Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Farm Office Next Topic  

TamiC
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Tami
Soda Springs Idaho
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  8:07:57 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for ideas and tips to organize a Farm Office.
Im needing help with setting up a functional filing system and keeping everything neat and organized. Please share your ideas of what works for you. If any of you Farm Gals want to share pictures please send them to
tamicole3@msn.com
Thank You
Tami~
(Proud to be an Idaho Wheat Farmer)

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  06:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Tami,

I use a pretty simple filing system. I have a folder for each month. We put all the receipts in the corresponding folder. At the beginning of each month, I sort the receipts from the previous month into the categories I have set up on an Excel Spreadsheet, I enter each receipt, then I paperclip them together in their categories. I use a sticky note to identify the category and then I put them back into the monthly folder. After tax time, I put the folders in a file box that is labeled and store them away for 7 years.

It has worked very well for us, though we are a small operation. I hope this helps. :)

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2014 :  05:25:29 AM  Show Profile
I use an excel spread sheet too. I have a column for the date, the amount and then the item. I try to keep up with the spread sheet before any receipts go into the folders. Then have the column do the sums at the bottom. I just have to write down the sums and what they were for. Fuel, maintenance, supplies, vet, seed, fertilizer, feed. The key is keeping up with it monthly or whatever works for you, like sherone said. Then the job is not overwhelming at tax time.

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

TamiC
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Tami
Soda Springs Idaho
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2014 :  08:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Thank You Sherone & Michele
I will start working on a system like yours.
Thanks for the ideas.
Tami
Go to Top of Page

TamiC
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Tami
Soda Springs Idaho
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2014 :  10:28:55 AM  Show Profile
Can I ask you guys how take care of the bills every month. I have them all over my desk. I know that sounds crazy but I really need some organizing skills with all the monthly bill paying. I get it done but my desk is always cluttered with paper
Tami
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  05:48:29 AM  Show Profile
Tami,

This one is easy peasy. I created a fun little box that is the width of a file folder. I decorated it to match my kitchen. In the box, I placed a roll of address labels, a few pens, a box of envelopes and a roll of stamps. Then I labeled file folders 1 - 31. As the bills come in, I open them and write out the check. I attach them to their return envelope with a paper clip. If there isnt a return envelope, I create one. I attach the address label and the stamp and file them in the folder of the day that I want to pay them. Then every day, I check the folders to see if I need to mail something out. This also works if you like to pay for your bills with a credit card or online. Just put a sticky note on the bill saying online or CC. Hope this helps!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  07:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Sherone, that is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  05:07:15 AM  Show Profile
Good ideas Sherone. All about being organized. Creating the spaces you need to do it really helps. A mess is overwhelming to me, so I really try to keep up with paper work. Good luck

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

TamiC
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Tami
Soda Springs Idaho
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  07:07:17 AM  Show Profile
I love your Idea Sherone using the file box. This will be a big help. Thank You!
Do you use hanging files or the manila tab file folders?
would you send me a picture to my e-mail-- Tamicole3@msn.com
You & Michelle have been a big help:)
Tami
(Proud to be an Idaho Wheat Farmer)
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Farm Office Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page