True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  10:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Hello sisters!

Many, many moons ago – almost 29 years, to be more precise – when my husband first brought me here to PA to meet the folks (having thrown me over his shoulder, with me kicking and screaming all the way from RI), one of the saving graces of our visit (just kidding – they were very, very nice) was a trip to Andros in McKeesport, where I tried my very first gyro. It was love at first bite… deliciously seasoned shaved slices of spit-rotisseried Greek lamb, lettuce, tomato, onion, and creamy garlicy dill tzatziki sauce wrapped in a luscious fluffy pita (don’t ask me how they do it – it’s just…”fluffy.”), held tightly together in foil. It was ambrosia for the Gods. I’m not willing to say that the gyro is responsible for us falling madly in love, but I will suffice it to say, he had me at the first bite.

A few years back, we were heartbroken to learn that our beloved Andros’s doors had closed. No more gyros – not really good ones, at least. I started making cold lamb sandwiches with tzatziki sauce in a mock attempt to replace them; although they are delicious – there is just something to be said about a cold lamb sandwich! - they just weren’t the same. A dull cast of gray overcame our lives as we silently mourned our loss. Imagine my husband’s excitement when he saw the NEW Andros Restaurant sign going up in Irwin a few weeks back! The first thing we did was head out to the restaurant in eager anticipation of our beloved gyros! Alas, they were still in the process of “redding up” the restaurant, as they say here in the 'burgh. Welling up in tears, we pressed our cold, knobby fingers and runny noses up against the glass windows trying to find out when, oh just when, they would open.

The days and weeks went by, life flooded our moments, but the spark of hope for a gyro never eluded us. Last night we decided to take another drive down, just in the off chance Andros’ doors might be open. What a thrill to find the joint hoppin’! Not a parking space was available – we drove through the circle around the building twice as other cars pulled in to follow. Finally, much to our son’s dismay, we decided to "cheat" and pulled into the parking lot at the closed muffler shop next door – we just couldn’t take the wait any longer!

They were able to seat us right away. Ah, the sights and sounds of Greek home goodness. Our waitress, Athena, was incredibly friendly and attentive. Before we knew it, three different waitresses were moving about to and from our table, ensuring our glasses never dried, and that there was plenty of food and good conversation abounding. We enjoyed their tzatziki platter, a delicious plate of fluffy pita wedges, hummus and tzatziki sauce. Then came the delectable – albeit not Lebanese, but in its own right, delectable – Greek grape leaves (couldn’t get enough). And finally, the piece de resistance – the fabulously mouth-watering gyro appeared, served up even better than memory held. We slowly savored every tummy-filling bite. My husband struck up a conversation with one of the waitresses who had graduated from McKeesport as he did. She is now a teacher there, but also moonlights at Andros, which is an all-family, all home-made goodness business. They had received their permit back in January, and had been dying to open, but they wanted to painstakingly refinish the restaurant in a nautical Greek theme. Every recipe on the menu is coined after the name of one of the family members, and is a unique secret to Andros – you won’t find their flavors anywhere else. And the baked goods – oh my… you should see them! – are all handmade by all of the staff, using homemade family recipes. I must tell you, the baklava looked as if it were to die for, however I couldn’t fit in another bite if you had paid me!

The waitress and my husband reminisced and laughed as they shared stories of the old Andros in McKeesport. He told her about one time when he had eaten two double-meat gyros, and the owner said he’d throw in a third if he’d eat it right there in-house. Of course, the man never passes up food or a chance to eat the most! LOL! The waitress’ eyes lit up – would he be interested in taking the "Spartan Challenge?" She had just written up the rules last night, but hadn’t printed them up for customers yet. She’d love for him to be the first to try! “Four gyros and four plates of fries,” she said. If he could eat them all in one sitting, they’d be free of charge. Of course, my husband’s eye sparkled. Then panic set in as I saw light emanating from our son’s eyes, too. Dear God! No! I had to put my foot down. Not tonight! I was unprepared for the gastronomical nightmare I would have to endure if they were to go through with it. After all, I reminded them, I just got out of the hospital. I needed my rest! Laughing, they both assured me they were too full to proceed with the dare then and there, but they both promised our waitress they’d be back, very soon, indeed - empty-stomached and ready to rise to the challenge! Another crisis averted - thank the Greek "gods" above! ;)

Alas, all good things do come to an end; but thankfully Andros will still be there the next time we have a hankering for gyro goodness. If you live in the Pittsburgh area or are just visiting, the next time you’ve got a craving for something good but haven’t a clue just what that goodness you’re looking for may be, that you’ll swing down by Andros on Route 30 West in Irwin and share in our enthusiasm for one of the greatest sandwiches and family restaurants of all time!

