the decade.

With the Lustron home as the literal frame to experience the decade, the exhibit invites visitors to explore the complex social environment of a “real” nuclear family from Central Ohio living in a Lustron home during the 1950s: a father, mother, boy, and new baby girl. "

Check it out and plan on joining us there sometime soon!
http://www.ohiohistory.org/exhibits/ohio-history-center-exhibits/1950s/About

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2014 :  3:20:26 PM  Show Profile
Wow Patty, great post. I am so looking forward to getting together. Talk with ya soon.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2014 :  09:26:23 AM  Show Profile
Theresa,
Here is the link on the woad. http://www.woad.org.uk/ I have it in it's final stages. The pigment is laying in the bottom of the jar. Will pour it out into a teflon pan today to dry. :)

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  06:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Wow Patty that is really interesting. Did you grow the plant too? Went to the website and it sounds very involved. Looking forward to discussing this with you soon.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  2:01:50 PM  Show Profile
I grew the plant and did not want it to go to waste. :) Nah, I bought it several years ago because I read a little about obtaining blue dye from it. I sure did not know it was so involved when I gathered the leaves this year. I should have gathered them earlier but I let the plants get fairly tall. Next year I will know better. It was a long process for sure, but thus far I can not say it was difficult.

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  7:12:47 PM  Show Profile
It's a DONE deal! Intown Farmgals! 2 members strong. Now to just recruit some more gals!

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2014 :  1:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo Let the fun begin!
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2014 :  5:09:55 PM  Show Profile
The Byrdhaus (Patty) and I (Theresa) had our first Intown Farmgal outing last week. A nice trip to Clifton Mill, Yellow Springs and Young's Dairy. It was a great day. Couldn't have asked for better weather. The shops in Yellow Springs are really cute.

Go to Top of Page

proseharley
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

ROSE
dover ohio
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2014 :  06:10:43 AM  Show Profile
I would love to be apart of Ohio group I am in Dover, Ohio.

Rose #5393 Dutch Valley Farmgirl Where rolling hills and buggies you will see.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2014 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile
Rose...I am from the Columbus Area. However, Maybe we could meet up for a day adventure!

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2014 :  6:40:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rose, I think Patty has a great idea! We could always meet up for an outing! Would be fun to meet another MJ Farmgal!
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2014 :  7:42:23 PM  Show Profile
I live in the country an hour NW of Columbus -- have been trying to start a group in central Ohio, and I actually have a post on this board only a few messages down, but I guess you didn't see it! May be interested in getting together with you at some point :)
))

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #4236
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  03:27:16 AM  Show Profile
We would love that Leah! Any suggestions on a get together just lets us know and we will be more than happy to get together!

Patty #1840

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Jul 28 2014 03:29:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  2:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Patty and Leah, Yeppers, sounds like great fun.
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  2:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey, maybe Rose can meet us too!
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  2:34:10 PM  Show Profile
If you live in the Central Ohio area and would like to join us for the very first meeting of the InTown Farmgals it is being held at:

The Columbus Metropolitan Library
South High Branch
3540 S. High Street
Columbus, OH 43207

614-645-2275

Room: South High Meeting Room

Date(s): Thursday, August 21, 2014
Time: 4:45 PM to 6:45 PM

This meeting will be a get to know ya and what type of activities would you like to see this group do.

Hope to see you there!
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2014 :  4:46:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what a beautiful day in Ohio! However it makes me sad that the leaves are beginning to turn on the beans and tomatoes. It is showing signs of the season near it's end. I love the garden and it is truly one of my favorite places to be. Sad to see it fading.

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  6:48:03 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what a great first meeting of the InTown Farmgals. Such enthusiasm! We are lucky to be able to use a library meeting room available with only the use of a library card. (Thanks Theresa) They even have a kitchen for our use if we want to serve goodies to eat. We made felt flower rings to go around our bathroom hand towels. We discussed our farmgal binders (filled with all kinds of info), discussed meeting times, meeting days and a near future road trip to Mansfield Il. Looking forward to the next meeting.

Working on our felt flower rings.

Everyone was given a "flower" pen topped with a recycled coffee filter and covered with ribbon.

Personal binders full of useful info and a place for keepsakes.

Felt flower rings for hanging on handtowels

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

lorizspr
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Lori
Spencer Ohio
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  10:23:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi! Fairly new here, but would love to be part of the Ohio farmgirls! I live in Spencer, which is about 40 miles SW of Cleveland, and 12 miles west of Medina. I can be to Columbus in 1 hr. 45 min. Do I need to join the Farmgirl Connection, or is just posting on the forum enough? Let me know, please! Thanks!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  04:49:27 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
I sent you an email. Hoping you can join us from some meetings! If not you can join us on this thread. We were hoping this thread could be a way for Ohio farmgirls to chat and share events going on in our areas. I know Theresa (atkinst2) and I are up for road trips. :)

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2014 :  6:09:48 PM  Show Profile
I would love to join ur group. I lived in Columbus for 12 years before moving back to myhometown near Lancaster. I still commute back n forth. Send me an email is that how u join?
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  05:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Go Ohio Buckeye Farmgirls!! I love that you were able to organize a group and meet for an afternoon of fun!! Plus, a meeting place with a kitchen? What a perfect idea for a potluck event. Our public libraries are such gifts in our communities. Your felt flower rings are just the cutest craft. What a fun way to add a touch of color . They would make adorable napkin rings too for special dinners like Thanksgiving and Christmas too!! Thanks for sharing photos of your gathering. This florida Farmgirl looks forward to hearing more of your get togethers from the beautiful state of Ohio!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  05:47:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy.

We would love to have you join our group. We will be meeting again at

The Columbus Metropolitan Library
South High Branch
3540 S. High Street
Columbus, OH 43207

614-645-2275

Room: South High Meeting Room

September 25, 2014
4:45 pm - 7:00 pm.

Hope to see ya there.

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  05:48:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Winnie. We had a lot of fun. It is great to have a group of like minded gals to gather with.

I'm sure more photo's are in our future.

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

lorizspr
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Lori
Spencer Ohio
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2014 :  11:30:29 AM  Show Profile
I hope to make it to Columbus on the 25th! I am so looking forward to meeting all of you!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2014 :  4:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Awesome Lori! We are so looking forward to it.

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Ohio Farmgals Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page