Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Merit Badge Shopping Green
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Merit Badge Shopping Green Next Topic  

Glampinggrandma
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Katie
New London MO
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  10:37:00 AM  Show Profile
As I do not belong to a local farmgirl chapter as I don't believe there are any and I am new at this and have not branched out to start one, I am using this area to discuss using reusable shopping bags. I make them and also use some purchased ones and also some wonderful homemade baskets I have obtained at auctions or the local Amish store in my area. It is so nice to be known as the "basket lady" at my local grocery store and I used these baskets for auction items besides the grocery store and I also use them when I go to St. Louis to the famous Soulard's Open market which I do several times a year as I do grow my own produce in summer and fall. The feel of using them is good and I have even made my husband a believer. He will use a bag when shopping but not the baskets. No one calls him the "bag man" however. I tell so many about using reusable bags. When I had somehow accumulated lots of purchased bags or free ones from stores, and had made myself such pretty ones, I decided to share my bags and had a free bag give away at a local grocery store called Aldies. This is a wonderful grocery store. You have to get your cart outside and pay a quarter to release it from the chained line of carts, but you get your quarter back when you return it. Unless, like many people do, they just pass the cart on to another person coming in and that person gives you the quarter (or not). Well, one day I just took about six bags and went along the line putting them in carts to be picked up by people. I put a not inside saying this was a free gift from another shopper and they should consider using reusable wherever they shop. It was fun to see the carts and bags coming into the store while I was shopping and many talked to each other and the cashier, telling them about the free bag and that they were "going" to use it. So in a way I suppose this could qualify for my "bag swap". I did not get a bag in the swap, but I received the joy of giving and also watching others receive. Besides, I did not need any bags. Currently I am working on two quilted bags which I may use for other types of shopping instead of groceries, but will use them for sure.

Country Katie and Daisy Mae

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  4:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Katie, what a great way to share reusable shopping bags! I love it!

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  07:54:54 AM  Show Profile
Katie, your post is so inspiring and uplifting. I'm going to employ some of your tactics for sure. I love your random act to gift your extra bags in shopping carts. I can't thank you enough for how awesome your ideas are. Bag lady extraordinaire indeed.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  07:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh I love how you shared your bags!! Thanks for sharing that here!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  07:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
You have inspired me as I too do not need any more bags as I have more than I can use. I have recently acquired a denim duvet cover that I intend to repurpose into bags and leave in carts at my local Haggen grocery store.

Thank you,
Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  09:35:45 AM  Show Profile
Katie, what a wonderful story and a marvelous way to let others know the importance of re-usable shopping bags. Great idea! If you don't mind, I will borrow your idea. I still have the last part of that badge to do and I was at a loss as to what I should do. All inspired! Thanks

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://musingaboutthisandthat.blogspot.com/
http://www.fibrejunction.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 27 2015 09:39:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  10:33:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dare2BUniquelyMe

You have inspired me as I too do not need any more bags as I have more than I can use. I have recently acquired a denim duvet cover that I intend to repurpose into bags and leave in carts at my local Haggen grocery store.

Thank you,
Sherri
Sister #1350

Oh I love the idea of repurposing that duvet cover! So often, someone has offered me something that I knew I couldn't use in its present form -- what a great inspiration for the future.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  11:50:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh, you have inspired me! Love what you have done with your bags! I, too, will look for a way to share my extra bags.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Merit Badge Shopping Green Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page