For those of you who don't live in our area, and/or if you’re simply interested in trying to make gyros at home, here is a great link to the Brown Eyed Baker’s recipe: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/09/24/greek-gyro-recipe/ (Her site is one of my favorites). There is a link in her recipe for homemade tzatziki sauce, too, don’t worry! ;) She mentions living near a fabulous Gyro joint in Pittsburgh… Not sure whether it’s Andros, but the meat sure looks close! ;) Perhaps the “fluffy” bread Andros makes is Indian Naan bread instead of pitas? I don’t know, but whatever it is, it’s amazing! Enjoy!

OPA!

Hugs –

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 02 2014 10:42:34 AM

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile
That is so funny, I was just sitting at work this am and the topic of conversation you guessed it gyros. we have an awesome joint in hagerstown md called alekos 2 go. I love it thanks for the link, ill pass it around.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  4:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Loved the story and very happy your favorite restaurant is back! Thank you for sharing the link with us too. I hope you recover quickly and will enjoy another meal soon at your Greek restaurant!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  5:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
I read your post with delight. First that you are doing so well you are up and about, then a Gyros recipe link! We had a small gyros fast food joint in town for a few months and loved it, but Minnesota isn't the most adventurous for food and it didn't last. Rumor has it that some Minnesotans think ketchup is kind of spicy!

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  5:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Irony and comedy right here. I knew I liked you, but didn't know we had so much in common.

I am from Kansas, my DH is from NYC! 14 years ago, we were CRAZY! lol We met online about 17 years ago, and after chatting for three years, and really really getting to know each other through those chats, and even chatting with each others cousins, friends, mom's and dad's, etc etc. We made the craziest decision of our lives, he proposed to me over the phone, and I said yes...then we proceeded to plan a wedding with out ever meeting the other in real life first! He came to Kansas in March and we married 2 days after we met in person!

And a week later I moved to Brooklyn NY!

Well.... he would call me on his way home from work and ask did I want a lamb gyro, and my answer was always no way! lol I had never had lamb before. Kansas is BEEF country baby! lol But, he would bring his self home one and it would smell soooo good!

So one day I asked for a bite....it was LOVE at first bite. I also LOVED the tatziki sauce! In fact I dare say that may be one of my favorite parts, and the fluffy pita too! The only problem was for me, is I have a very delicate digestive system, so for about 6 months every time I had a lamb gyro I would get horrible cramps and diarrhea....but it was worth it! Finally my body acclimated to lamb and I can eat it with out problems now. We found many many GOOD gyro places in NYC, and when some of our favorites would close we would find so not so good ones too! lol haha

Moving to Kansas we thought we would miss our old Gyros in NYC, but I remembered before I married a Mediterranean restaurant opened, that my dad just so happened to take me to, and since back then I didn't eat lamb I hadn't tried the Gyros, I had had the vegan platter, which was AMAZING hummus (I had never had before!), tabouli, olives, all kinds of yummies. I ate it all up way back then and suffered more intestinal distress, but it was worth every bite! So I told my husband let's see if they have good gyros I bet they do since I remember that vegan platter years ago being so good. And it's now our go to spot...and boy do they have a lot of good food, the babaganoush, and roasted artichoke soup are both to die for. And you can get the gyro, (double meat, we always do so we can have half for lunch the next day!) with either fries, or fattoush salad. One day we were at the mall and decided to try the gyros there, they were good too but about 1/3 more expensive. But, their gyro plate you could get fries, salad, OR hummus! So when I asked our old friends at the original restaurant could I have hummus instead of fries or salad they said yes...so now I don't have to pay for hummus on the side, and get just the right amount! It's soooo good! We even had it a few times for our anniversary meal. (Which we usually save for our favorite most most favorite restaurant! And apparently it's up there! lol haha) Although on one anniversary we got the lamb shank, and oh my goodness talk about melt in your mouth goodness!

Any way...I'm there with you girl, and since moving back here we have a ton of great meditereanean restaurants now, that we really enjoy, and I have even ventured out and am now making my own tatziki sauce that I think is pretty darn good! My husbands cousins say I am making it wrong cause I add feta, onion and garlic and dill, diced nearly minced cucumber and no mint!(they think it should only be greek yogurt and mint, and SHREDDED cucumber and that's it! They really think I must massacre it because I don't shred the cuc, but we like it like that, now mind you they have NEVER tasted mine just don't like the way the recipe sounds!) I had been trying and trying to figure out what I was doing wrong with that recipe for years... I knew I was adding all the right seasonings-dill, onion and garlic, but it always tasted hallow-not the depth of what we got at our favorite restaurants. I kept on and on trying to figure it out... what was giving it the depth, so one day I just decided to try the feta in it, and that was it! The final final ingredient I had been missing for 1 1/2 decades! lol So now we can make our own, and if I am too busy that week oikos makes a pretty good one now! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Mar 02 2014 5:22:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  06:21:35 AM  Show Profile
Nini,

Thank you for sharing that link. We love Gyros and I cannot wait to try it!

