Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sourdough? Next Topic  

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  4:35:19 PM  Show Profile
No, it turned out interesting. We've made our own starter, but are having a difficult time finding a good recipe. The starter is very active, full of bubbles, and smells divinely sour! But when we bake the bread, it turns out like a rock, and the taste is pretty bland. Nothing like sourdough. (and I was raised on San Fran sourdough....just never taught how to make it! LOL!) I guess I'm just looking for any tips/advice/recipes that you ladies may have tucked away! We've decided not to buy bread anymore and I'm not sure how much longer I can go on eating dense cardboard rocks!!! HELP!!!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  5:39:49 PM  Show Profile
OK, I just read through the other thread. It took me a while, but I think I've got some ideas to try!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Edited by - AFinkberry on Jan 03 2014 5:40:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  10:03:12 AM  Show Profile
You're adding too much flour. Are you scooping your flour with a spoon into a measuring cup and leveling it with a knife? That's a right way of measuring flour. If you use the measuring cup to scoop out the flour you're compressing it and actually using more than needed. Common practice so don't feel bad. Your recipe is probably OK. If you like, I'll dig up some of my own. We love sourdough bread in this household. Hubster grew up in the Bay area and got me hooked on the local specialty. Sourdough pancakes are the best!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  3:40:29 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Sylvia! I've always used my measuring cup to scoop it out, but this makes so much more sense! I've never knew! I would love to get a few recipes from you! Thank you!!!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2014 :  9:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Sourdough bread is very different to make than bread with active yeast. It rises very slowly and every stage takes longer. There are good books out there that specifically on sourdough. Tartiine bread book is one of them.

http://www.rosemancreekranch.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2014 :  4:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Ally~

Just was going to mention that if you check out the post under Bread the MaryJane way you will find lots of wonder recipe and many many ideas and tip on making and using a sour dough starter. When the starter recipe came out in the MJ magazine it was something that I just had to try. My sour dough starter need a little help the first few times before the natural yeast developed. Below is a recipe that was shared on page 8 of the posts to help all of use get over the beginning stages of our starter and it works great. No bricks when using this recipe. Thanks again to Ronna for sharing that recipe way back when. Just can't believe it was back in 2009. I know there are many pages to go through in the Bread post.... But well worth reading a few pages each night to find some tried and true information.

Best of luck to you.

Posted - Jan 22 2009 : 9:23:11 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote

For those who've baked "bricks" and anxious for a loaf to enjoy, try this San Franciso Style French Bread...it does use yeast, but your starter will add to the flavor. Hopefully, those of you new to bread baking,especially with sourdough, will stay on board and keep trying.

San Francisco "style" French Bread
1 pkg or 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tblsp sugar
1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
5 cups flour (approx)
2 tsp salt
Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl. Let soften 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and starter, then gradually add 4 cups flour mixed with salt. Cover with damp towel and let rise in warm place until about doubled in size, approx 1 1/2 hours.
Turn dough onto floured board and work in about 1 cup flour or until dough is no longer sticky. Knead until smooth and satiny, about 5 min. Can use heavy duty mixer with dough hook.
Shape dough into one large round or two oval loaves. Place on baking sheet sprinkled with fine cornmeal or flour so it doesn't stick. Let rise again in warm place until nearly doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Place shallow pan of water on lower shelf of oven heated to 400 degrees. Using sharp knife or single edge razor blade, make diagonal slashes in the bread. Bake at 400 for 40-50 minutes, until crust is medium dark brown.
Dough is slashed just before baking for a reason. The sudden heat will cause the loaf to 'burst' with a final rise and the slash keeps it looking nice. Strangely shaped loaves if it's not done.
Salt is not added until the yeast has a chance to start working, as it slows the action of the yeast. Sugar boosts the yeast, so it's added at the beginning.
If you can wait for the bread to cool (I know, it's hard when it smells so good), it will slice easier. Sometimes bread that's cut or torn right out of the oven will be gummy.
Enjoy! Ronna

Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  05:41:03 AM  Show Profile
The only thing about the " sourdough" mentioned above, is it's not a true sourdough. A true sourdough has NO ACTIVE YEAST ! Can I emphasize that enough ? Active yeast, brought in as a byproduct of brewers yeast, eats sugar in a dough, while a sourdough bacteria eats the flour, creating a truly fermented dough.
A sourdough bread is grown usually in three stages, starter, preferment ( a bigger portion of the dough, usually a third) , then mixing the dough. Letting it ferment for a few hours depending on temperature ( 85+ degrees, or longer at cooler temps), Folding- to stretch the gluten. Then shaping the loaves, not like shaping yeasted breads, but more tightly rolled. Sourdough bread does not ever get " punched down" as the bubbles are slowly formed, all you are trying to do is stretch the dough, thereby releasing the co2 that comes from the fermentation. After shaping, a sourdough rises for three, plus hours before baking. Again depending on temperature., higher temperatures you might not proof the dough that long. Then bake, yum !

http://www.rosemancreekranch.com
Go to Top of Page

weavingthefuture
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

lissa
zelienople pennsylvania
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  09:10:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KD Earthwork

The only thing about the " sourdough" mentioned above, is it's not a true sourdough. A true sourdough has NO ACTIVE YEAST ! Can I emphasize that enough ? Active yeast, brought in as a byproduct of brewers yeast, eats sugar in a dough, while a sourdough bacteria eats the flour, creating a truly fermented dough.
A sourdough bread is grown usually in three stages, starter, preferment ( a bigger portion of the dough, usually a third) , then mixing the dough. Letting it ferment for a few hours depending on temperature ( 85+ degrees, or longer at cooler temps), Folding- to stretch the gluten. Then shaping the loaves, not like shaping yeasted breads, but more tightly rolled. Sourdough bread does not ever get " punched down" as the bubbles are slowly formed, all you are trying to do is stretch the dough, thereby releasing the co2 that comes from the fermentation. After shaping, a sourdough rises for three, plus hours before baking. Again depending on temperature., higher temperatures you might not proof the dough that long. Then bake, yum !

thank you!!! that's the best explanation i've seen of the differences between sourdough and yeasted breads. it makes sense, and hopefully will correct some of the problems i've had when baking with sourdough.

sustainingmyspirit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  4:58:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, I've been making the bread Mary Janes way, and we really like it! But I am going to try Ronna's way! But it's taken us a few tries to get it just right! We don't have a cast iron pan, so it's taken a little tweaking, but so far so good!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sourdough? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page