Heather thanks for making me smile :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  2:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Glad you're all enjoying the post and the recipe! Good things MUST be shared! :)

Heather - you made me smile, too! :) Growing up, I had SUCH an aversion to lamb. My aunt and uncle raised sheep, and one year, as a thank you to my family for helping out with the haying, they gave us - gulp - my pet, the runt! And I'm not talking as a pet - I'm talking as in Easter dinner! I will never forget it as long as I live. I cried so much, I was sent to my room without any dinner. :( After that, I couldn't even look at lamb for years! But when I met my husband, there was no refusing lamb anymore... His family's Lebanese... Lamb is practically a meal requirement! LOL! Now I love it. I do love the Greek grape leaves, but they're just no comparison to the Lebanese "hand grenades," as the men in our family affectionately call them - those Lebanese grape leaves are the best! The Greek ones are nice every now and then, but if I have my druthers, I'm going for the ones my mother-in-law taught me to make! :) And as far as the tzatziki sauce goes, I say make it how YOU like it - you're the one who's going to eat it! I make mine with yogurt, finely chopped garlic, a little dill AND mint (sounds weird, but tastes so good!), finely chopped cucumber and a pinch of salt...I haven't ever mixed it with feta... I usually do use it on my lamb or veggie sandwiches though, along with hummus - OMGOSH it's so good! I'll have to try it your way next time!!! I'm not sure my sauce is actually tzatziki, though... I think it's just a cucumber dressing that suits my taste, that's all. :)

Cindy! Minnesotans would DIE at my house! Here, ketchup is a side dish! LOL! Just kidding - but we sure do like it! Did you know that originally Heinz sold ketchup as a vegetable - as something to be used as a side dish? Amazing!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 07 2014 03:16:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  8:45:40 PM  Show Profile
lol mine probably is more of a cuc dressing too. We eat it on every thing. It is awesome on fish...instead of tartar sauce, the cucumber sauce is soo soo good...never going back to tartar again! We put it on sandwiches, we put it on every thing! And I LOVE hummus too...mmmm mmmm yummy! :)

We have a lot of places to choose from here and almost all are awesome. Need to take my nephew to a few! :)

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2014 :  03:23:53 AM  Show Profile
You know what I'd really love to learn how to make? Baklava! Mmmm.... Have you ever made it, girls? My hubby's aunt makes it and it's soooo good, but I don't think it's as easy to make as you'd think! Or, maybe it is...???

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2014 :  06:47:50 AM  Show Profile
I know a lot of people make it here... I haven't ever made it... I think it's hard cause that phylo is hard to work with... but people give my mom it every year...

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2014 :  08:16:43 AM  Show Profile
WOW! Nini you have such a way with words! I have never tried a gyro - sadly with being gluten intolerant, if not celiac, I may have to make myself one rather than try an authentic one :/ But alas, homemade is certainly better than none :)

Your post goes along with my heart-felt desire to learn authentic recipes of various cultures. Perhaps I will put out a "plea" for recipes, website suggestions and cookbook suggestions for such a thing! My hubby is Air Force and has visited sooooooooooooooooo many different countries. He talks about all the wonderful foods. My only request has been cookbooks from the various countries. I think he thought I was crazy because I have only received two. Now, due to back issues, he doesn't deploy anymore, which s wonderful in that he's home, but sad in that it means no more cultural experiences for him to share. Soooooo with all that, does anyone have any suggestion???

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  09:02:07 AM  Show Profile
YUM!!! Gyros are very good and yesterday, we found a food truck in Portlandia that served the best gyros I've had since my college days! I do enjoy lamb, very much, but yesterday I decided to try the garlic chicken instead! And the sauce was AMAZING!!! Now I want more!!!! YUM!!! Love the tales, gals!!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  09:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, my aunt has a wonderful Lebanese cookbook, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me... I'll ask her and let you know. Also, if you like Irish food, Darina Allen is the Queen of REAL Irish cuisine! I love her books "Forgotten Skills of Cooking," and "Irish Traditional Cooking." She also wrote one about the Ballymaloe Cooking School, but I haven't picked it up yet. Here is a website that features a few of her recipes, if you'd like to check them out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/darina_allen

Mmmm... Ally - that sounds yummy!!! If you find a good recipe, please let us know!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  10:47:33 AM  Show Profile
I have never made gyro meat (it's kind of long and drawn out).... but I think Alton Brown had the best sounding way of making it (sounded like what I eat).

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  12:32:27 PM  Show Profile
nini - thank you so much! I will definitely try some of the recipes and possibly buy the books! If you find out the name of the Lebanese cookbook, please let me know!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Gyros! OPA! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page